SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

which pocket pistol would you carry? ( micro size )

  • kel tec,

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • sig

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • kahr

    Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the question has been asked before, howerever, has anyone spent time with the p 238. i'm looking for a comfortable carry and this pistol seems to fit better than the kel-tec and ruger lcp 380. i looked at the kahr 9mm, just a hair bulky compared with the p 238 but also would not have to have another caliber to searh for. But the p-238 JUST feels right to my short stubby hands. i have read about several feed problems and polishing the ramp seem to help. i can't believe that it is not standard proceedure to polish feed ramp on any weapon produced today.

look forwrd to your expierence on this pistol
.f.y.i. .
black on black $ 440.00 11/4/09 in upstate s.c.
black with rosewood $ 625.00
two tone $ 430.00
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
Just my 2 cents, my hands are large so I carry blue P232. It's kinda beaten up for ridding in a cargo pocket, waist band, glove box.....but with a pair of wood grips she still looks good to me. By definition not a micro gun but then I've never seen or been to micro gun fight :lol:

Kinda like the complaint I hear about the Glock 27 " it doesn't fit my hand" . So if you're carrying the gun for your protection it's gotta fit or the shot is not going to make it on target.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
smithlac, where in upstate, SC are you? I'm in Simpsonville. I went by Allen Arms and they had the P238. I loved the feel of it. However, the one thing that really turned me off to that gun for pocket carry was the lack of a grip safety. I don't think I would feel very comfortable carryin' cocked and locked with only a thumb safety on a single action. I carry either a Kimber TLE II (fullsize) or a Kimber Ultra CDP II on my hip cocked and locked (the only way to carry that type of gun, in my opinion). So naturally, I would want to carry the P238 the same way. I just don't know how safe that would be.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,251 Posts
...smithlac

...i recomend an "Interarms" Walther PPK in stainless or Sig 232...i carry a PPK...they are reliable and virtually indestructable...and very slim...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
All decent choices.

If price and reliability are important (and when aren't they?), you might take a look at a Makarov. I've carried one for years and while it isn't a .45, it's darn comfortable, concealable and the 9x18 in a HP configuration is a decent self-defense round without the overpenetration issues of the 9mm.
I've shot thousands of rounds through Bulgarian and East German versions and have yet to have a misfire, FTF, FTE, etc.

My .02.

v/r,
Bear
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
453 Posts
ullie said:
...smithlac

...i recomend an "Interarms" Walther PPK in stainless or Sig 232...i carry a PPK...they are reliable and virtually indestructable...and very slim...
I also carry a Walther PPK
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
Nittany Lion said:
Bersa Thunder 380. People scoff their noses at it, but it's extremely reliable and the finish is perfect after 10 years!
Those are one of the best "bang for the buck" guns on the market. My wife has one and switches between carryin' that and a Kimber Ultra Carry. I've never carried her Besa, but I think I might give it a try sometime. I did wear it in a IWB holster around the house for a little while, and I completely forgot I had the gun on me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
flea,

i'm in easley just down the road. the prices i listed were from allen arms and traders gun shop in taylors. i'm taking the ccp class at allen arms next week. they are friendly, run a good clean operation, knowledgeable staff, good inventory and conduct themselves like they want you as a customer.

thanks everyone for the ideas for carry pistols, i have alot more research to do!!!

please keep the folks at Ft. Hood in your thoughts and prayers

smithlac

_______________________________


sig 556/ eotech 512
walther p-22
xdm 9 mm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
smithlac said:
flea,

i'm in easley just down the road. the prices i listed were from allen arms and traders gun shop in taylors. i'm taking the ccp class at allen arms next week. they are friendly, run a good clean operation, knowledgeable staff, good inventory and conduct themselves like they want you as a customer.

thanks everyone for the ideas for carry pistols, i have alot more research to do!!!

please keep the folks at Ft. Hood in your thoughts and prayers

smithlac

_______________________________


sig 556/ eotech 512
walther p-22
xdm 9 mm
I was just up at Allen Arms today. Put some rounds through the 556 up there. First time I've used their rifle range. Normally I use their pistol range. Nice people and good selection. I think their pricing is on the high side, though. I talked to one of the guys at Blue Ridge Shooting Sports who knows the owner of Allen Arms, and he said they have to keep their prices high to compensate for their other costs (such as the range). I've gotten the best deals at Traders. That's where I got my 556. I traded a Colt AR-15 for it. I went by Allen Arms to see what they would give me first, and they offered me $600. Went to Traders right after and they gave me $1,000 for it. My wife and a buddy took their cwp class at Allen Arms, and they enjoyed it. Good luck on your test! After you get your permit, get the form online for the New Hampshire non-resident permit. That will allow you to carry in GA as well, which the SC permit won't.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Flea said:
I don't think I would feel very comfortable carryin' cocked and locked with only a thumb safety on a single action.
I don't see how a grip safety is any more reliable than a thumb safety. Anyone willing to wear their gun with the hammer back may as well disregard the safety completely.

One of the many reasons I love Sig handguns is because they still offer single-double action. The internal trigger safety (hammer is stopped short unless the trigger is pulled back) makes carrying them much safer than carrying a cocked 1911, in my opinion. I'm not worried about an accidental discharge out-of-hand so much as in-hand. I want complete control.

The reason for carrying a Sig P238 is not to shave seconds off of the draw time (which by carrying an 8.7-inch-long Kimber, I see you're not too concerned about that :wink: ), but rather to conceal something in places that wouldn't normally allow a larger frame.

Myself, I'm interested in a P238 for the style foremost, and for the pocket size second. And if I have to use it to save my life, a quick safety release and hammer cock will be the least of my worries. I can have the gun out, the safety off, the hammer back...and fire seven rounds at an attacker before they knew I was drawing. Whereas with a 1911, they see where your hand is going and act accordingly.

"Cocked and locked" doesn't always mean "with the advantage".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
txshurricane said:
Flea said:
I don't think I would feel very comfortable carryin' cocked and locked with only a thumb safety on a single action.
I don't see how a grip safety is any more reliable than a thumb safety. Anyone willing to wear their gun with the hammer back may as well disregard the safety completely.

One of the many reasons I love Sig handguns is because they still offer single-double action. The internal trigger safety (hammer is stopped short unless the trigger is pulled back) makes carrying them much safer than carrying a cocked 1911, in my opinion. I'm not worried about an accidental discharge out-of-hand so much as in-hand. I want complete control.

The reason for carrying a Sig P238 is not to shave seconds off of the draw time (which by carrying an 8.7-inch-long Kimber, I see you're not too concerned about that :wink: ), but rather to conceal something in places that wouldn't normally allow a larger frame.

Myself, I'm interested in a P238 for the style foremost, and for the pocket size second. And if I have to use it to save my life, a quick safety release and hammer cock will be the least of my worries. I can have the gun out, the safety off, the hammer back...and fire seven rounds at an attacker before they knew I was drawing. Whereas with a 1911, they see where your hand is going and act accordingly.

"Cocked and locked" doesn't always mean "with the advantage".
I have to disagree. It is a VERY safe and extremely fast-to-discharge design. Three distinct events must occur in unison for weapon to fire, Grip safety pressed, safety lever flipped, and trigger pulled. I feel very comfortable carrying in this manner and out of the holster I know of no other handgun (except maybe a P7) that can be brought to the ready-to-fire state quicker than a 1911. O.k., some may argue for the Glock and it's trigger "safety" but there is a reason why the 1911's 100 century old design is still a player in the competitive handgun world today...

I won't open the caliber debate back up by waxing on the attributes of the .45 ACP cartridge...or did I just do that?! :eek:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
txshurricane said:
Flea said:
I don't think I would feel very comfortable carryin' cocked and locked with only a thumb safety on a single action.
I don't see how a grip safety is any more reliable than a thumb safety. Anyone willing to wear their gun with the hammer back may as well disregard the safety completely.

One of the many reasons I love Sig handguns is because they still offer single-double action. The internal trigger safety (hammer is stopped short unless the trigger is pulled back) makes carrying them much safer than carrying a cocked 1911, in my opinion. I'm not worried about an accidental discharge out-of-hand so much as in-hand. I want complete control.

The reason for carrying a Sig P238 is not to shave seconds off of the draw time (which by carrying an 8.7-inch-long Kimber, I see you're not too concerned about that :wink: ), but rather to conceal something in places that wouldn't normally allow a larger frame.

Myself, I'm interested in a P238 for the style foremost, and for the pocket size second. And if I have to use it to save my life, a quick safety release and hammer cock will be the least of my worries. I can have the gun out, the safety off, the hammer back...and fire seven rounds at an attacker before they knew I was drawing. Whereas with a 1911, they see where your hand is going and act accordingly.

"Cocked and locked" doesn't always mean "with the advantage".
Simply put, having the grip safety is an ADDED safety for carryin' cocked and locked. 1911's still have a thumb safety. So if the thumb safety accidently gets bumped off, you still have the grip safety that needs to be compressed and the trigger still has to be pulled. It doesn't take any time or thought at all to disengage the grip safety. So it's a nice feature to have, ESPECIALLY when the gun is single action and cocked.

Argue it all you want, but the 1911 is a very safe weapon to carry, and quick to put into action. Everyone will carry what they're comfortable with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
I've shot the Sig P238 and had more than one failure.
I carry the Colt Defender (45acp),
IMO when the SHTF you can't beat a 1911.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Pocket Carry?

S&W lightweight J frame in my opinion.

Rides just fine even in lightweight shorts in a Nemesis holster.

At 12-15 ounces you forget it's there, and in theory is more resistant to lint, etc, than an auto.

A Crimson Trace lasergrip adds versatility.

The shape of the hammerless revolver makes for a much smoother pocket draw than my Khar MK9.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
438 Posts
micro size pocket pistol?

I use a Seecamp 32 in an Aker back pocket holster. The holster is so well designed, you can actually leave it in your back pocket and drive without it causing any discomfort.

I am not a big fan of mouse guns, but this set up can be concealed in circumstances when any other hand gun/holster setup doesn't cut it, including my J frames
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
I really like the Kel-Tec PF-9 and P3AT models, but every time I hold one, I keep looking for just a little more handle to grab. I love their weight and reputation and price.

I also started looking at the Ruger LCP, which looks nearly identical to the P3AT. The price is nearly identical as well.

However the other day I found a Sig P238 to pick up and man did that feel sweet! Just enough handle and a little bit more heft. It reminds me of a 1911 somehow, just a baby.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
I carry the Ruger LCP with the Crimson Trace laser grip in the Nemesis holster and love it. There is an extended floor plate that can be added to the magazine for your pinky to rest on. It helps alot with the short grip.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top