SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not too long ago I upgraded my 556 with a 2.5-10X IOR with the mildot based mp-8 reticle, and have recently been stretching the rifle's legs a bit since then. Someone mentioned a while ago that the "good" 556's get overshadowed by all the threads of people mentioning problems, which ends up giving a rather less than average perception of the rifle, so I'm posting to let people know that these things can in fact shoot and run reliably.

Heres a pic, the rifles a bit blurry, but you can see how its setup. A target at about 225 yards is visible, as well as a couple at about 300 or a bit further, in the snow in front of some bushes up and to the right of the first target.

The last two evenings I've gone out to the desert and tried plinking at clay pigeons. No pictures, since I didn't have much daylight left, but I could reliably hit clays at what I ranged was around 300-350 yards.

I won't claim there weren't any misses, it took me about 40 rounds to destroy 25 clays, but that isn't horrible because about a third of them take two hits before they disappear.

I am inclined to think most of the error was still mine and not the rifle's, due to the fact that I haven't been shooting rifles all that long and also because I almost always get a couple wild fliers when shooting at actual paper targets, regardless of ammo, or which rifle I'm shooting. I also had a couple ten round strings where I felt really focused and knew I was doing my part, and the rounds hit exactly where I thought they would each time.

I then tried shooting a bit further, I ranged it by popping a couple rounds into the dirt, and seeing how far they fell, then calculating how far it would take the bullet to drop that much. By this method, I ranged it at an even 500 yards. However, I was shooting uphill, which can effect bullet drop, so I'm guessing the true range was closer to 450.

At this range, it took a few tries to hit a single clay, when grouped together into threes I was pretty consistently able to hit the group with one shot.

Ammunition was Fiocchi 55gr FMJ and SP. I also have some Fiocchi 62gr stuff. I need to compare them on actual paper out at 300+ yards to see if the 62gr is maybe even more accurate.

Needless to say, I'm pretty happy with these results, both with the rifle and personally. This is the best and farthest I've ever shot.

I'll have some better pics of the rifle up later, as well as some pics of a target from 250 yards.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
That is awesome, I think you need to spend more time in the desert with that 556! 8)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have found alot of times that bullets will go right through clays and not break them. I can see the holes but no breakie. So maybe you were hitting them more often than you thought.

Nice area to go shooting. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Photobucket doesn't seem to want to let me upload any pics currently, so I guess that's it for now...

I've shot over $100 worth of ammo in the past three days, but it has been worth it. Many clay pigeons dead at 300+ yards, and I got five hits (out of five tries) on a 18X24" steel plate at 700 yards this evening,

I had some cool pictures to share, but I guess you guys will just have to take my word for it that this thing can shoot.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been having computer issues, so I haven't been able to upload pics.

Sorry for the delay, and here goes

This puts the above pic into perspective a bit more, same spot, but not zoomed in at all.

A shot of the general area, there are a few good spots to shoot well over 1000 yards here.

Here is the rifle, modified with

Magpul PRS stock
551 hand guards
Griffon handle,
KNS front pin
Sampson front sight,
ARMS 40L rear sight that isn't pictured
2.5-10X IOR Valdada with MP-8 Reticule, mounted in medium Warne QD rings.
Cheapo blackhawk 3 point sling

It is an early version with swiss bolt, bolt carrier, firing pin, and gas block. It is also boringly reliable, but thats nothing special with these.

Here is a typical target from 250 yards. Note there is one hole right in the middle of the X it is hard to see. Pretty much all my targets look like this, real nice tight group thats right on target, with a couple fliers that really widen it up. I am not positive, but I think the fliers are my fault, which would mean this rifle is capable of holding sub MOA out to 250. Thats hard to beleive, but I think its harder for me to believe that I have learned to shoot sub MOA that far after really only one summer's worth of fairly regular practice at 50 and 100 yards with a 22.

Note that the paper is the standard 8 1/2" wide, and also note that all my groups were a bit high that day since I didn't realize I was off zero till I'd already shot.

Took these in the in the evening a couple days ago. Wind was gusting up to 25mph or so, and changing direction. That meant a lot of time was spent with the cormac mcarthy novel you see there, but I was patient, waited for my shots, and did pretty well.

Here's a closer shot of what I was shooting at. I estimated the range at just a hair over 300 yards.

See the silver sheet of metal directly right of my clays? On my way out I pulled off to the side of the road as darkness was closing in, set up real quick, ranged the metal at about 700 yards, although thats a pretty rough guess, and fired five shots, each of them making a distinctive ping as they hit the metal. I had a bit ol grin on my face all night.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts