SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My plan is to shoot my SIG556 (SIGSCM) at the range. The local range is 100 yards maximum, with plans to eventually extend it out to 200 (maybe more) yards.

If possible, could you recommend an optic to be used now (100 yards), and in the future (200+ yards). My budget for the optic is up to $400.00.

Thanks in advance,
Brian

·
Registered
263 Posts
Here is a great Leupold scope that slots in right at your budget (mine was $399) and is perfect for what you want -- the 1.5x magnification allows you to shoot up close just like a red dot version (such as an Aimpoint or EOTech) - you can even shoot with both eyes open for better situational awareness and fast target acquisition, especially on movers [trust me -- it works better than you think it would, once you get used to it :wink: ], and it is a variable scope that can be set at 2, 3, 4 and 5x, depending on your choice/preference/target size, so when you want to go to the old tried-and-true one eye closed long range shot, it is more than up to the task:

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shoo ... -5-5x20mm/

It is an extremely good scope for the money. I own other scopes that cost a lot more, but for the money, and for your intended use, this Leupold will be very hard to beat. Here's a picture of it on my SIG 556:

You will still need to buy scope rings (the scope in the link and picture has a one inch tube) which will run you anywhere from <$20 (for the scope rings you see on the scope in the picture) to ~$65 (for the new Leupold scope rings I bought for it [today, actually] as replacements for the original Springfield Armory set I had on hand in the right size when I first bought the scope).

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
xpdchief said:
My plan is to shoot my SIG556 (SIGSCM) at the range. The local range is 100 yards maximum, with plans to eventually extend it out to 200 (maybe more) yards.
...xpdchief

...the Leupold 1.5-5x20 VX-3 Clyde recomended is an excellent scope...the entire VX-3 series are great scopes...but i'm thinking that for range use you may be better served with a little more magnification...as you may possibly want to shoot further out someday...i would suggest going with something with a little more magnification...something like a 3.5-10 X 40 or so...the higher magnification will really help at longer ranges...IMO...

... http://swfa.com/Leupold-35-10x40-VX-3-R ... 12649.aspx

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Clyde and ullie, thanks for the suggestions. I've always heard good things about Leupold, it's probably time to find out for myself.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
100 Posts
xpdchief said:

If possible, could you recommend an optic to be used now (100 yards), and in the future (200+ yards). My budget for the optic is up to $400.00.

Thanks in advance,
Brian
Ullie's recommendation is right on, but I had a small budget at the time I was looking and could only shoot 100yds so so I bought the Leupold Mark AR below for $279. I am all over center and it is a great scope for use a that distance. I haven't tried it at 200 but my logic was that if i wanted to start shooting out for longer distance and/or was interested in sniper shooting, I would not only get an appropriate scope but a rifle that shoots 300 or 338 ammo.. but that's just me.. still working towards that...

http://www.opticsplanet.net/leupold-1-4 ... 67170.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts