SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a heads up to handloaders.

I started reloading some Priv 75 gr HP BT Match bullets. In trying to set the bullet seating die I ran into some problems. The OAL was very inconstant. The OAL varred from 2.249 to 2.274 inches. I was trying to get an OAL of 2.260.

I measured the bullets and the length varred from .957 to .972 inches. The ogive of these bullets was very inconstant. I did not measure every bullet but took a random sample.

The shank measured .224 inches and all the bullets weights were 75 gr.

After loading all ot the rounds, 1000, I had to measure and sort them by length into 4 containers. Then I had to resize them all, progressively screwing in the bullet seater to get the correct OAL so the rounds would fit in the magazines.

Having to pull the handle twice for almost every round when you are loading 1000 is a PITA.

Even though they cost more I will be using the Hornady bullets in the future. I have never run into this problem with Hornady products.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Second the bullet length consistency of Hornady products. Their A-max line is top notch. I loaded some Nosler Custom Competition 2nds and the OAL was pretty variable but the ogive length was dead on. OAL was mostly affected by the irregular meplat on the 2nds. Haven't shot them yet but we'll see if they make a difference. Seems there are two camps on whether OAL or length to ogive consistency is better but having neither is certainly suboptimal.

I haven't hand loaded for the 556 yet but I never had great accuracy from Prvi match factory loads like others on this board have experienced.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
The Prvi 69 and 75 grain are second quality compared to Nosler, Sierra, Swift, and Hornady, but they still are adequate for blasting hogs with.

I just got 500 rounds of Sierra MatchKing 77 grain BTHP and 500 of Nosler 77 grain Competition bullets so will be working on them soon.

I have to admit though, the heavy Prvi OTMs shoot on paper as well as my Hornady's.....?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have been shooting at the 100 yard range we have and getting very nice accuracy out of these bullets. I am using a DPMS "mark 12" 18 inch heavy barrel rifle and a 3X9 leupold scope. didn't even think to check the length of the slug before now.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I loaded some Nosler Custom Competition 2nds and the OAL was pretty variable but the ogive length was dead on.
I had the same issue with Noslers. Good info on the Prvi's; Thanks!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I also noticed a variation of seating depth with these bullets. For the price, I am not going to complain.
I loaded 300 tonight for some testing with the Sig556. My load is 24gr of N140 over a Fed205M primer.

I should be able to fire off a few rounds next week to see how well they shoot. The only other time I had on the range with the rifle I shot the Privi 69gr HPBT bullets and the Sig556 did not group them well at all.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Good news, I shot the new load of 24gr N140 with a 75gr Privi match bullet. The load worked very well and shot a few decent groups.

·
Registered
363 Posts
nycstripes said:
Good news, I shot the new load of 24gr N140 with a 75gr Privi match bullet. The load worked very well and shot a few decent groups.
A few questions:

What were the group sizes? And what were your COL, OAL, and seating depth? Did you chrony your results? If not, what is your estimate of FPS on the load? How reliable was the load, ie - any FTF, FTFeed, or FTE? Did you use the load in anything else other than a 556 and what were the results?

Thanx,

Leb

·
Registered
216 Posts
I haven't bench shot the load. I just used it to zero my red dot scope. I shoot a similar load in my Armalite AR15 DCM Service rifle.

The load is very accurate from that rifle, sub MOA. I recently purchased a chronograph and plan to shoot the load over the screens soon.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
You can get both the Prvi 75 and 69 grain BTHPs at Winders, they are listed under the "Mil-Spec" reloading components...

·
Registered
43 Posts
SkyPup said:
You can get both the Prvi 75 and 69 grain BTHPs at Winders, they are listed under the "Mil-Spec" reloading components...
Ur AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts