SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to purchase a West German Sig but I'm struggling with the decision. I'm stuck between a p226 and p220. I'm not crazy about the 9mm cartridge, but if its good enough for the military its good enough for me. Either way, it will be a stamped slide model. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a P220 1990 Model fixed Front sight and I love It. I say buy a 220 and dont think twice about it!!!!
& For what its worth of my 5 Sig Pistols my 220 is still my favorite.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Buy at least one of each. That's what I did. :lol:

People saying 9mm is not enough gun is not backed up by data -- a 9mm with 124 grain hollowpoints actually has more knockdown power than a 230 grain .45 FMJ round. It has a lot to do with bullet chosen, in actuality.

P226 and P220 are both legendary for a reason. 8)

If you want magazine capacity, you can get 20 rounds of 9mm in a P226. :wink:

P220 holds only eight rounds, but that is why they sell spare mags....

One factor to consider - 9mm much less expensive to shoot with....

·
Registered
363 Posts
People saying 9mm is not enough gun is not backed up by data -- a 9mm with 124 grain hollowpoints actually has more knockdown power than a 230 grain .45 FMJ round. It has a lot to do with bullet chosen, in actuality.
I'm not going to re-start the age-old 9mm v .45 debate. There's a gig's worth of posts in various gun forums debating that topic. The term "knock down power" is somewhat misleading, because it calls to mind bad guys dropping in their tracks with a single shot. A better term is "stopping potential". Also, you're comparing JHP to FMJ, which isn't an apples to apples comparison. Both 9mm and .45 are viable personal defense rounds but as you yourself point out, the terminal effectiveness of 9mm is much more load dependent than the .45.

To stay on topic - Both the 226 and 220 are fine guns that'll give years of enjoyment to the owner. You can't go wrong with either.

Leb

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank's for the input guys. Is one round inherently more accrate than another? My dad's 1911 officer's model is incredibly accurate for its size and I always attributed that to the .45. Am I out of line?

Eventually I'll probably own both, but for now it's a tough decision.

I do like the lower cost of 9mm. :D

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Both are excellent. 9MM is cheaper to shoot which means more practice which means better shot placement which means 226 would be my choice...then the 220 later on just because :lol: Oh, and the 226 can hold 20 in the mag which gives me a warm fuzzy against bad guys, they never travel alone you know :)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Here's a pretty interesting read on an analysis of center mass hits, with a comparison of various calibers:
http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin ... fight.html

The short answer is there is no formula for choosing one weapon over another. Consider the differences, and then decide which one you think is more practical for you, and/or which you think is sexier.

You really can't go wrong with either the P220 or P226.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Clyde said:
Buy at least one of each. That's what I did. :lol:
This is your best advice, and what I did as well. :p

·
Registered
363 Posts
silvertdi said:
Thank's for the input guys. Is one round inherently more accrate than another? My dad's 1911 officer's model is incredibly accurate for its size and I always attributed that to the .45. Am I out of line?

Eventually I'll probably own both, but for now it's a tough decision.

I do like the lower cost of 9mm. :D
As always when discussing accuracy, the answer is, "It depends." By that I mean that there are a lot of variables that go into saying one round or platform is more accurate than another. For ammo, the variables include type of bullet (ie, FMJ, JHP, SWC, or "Match"), bullet weight, concentricity (a measure of how truly round the bullet is), powder charge, bullet seating depth and uniformity of the cases. Those are just the major variables; there are a host of minor ones.

As to platforms, the ultimate variable is operator headspace and timing. I've seen shooters say that they have a bad gun or lemon and someone else pick up that self-same lemon and shoot the lights out.

Just to muddy the waters a bit, since you can't make up your mind to go with a 226 or 220, split the difference and get a 229 in .40 SW. :lol:

Leb

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
silvertdi said:
I'm looking to purchase a West German Sig but I'm struggling with the decision. I'm stuck between a p226 and p220. I'm not crazy about the 9mm cartridge, but if its good enough for the military its good enough for me. Either way, it will be a stamped slide model. What are your thoughts?
...my first thought is that you made a good decision choosing a West German / German Sig over one produced by Sig Sauer here in the U.S.

...both are excellent weapons...the 220 in 45 ACP will have more stopping power...it will also have slightly more recoil and muzzle blast and will be slightly more difficult to stay on target with follow up shots for some people...both are accurate with a slight edge to the 220...as far as magazines...stay with the factory "standard" capacity magazines...and don't let magazine capacity be a deciding factor...both are great guns...

...i would probably go with a 226...simply because it's cheaper to shoot due to the cost and avaliability of ammunition...or you might consider a 228 if you intend to carry her...either way you can't go wrong IMO...

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you buy CIP instead of SAAMI 9mm there is only about +/-100-150FPS difference between 357 Sig and 9mm. I shoot Fiocchi 9APC 9mm FMJTC - 124 grain bullet - 1250 fps.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
silvertdi said:
Thanks guys. I think I'll go with the 226 first. I appreciate yor input. :D
...IMO you've made a great choice silvertdi...

...although the 226 can safely fire any 9mm ammunition on the market...including +P and +P+ (whatever +P+ means)...since it was designed for NATO pressure levels...i suggest you fire standard pressure SAAMI spec commercial ammunition for training...and if used for defensive purposes...standard (non +P) defensive loads in the 124 grain range...such as 124 grain Hydra-Shoks or 124 grain Speer Gold Dots...you gain very little in terminal ballistics going with +P defensive ammunition...and loose so much in other critical areas...and it's just plain silly to "beat up the gun" shooting hot loads for training or just casual range use...

...just a heads up...never fire any ammunition specifically manufactured for a submachine gun through "any" pistol...regardless of what you hear on the net or otherwise...just saying...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts