SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Biggest concern of LEO's who pulled the trigger is some lefty attorneys charging them with First Degree Murder......

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_15279853

Good riddance to this freak of nature. :twisted:

·
Vendor
825 Posts
They said on CNN that one got an 'ineffective' bullet that would deliver the same recoil, so none of the shooters would know for sure if they shot the fatal round. In this article, they said wax bullet.

You gotta believe they could still tell. THe recoil from a wax plug can't be anything near the recoil from a lead bullet.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Re: Pedophile Rapist KilGets Firing Squad with Winchest 94 3

SkyPup said:
Biggest concern of LEO's who pulled the trigger is some lefty attorneys charging them with First Degree Murder......

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_15279853

Good riddance to this freak of nature. :twisted:
Attorneys can't charge someone with a crime.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Isn't the District Attorney the one who decides whether or not to charge someone with a crime when a homicide is committed as in this case?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Well, how is executing someone in a firing squad a murder ... or any kind of crime?
Even if you disagree with the death penalty, that doesn't mean it should be considered murder. If you disagree with capital punishment, there is recourse through your vote and letters to your reps.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TommyGunn said:
Well, how is executing someone in a firing squad a murder ... or any kind of crime?
Even if you disagree with the death penalty, that doesn't mean it should be considered murder. If you disagree with capital punishment, there is recourse through your vote and letters to your reps.
I don't disagree with the death penalty or capital punishment.

Definition of Homicide:

Although the term homicide is sometimes used synonymously with murder, homicide is broader in scope than murder. Murder is a form of criminal homicide; other forms of homicide might not constitute criminal acts. These homicides are regarded as justified or excusable. For example, individuals may be commanded or authorized by law to kill a person who is a member of an enemy force or who has committed a serious crime. Typically, the circumstances surrounding a killing determine whether it is criminal.

From the article:

" The third officer felt much the same. Proficient with firearms, he was more concerned the legal process may break down.I was worried about some lawyer working the courts to have us all charged with homicide," he said. "That still worries me."

·
Registered
365 Posts
Perhaps I should have been more specific.
Technically it is a homicide. A homicide merely means it is the killing of someone. But that can be justified. If you're attacked by someone and you fear for your life because you know he's going to kill you -- or have strong reason to believe it -- and obtain a firearm and shoot the BG, and he dies, that is a homicide. It is not murder, it's called justifiable homicide.
And a member of a firing squad is not commiting muder. It is also a "justifiable homicide."

BTW, Skypup, I was not intending to argue with you or debate you ... I was simply trying to say I don't believe it is right to make anyone involved in the firing squad responsible for this in a criminal or civil way.
Maybe I worded the post poorly .... but that's what I was trying to say. :)

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No problem, I understand.

The sad part of this published story in my mind was that one of the actual LEO firing squad members entertained the thought that some left wing District Attorney would pervert the law enough to charge him with murder somehow...... :evil:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Not in Utah. The Attorney General would never do that, he's really conservative and I don't think that would ever be seriously considered here. You would have to go back and charge all executioners with murder, I believe.

I think a murder case against the officers would be too unpopular and would be thrown out quickly. Even if they were somehow convicted on a federal crime, the President would pardon the officers or face a sticking point in his re-election.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Is it wrong to wanna watch a video of this?? :?:

·
Registered
29 Posts
After reading the artical I noted a couple of discrepancies. I recently wrote a term paper on capital punishment and did a lot of research an the firing squad, and on that specific execution for the paper. In my research it stated that one of the shooters was to fire a dummy round, but during the medical examination after the shooting 5 entry holes were noted. I think they want to make sure the execution was effective.
I also find it hard to believe that they would chose rifles at random. Everyone is built differently and shoots differently, if they were concerned with accuracy (even at 17 yards) each shooter would have his/her own weapon sighted in for that user.
Pat

·
Registered
365 Posts
At 51 feet, I don't think there would be much "sighting in" for a Winchester .30-30.

·
Registered
306 Posts
good riddance. I have no pitty or remorse for anyone who abuses children. may that fucker rot in hell.

·
Registered
56 Posts
That pedophile was executed back in 1996. The guy they killed last week, Ronnie Lee Gardner, killed an attorney during an escape attempt while on trial for another murder. He also injured a bailiff who never fully recovered. Utah has four other death row inmates who are eligible for the firing squad and have chosen it as their method of execution. The firing squad is no longer an option for execution for people sentenced to death after 2004.

The distance from the shooters to the shootee for this last execution was 25 feet. No missing there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts