SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw my first production ACR at the store. Mmmm, good...

It is the basic version without the collapsible stock and it did not have the front rails. I have a pic and I will upload when I get home.

Prepare to drool gents!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is the photo. The basic model shown here. The "enhanced" version will have the collapsible, folding stock and the forward rails. As it is the ergonomics on the lower are absolutely outstanding. It is the best I have ever manipulated (I am a lefty).

Here are a few points between the ACR and a SCAR.
I really like the SCAR but here are my thoughts from handling them:

1. The all polymer lower is very, very slick. Everything is controllable from the trigger finger (left or right), mag release, bolt release and safety. The bolt release was particularly nice.

2. It is multi-caliber and supposed to be convertible without tools. (The dealer did not want me to field strip it so I could not see for myself.)

3. PMags work in the ACR.

4. The bolt is slicker feeling than the SCAR. I looked at this back to back with one in either hand so the comparison was direct. This may change with firing but I like the feel of the bolt group of the ACR slightly better than the SCAR.

That is about it. The difference between the 2 are very few. The ergonomics are very, very close overall and both should be excellent rifles.

I do not have the spare dollars to buy either one at this point so I can't vote with my pocketbook yet. If I had to buy today, I would stick with the SCAR for the folder and extending stock.

·
Registered
472 Posts
:shock: :shock: :p

What about the price???? Between the ACR and SCAR

Geardo wants one... But he wants a SCAR first! :lol:

Thanks for the review and pic

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Price is way above what I would pay. They had the SCAR priced at $2749 and the ACR (basic as shown) for $2649. They had the black SCAR priced about $300 or so above the FDE SCAR.

Both are price much higher than what one should spend but, as the man says, we got 'em and somebody will pay for 'em.

·
Registered
365 Posts
The ACR is a nice looking weapon ... and if it didn't cost an arm and a leg I might buy one.
Maybe as they sell the price will come down ....
until then, sorry. :(

·
Registered
188 Posts
I also had the opportunity to fondle one of these fine weapons on thursday while picking up some primers. $2300 for the basic black fixed stock. $2600 for the SCAR. Overall I think I liked the feel of the ACR better and the polymer is heavy duty. A very well made rifle, but I'm too poor to own one. Maybe one day when I get out of school.

·
Registered
174 Posts
SGT_geardo said:
:shock: :shock: :p

What about the price???? Between the ACR and SCAR

Geardo wants one... But he wants a SCAR first! :lol:

Thanks for the review and pic
Had a brief from MARSOC on Friday. Of interest, they said they were not inclined to adopt the SCAR just yet, and had issues with breakage and folders doing their own thing. CQB/MOUT use was brought up in that regard.

Not to say that they won't adopt it, and this of course was just one person's take on it, but it sounded like there are still some growing pains.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh my....

Here is Bushmaster's ACR webpage. They show the basic at a MSRP of $2685 and the enhanced is $3061.

Gold plated for sure!! :shock: :roll: :lol: :x

http://www.bushmaster.com/acr/#/intro

So to amend my earlier comments:

The only major functional improvement for the money is the caliber conversion and improved fire control ergonomics. Considering you could buy a SCAR and a smaller ACOG for the same price as the ACR, I don't see many reasons to select the ACR. (comparison is a discounted SCAR price to a MSRP ACR)

·
Registered
472 Posts
I just checked out that link ftboomer1...

WOW!

That's all I have to say about that.

Does the SCAR have a star chamber? I noticed the ACR has a has one.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I haven't had a sighting around here yet, but I'm not a big fan of "Shrubmaster" after the BS they pulled with the ACR. I will wait about a year and see how it holds up and if the price falls. If it comes down to near SIG prices I may be tempted but I'm still super pissed :x

·
Registered
169 Posts
I won't purchase one until the price drops and they do a light barrel or govt profile barrel, not a leftover M4 barrel....that's a cut corner.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Sportsmans Warehouse here in Loveland, Co. has one of the basics for $2399 and they are traditionally high priced. I bet you give it a year and these will drop in price due to the lack of sales.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SGT_geardo said:
Does the SCAR have a star chamber? I noticed the ACR has a has one.
By star chamber do you mean the 8 -1 locking lugs? If so, yes. They use the same M16 bolt as each other and, well, the M16. If you mean something else please clarify as I do not understand another context for "star chamber".

* 8 minus 1 locking lugs refers to the 8 lug design with 1 missing and used for the extractor.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Looks like the bastard child of my Sig556 and my S&W MP15 MOE. :p

$2125 for the "basic configuration" here at Bud's in central KY.

·
Registered
85 Posts
ACR on the cover of American Rifleman

Article says the anti-corrosive coating is what ADDS to the price. Believe it or not!!!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: ACR on the cover of American Rifleman

lance said:
Article says the anti-corrosive coating is what ADDS to the price. Believe it or not!!!
but it IS corrosive to my wallet! I would expect a eurogun to have the anti-Benjamin coating, not Bushmaster.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Just read a review on ARCOM and it looks like the accuracy is around 1.5MOA @ 100m and the quick detach barrel system needs to be wrenched on pretty hard to get it to lock down correctly. Trigger is great, but it weighs about the same as our sigs. Looks like a novel concept, but the sig does the same job for about a grand less. Plus I can beat someone to death with it and it will still have a nice aluminum stock on it :lol:
For those of you with the cash, seems like a solid rifle. Now if they only had the 18" medium heavy barrel option. Hell where is the sig 18" medium heavy barrel? :roll:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
cheney said:
Just read a review on ARCOM and it looks like the accuracy is around 1.5MOA @ 100m and the quick detach barrel system needs to be wrenched on pretty hard to get it to lock down correctly. Trigger is great, but it weighs about the same as our sigs. Looks like a novel concept, but the sig does the same job for about a grand less. Plus I can beat someone to death with it and it will still have a nice aluminum stock on it :lol:
For those of you with the cash, seems like a solid rifle. Now if they only had the 18" medium heavy barrel option. Hell where is the sig 18" medium heavy barrel? :roll:
Thank you for reminding me how great we have it. The SIG 556 is a very good rifle at a great price.
You want pistons? Check.
How about a very rugged bolt group? Check.
<2 moa? Check.
Reliable and proven design? Check.

I sometimes get caught up in finding the BBD (Bigger, Better Deal) and I look at the sporty new things in the gun/computer/car/etc store and look past the goodness that I have already brought into my realm.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Still has an AR barrel and crappy multi lug bolt that's a PITA to clean. Some cool looking plastic on an otherwise 50 yr old design. The ergonomics will be familiar but that's about it. I will buy two more 556's for that price and lose nothing other than an ambi mag release.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Norgon built a prototype ambi-mag release For the SIG556 so it could be done. They needed SIG to sell them the base parts to modify and SIG elected not to. That is about the only missing thing for me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts