SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking into about buying a .308 rifle. I know that Ullie has recommended the DPMS with a 20 inch barrel as a good buy.

Any thoughts about the LMT .308 rifle?

Also, any ideas why so many manufacturers are offering their .308 rifles with shorter 16 inch barrels?

Thanks.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'd look hard at the LWRC REPR if coin allows.

Don't rule out the post war classics. Both my M1a and FAL have served me well.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The British Army really likes the LMT -- they ordered 440 of them after testing it against the HK 417, to use as a semi-auto precision marksman rifle. It is a direct impingement design, which is a drawback in my book, but there are a lot of AR owners who would beg to differ (until it is time to clean our guns, at least).

Some SWAT LEOs have complained about the large Magpul SRS stock, but supposedly the LMT SOPMOD stock is the stock design to order....

$2500 MSRP -- you're bumping into FN SCAR 17S territory, and I'd rather wait and buy the SCAR (the first run will be black, confirmed by FNH-USA) because it's a gas piston design and has a folding stock, not to mention I think it is the best 7.62 weapon available in the market today.

I have seen and handled the LWRC REPR - you definitely want to comparison shop against it. Really nice weapon.

Other direct impingement AR options would be the superb Larue Tactical OBR (in the same price range as the LMT) and yes, the venerable Armalite AR-10 (very accurate semi-auto rifle).

I have to agree with lenardlex - the M1As are very hard to beat (ask the soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan how good they are in combat, to this day) and you could get a real nice M1A for that kind of money, and get 25 or 30 round mags to boot.... I own three variants of the M1A, and all of them are utterly reliable, accurate, and these will beat or give an AR weapon fits even in long-range competition in the hands of a good operator.

Me, I am waiting for what I call "SCARZilla" - the new FN SCAR 17S. 8)

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
pk3 said:
I've been looking into about buying a .308 rifle. I know that Ullie has recommended the DPMS with a 20 inch barrel as a good buy..
...the DPMS AR in 308 is a good value for your money...top of the line would be a Knight's Armament SR 25...and you pay for it too...and don't really get all that much more gun than a DPMS IMO...but you do get a little...

pk3 said:
Any thoughts about the LMT .308 rifle?
...LMT doesn't make junk...if only they offered one with a 20 barrel...that would probably be a great choice...

pk3 said:
Also, any ideas why so many manufacturers are offering their .308 rifles with shorter 16 inch barrels?
...because they sell...can it be because people want to be "tactical cool"...you know...the chicks dig it factor... :p

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
...if i could only own one "battle rifle" in 762-51...it would be a FAL...nothing else even comes close...nothing... 8)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Ahh, Ullie...Knower of So Many Things Firearms Related. I was hoping you would remain true to the FAL as the Keeper of its Divine Flame!

Your devotion to this rifle is remarkable -- I'm going to have to get me one someday.

A wild bear eating cracked corn at your doorstep...you live in paradise, Wise Old Wolf...!

Clyde :wink:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Its hard to beat a well equipped Springfield M1a.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to everyone for their input.

$2500 is my upper limit on price, so that excludes some suggestions like LWRC, LaRue, the SCAR17 and the SR-25.

The LMT is at the upper limit, and won't be available with a 20 inch barrel at all, but will be available with an 18 inch barrel later in the year.

That leaves the FAL, DPMS, M1A and Armalite AR-10.

Are there advantages to the Armalite over the DPMS?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Can't use P-magLRs in the armalite and the DPMS/Knights Armament is the standardized military magazine design if that little nugget helps.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Cheney. I guess there are advantages to the DPMS over the AR-10.

OK. I've got another question. My casual and incomplete research suggests that the DPMS in 5.56mm is of less than stellar quality. Is the .308 DPMS of higher quality?

·
Registered
273 Posts
pk3 said:
$2500 is my upper limit on price
I'm going to take two unpopular options here. The first being to wait until a Sako TRG comes into your price range, the second being an FN AR. If I had the money, a Sako would be my first choice, the FN being an affordable option (and factory guaranteed 1 MOA) at around $1500.

·
Registered
263 Posts
If $2500 is your upper limit, I know where you can buy a standard M1A with 22" barrel for $1311. That would leave you $1100 for optics (if you want them after seeing the irons -- a lot of guys like it with irons only), scope mount, and accessories (cheekrest is a good idea with a scope). You would have America's battle rifle with a proven reliable gas piston system that would outshoot or match most direct impingement ARs.

If you have to have an AR, I would look at the FN FNAR in .308. Comes with optics rail and tri-rail mounts up front, semi-auto, and these are very accurate for a semi-auto rifle. Around $1800, and you could get a quality scope, a bipod, and some extra mags and come in below your top line....

I'm just not a direct impingement fan -- they're okay if you clean your gun every time out, I suppose...but I can run mine for a month of more before they need cleaning. I rather be shooting than sitting around cleaning....

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
pk3 said:
OK. I've got another question. My casual and incomplete research suggests that the DPMS in 5.56mm is of less than stellar quality. Is the .308 DPMS of higher quality?
...if you want a nice AR in 308...the DPMS is just fine...and a great value for the money...and you can actually order one that suits you...from the ground up...you can actually "build it yourself" so to speak...check out their website to see what i mean...

... http://www.dpmsinc.com/

...i would recomend a standard A3 model with a 20 inch barrel...which would give you the "rifle length" gas system...i would go with a railed gas block so that i could mount a folding front sight...you will not have any optical clutter when mounting a non-magnifying optic or a low power variable scope...and possibly a "standard" two stage trigger...just the basics...with the money you save...you can buy yourself a really good quality optic and a good mount...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks again to everyone for their input. My budget for the rifle excluding optics was $2500. It appears that there are $1K to $2K options and above $3K options. At this time I think I'm going to go with a DPMS, and save my money for a possible second purchase later in the year.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've been following this and other threads for awhile now. I think my next gun will be a DPMS SASS. I will be getting the longest barrel I can find (24" if they make them that big). Thanks to all those who contributed!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a friend who has the DPMS with a 16" barrel and is not happy with it at all. He wishes he had gotten the longer barrel.

·
Registered
46 Posts
rainman74 said:
I have a friend who has the DPMS with a 16" barrel and is not happy with it at all. He wishes he had gotten the longer barrel.
Does he still have the stock trigger? I found the trigger pull to be a pain. Was having a hard time being consistant with it. I installed a Timney drop in trigger (4.5lb). Helped out greatly for me.

·
Registered
139 Posts
bigtobe said:
Does he still have the stock trigger? I found the trigger pull to be a pain. Was having a hard time being consistant with it. I installed a Timney drop in trigger (4.5lb). Helped out greatly for me.
Yes. I have shot it and I did not like it at all. He was going to have the trigger worked on but I think he is going to sell the rifle and get something with a longer barrel.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
What's the big deal about getting a longer barrel and keeping the rifle? He must have other reasons also or he would do that,no?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts