SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
New to this forum but own several Sig's- both rifles and pistols. I have found out that parts for my Classic are now unobtainable. I spoke with the customer service reps at the Sig booth at both the NRA national Convention in Indianapolis and at the Sportsman's Show in Harrisburg Pa and was told both times that Sig itself is running out of parts and will not guarantee that they will be able to repair any 556 Classic's in the near future. While my weapon works perfectly, I'm now hesitant to shoot it for fear of wear and or breakages. Has anyone ever tried to cross match different springs, pins and crush washers that would work in our sig 556 classic's? Different Sig lines or maybe pistols cross with the rifle. Generic gun parts and or springs? Surely everything can't be proprietary on these guns - firing pins and bolts I understand but everything else?
I am not a gunsmith nor am I flush with anything that can be misconstrued as gun maintenance knowledge. I know enough about what I own to be just shy of useless. But someone else surely has had a curiosity about how we can repair our rifles, right?
Thanks

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Good question. Do we know from some useful source like the Swiss army what parts are the most prone to breakage? Should everyone get a handful of pins, a firing pin, etc?

What IS the recoil spring life anyway?

Some distributor should do this research for us, import the bits (as I bet none are unique to the US guns) and sell as kit.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Googled this for the fun of it. Someone did it once, though naturally out of stock: SIG SAUER 551/556 Spring & Firing Pin Spare Parts Set | Colorado Gun Sales

Note, they claimed that it was indeed a 551/556 kit, so not US-specific. Parts they listed were:
  • Firing pin
  • Firing pin spring
  • Take down pin plunger, machined
  • Take down plunger spring
  • Recoil spring
  • Spring pin
  • Support washer
  • Crush washer
Though, not sure where all these go. Spring pin for... what? Support washer? A little manual explaining each would help also, if anyone puts such a list/kit together.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yes! And part numbers as to cross reference..... maybe

Edit - I've been Googling for the past few days and there isn't anything of substance, that I have found, on the internet. Absolutely no one has any stock of any part that is considered a wear item. Again, if there is anyone out there among us who has experience, is a gunsmith or has had any success in using substitute, replacement or otherwise matching hardware please step foward!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Yes! And part numbers as to cross reference..... maybe

Edit - I've been Googling for the past few days and there isn't anything of substance, that I have found, on the internet. Absolutely no one has any stock of any part that is considered a wear item. Again, if there is anyone out there among us who has experience, is a gunsmith or has had any success in using substitute, replacement or otherwise matching hardware please step foward!

Best place I go is Gunfactory in Switzerland.
Gunfactory.ch
They have all the exploded diagram parts. Also try .....optics planet . They are selling off a bunch of items. They are trying to sell in lots of 10 but if you email them i am sure they will sell individually

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have sent emails to optics planet asking for conformation that these are in fact 556 classic parts without any response on their part. Can't confirm any part numbers and the pictures of the firing pin doesn't look like ours.
I have also sent an email in both English and German to the gunfactory.ch in Germany. Waiting for a response now.

Sorry to keep harping on this but there has to be someone out there who is or works in the gunsmith field that could - or has - cross reference at least the springs that are used in our actions. These are the most commonly replaced due to use, correct?

·
Registered
580 Posts
No problem as I've often thought the same thing.
I figured opticsplanet, unless they say it's in stock, won't have it and like you said, the pix sometimes doesn't match up w/what it should look like.
A spring manufacturer could find out as they could go off of what it looks like and do a spring compression test to get the numbers...but would it be worth their while? or ours to pay $100/spring on a group buy?
if the germans could get you this information, we could take that info and find something comparable from a spring distributor.

As far as what springs, if you look at yours, the only one I'd be concerned about is the piston rod spring as that gets the most, heavy use and some gas tubes can nick it. Wolff should still have some of those available and gatewaysupply too. The next one would be the ejector spring, but when is the last time you heard of one of those going bad in an AK? Even ones that have had their barrels shot out in some third world shithole countries.
I'd have to look at the trigger group to see what's there but IIRC those are pretty big beefy ones and dont think there are any underneath.

·
Read Only
563 Posts
For what it’s worth, the only parts I’ve seen fail are a patrol braided recoil spring and fluted piston rod, and an extractor retainer pin on the same gun. This gun was extremely worn out. It had seen more use than any other 556 series I have handled. I wouldn’t worry too much about parts availability. Because Sig USA doesn’t support the guns anymore, we tend to get paranoid. I think it is largely unfounded paranoia. Most parts are interchangeable with readily available Swiss surplus parts, and I think few of us will ever shoot our guns to failure. Parts are out there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
...The next one would be the ejector spring, but when is the last time you heard...
I did a pretty close to full teardown of my 556/551 recently (I will share why in another thread...sometime) and did some use of the armorers manual. The ejector is a do-not-remove-unless-broken part. So: I didn't.

But: it and the bolt latch are also "replace with new pin" as they are peened in place. So... would be good to have a ready supply of those parts, cheap

...I'd have to look at the trigger group to see what's there but IIRC those are pretty big beefy ones and dont think there are any underneath.
Friends who know engineered stuff like this explained some of the springs and for example the big square-wire mainspring is just SO swiss over-engineering. No one does stuff like this. Should last 10 barrels worth of trigger presses.

So, I am hoping it's all like you posted: well designed and nothing is over-stressed so my gun will be rattly and shot out long before any springs fail.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Yup, that's the way I look at it. I just picked up another 'collector' type gun that I'll take out every once in a while, like the Sigs. But when I want to burn through ammo, doing a lot of shooting/often, I'll take the ARs. Used to be this was the territory of the AK, buy it for a few hundred bucks and ammo cheap, so burn through it. Not no mo.

·
Registered
580 Posts
For what it’s worth, the only parts I’ve seen fail are a patrol braided recoil spring and fluted piston rod, and an extractor retainer pin on the same gun."

What/how was the op rod broken? Literally broken? The only thing I've heard is their US made braided spring breaking due to the fluted piston cutting it, but no rod itself.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Indeed. That sounds like one disgrunteled employee, sabotaging it--or just not giving a fk. There's a saying, "owners can fk over an employee but the employee will always come out ahead". Unless they can him right then and there.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Hi.
The early 556 rifle was called the "ER" for early release. It is also referred to as the "AR" lower because it shared MILSPEC trigger guard plates and a buffer tube receiver. Also, the lines of the magwell were more AR-ish. The ER rifles will have different piston rods and action springs than the latter USA 556 version, in which all parts were made in USA.
This was a weird rifle. Design changes were implemented one at a time over several years.
The braided wire springs of the ERs were replaced with flat coil springs from Wolf on the later USA models.
To get the best knowledge on the correct spring, call Wolf, not SIG.

So, are the uppers and lowers interchangeable between older and newer 556?, generally, yes.
Are the springs and piston rods interchangeable, NO.
Can you have an ER upper on a USA lower? Yes.
Lower swapping happens a lot because they were frequently traded and NOS were bought for a while.
It wasn't unusual to see a complete lower with folding stock go for $400.
This forum should have a wealth of info on this rifle.

I don't hang here much since the owners allow too much advertising in thy threads. The chose to disrespect the users and milk as much revenue as they can from a dying forum.
You can find me more on KTOG.org
Hope this helps.

Reactions: Bosley

·
Registered
580 Posts
Well, I don't hold it against people to make money--or cover their costs if that's the case. Also, it's not their fault sig usa did what sig usa does, market the shit out of something, then 20 minutes later lose interest, ditch it and move in another direction(s).

The buffer tubes of the ER were commercial, IIRC and not milspec.

Do you have any pix of the different sig usa rods? I've only seen the fluted up to now and the 'new' one I've seen has a bulge in the middle. Is this what you're talking about?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi.
The early 556 rifle was called the "ER" for early release. It is also referred to as the "AR" lower because it shared MILSPEC trigger guard plates and a buffer tube receiver. Also, the lines of the magwell were more AR-ish. The ER rifles will have different piston rods and action springs than the latter USA 556 version, in which all parts were made in USA.
This was a weird rifle. Design changes were implemented one at a time over several years.
The braided wire springs of the ERs were replaced with flat coil springs from Wolf on the later USA models.
To get the best knowledge on the correct spring, call Wolf, not SIG.

So, are the uppers and lowers interchangeable between older and newer 556?, generally, yes.
Are the springs and piston rods interchangeable, NO.
Can you have an ER upper on a USA lower? Yes.
Lower swapping happens a lot because they were frequently traded and NOS were bought for a while.
It wasn't unusual to see a complete lower with folding stock go for $400.
This forum should have a wealth of info on this rifle.

I don't hang here much since the owners allow too much advertising in thy threads. The chose to disrespect the users and milk as much revenue as they can from a dying forum.
You can find me more on KTOG.org
Hope this helps.
Keep Checking CDNN Sports that is where I have been getting my Sig P220,226 and 229, 320 parts as well as Sig556R parts!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts