SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. Here's the second topic I am raising continued from this thread- http://sigarms556.com/viewtopic.php?t=8 ... light=part
My second topic is "drivers licenses". The question I pose is do you think it would be a good idea to have different levels of drivers licenses based upon ones driving record, skill and vehicle type or condition? Let me expand on this. I believe getting a drivers license should be more difficult than it is and if that was the case their would be less accidents and less fatalities. I propose having a basic license like now, but having the option to train and obtain an advanced license to legally drive faster than current speed limits in a dedicated lane only for people holding this license and a vehicle equipped to operate safely at higher speeds. No more slow people holding up drivers who can drive faster an still be safe. If you want to drive slower so be it, but you won't be able to use the lane for advanced drivers or you will be fined. It's similar to how we are already supposed to use the highway but as we all know it's not enforced and doesn't work. To get the license you would require the basic license plus take an advanced driving test on a special course and have your vehicle inspected to meet requirements for driving at high speed. I hate to see a guy in a Mustang or Corvette or BMW that is a good driver not be able to take advantage of what his car is actually built for anddrive it that way. What do you guys/gals think? Is this a good idea or is it some Utopian unrealistic idea that only looks good on paper? All opinions welcome :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Just won't work, we're too big, Govt's too big. The cost of maintaining a special lane, the enforcement, who pays for that? I can tell you I won't, I pay enough in taxes already, as I'm sure you do too. We'd have more luck with concealed carry than graduated drivers license', we do have such a thing in IL for those under 18. If I was still 20 years old I'd say yes, because I wouldn't have a clue what is involved except that I can drive in a lane Matt Kenseth drives in when he comes home.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Let me start out with a story...

I was behind a Cadillac CTS headed toward an intersection where the right turn didn't have to stop in my lane. Granted this is a busy intersection with a lot of traffic that moment. The CTS slows and comes to a stop. I honk lightly, you know beep beep, short beeps. The CTS doesn't move at all. I beep beep again. Nothing. So I lay on my 1993 Chevy Silverado 4x4 horn. The driver puts the CTS in park and exits the vehicle... Typical rich older woman with an attitude. She starts yelling at me at the top of here lungs about having to stop because of the traffic coming and the stop sign. (It was a clear turn lane) I leaned out the window and said in a calm voice, but loud enough for her to hear me "What stop sign ma'am?" She then turns to look at where the stop sign would have been, quickly get back into her CTS and spins the tires and almost fishtails into another vehicle. I ended up pulling in next to her in the next intersection with a traffic light. She looked at me then ran the red light, luckly it was clear.

I think you should be evaluated on a simulator before you are able to drive any kind of car! You should have to pay for it as well. Make it more like a pilots license. That will get more cars off the road as well as keep stupid drivers out of legally driving. And if you are caught illegally driving, it should be as bad as getting a DUI. Hire more traffic cops for more jobs.

AND I think higher ranking cops, and trained civilians (like myself) should have and be able to give the authority to SHOOT ON SIGHT!

·
Vendor
825 Posts
I love the idea, but it would never work, for several reasons:
1. Anytime you mix cars travelling at different speeds, you will have problems. If you can get all the sheep to travel at the same speed, the chances of collision are reduced.
2. I don't think it's about driving skill, it's about judgement. In terms of actual driving skills, I would suspect an 18 year old has better driving skills than you do.... he has better vision, faster reactions, however he is also more likely to engage in stupid behavior, because he lacks experience. And its awfully difficult to train or test poeple on judgement and experience.
3. Germany has MUCH tougher driving requirements than we do here. Driving school costs a lot (dunno if it is hundred's or thousands), but you work at it, and many people fail their first time around. Now with all that extra training, you let them out on highways with no speed limits. The results I saw when I lived in Germany: highway mortality is way higher than it is here (2x perhaps - I don't know recent data).

A faster car does not a better driver make. Lots of jerks can buy a Corvette and go racing around. This does not mean they are better drivers.

What we really need is a plan that lets ME drive faster, cause I know I'm a good driver. Screw all those other morons.

I seem to recall a statistic that something like 85% of drivers considered themselves better than average drivers ....

Art

·
Registered
85 Posts
It's a nice idea, but I don't believe it would work as planned either. Right now (in Oregon) you can get cited for driving too slow, as well as too fast. But the issue of why the law didn't fix anything is enforcement.

It does little good to make laws if they aren't being enforced. Also the roads and highways system is huge, the only changes I think are realistic would be ones that don't require any changes to that infrastructure.

Although I don't think this idea would fly, I have often wondered if a similar idea would work. I have been wondering about an advanced endorsement for talking on the phone would work. Some people are rather good at multi-tasking, and others are simply not.

Similar to obtaining a CDL, truck drivers have to exhibit an advanced set of skills to operate trucks. I think the same should be required of talking while driving. Maybe a sobriety type of test of answering questions of the tester, via cell phone, while doing a low and/or high speed manuever test.

That probably would not work either, but many people, probably most, cannot give driving the attention it deservers while yacking on the phone.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Leave it like it is now. The better drivers buy the better performance cars and can move like a shark amongst the fishes.... :wink:

Or they can buy a sportbike and leave them all for dead anytime, with a flick of the wrist! 8)

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
When I first got my license, one of the old war vets on our shooting team looked at me and said...

"Remember - everyone who drives faster than you is a dumbass, everyone driving slower that you is a moron."

;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts