SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I'm leaning towards the FN SLP Mark I and hope to have one in my 4-gun "arsenal" soon! I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are for optic options for it, if any. Thanks all!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ive got an aimpoint compl ml2 on my sig 556. Before that I had it on two AR-15's and it was on an m-16 in a 10 month deployment in Iraq. I love the aimpoint and would not buy anything else (its just proven itself to me). If it was me I would choose the Aimpoint and If you need magnification they make a preaty cool fold out of the way magnifier.

·
Registered
263 Posts
psuminer:

Glad to see you are considering the FN SLP Mark I -- I think you will be very happy with the choice.

When I first got mine, I mounted an EOTech XPS2 on it, but I ended up taking it back off. The cool thing about the weaver rail and fold down iron sights, coupled with the red fiber optic front sight -- you can sight right down the groove of the weaver rail to the v-notch sight to the front red bead. Once I saw that and shot the gun that way, I took the EOTech off. I have been using irons ever since.

If you go to any of the three gun competitions, all the SLP shooters go this route. That should tell you a lot about the capability of the stock setup.... :wink:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Perfect. That's good to know. I am very interested in getting involved with some three-gun competitions. Just have to find some around here now. Thanks for the input Clyde, Clinton.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I own a FN SLP Mark I and use it in 3-gun matches, it's really a great gun. I shoot with the iron sights but I have purchased a Fastfire to mount sometime in the future. You can also use an Eotech as well.

Best,

Sidearm

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
psuminer said:
Looks like I'm leaning towards the FN SLP Mark I and hope to have one in my 4-gun "arsenal" soon! I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are for optic options for it, if any. Thanks all!
...if you haven't made up your mind yet...i would give the Benelli M4 a very hard look if you want a gas operated gun...that would be my choice...

...i don't particularly care for optics on shotguns...but if you decide to go with an optic...i would recomend an Aimpoint Comp ML3 with a 4 MOA dot ..especially if you are going to do a lot of shooting...

...just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks as always Ullie. I think the deciding factors on the FN SLP are as follows:

1. As is has choke options.
2. Interchangeable gas pistons
3. Interchangeable barrel to better suit bird hunting and sporting clay tourneys
4. 8+1 without getting a magazine extension.
5. Price: $900 vs. $1400

I do really like the Benelli but for the cost difference and the versitility of the SLP, I really think the FN is a better fit for me. Plus, my initials are SLP so people will think I also had it monogrammed!... :D

I'm excited to hear that the SLP works well at 3-gun competitions, Sidearm. I'm looking into getting involved with that sport.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
psuminer said:
1. As is has choke options.
2. Interchangeable gas pistons
3. Interchangeable barrel to better suit bird hunting and sporting clay tourneys
4. 8+1 without getting a magazine extension.
5. Price: $900 vs. $1400
...the M4 does have a full range of choke options...and does not require changing out the gas piston based on light versus heavy loads...i actually perfer having a magazine extension....

...but...

...as far as i know...you are limited to an 18.5 inch barrel...and cost is what it is...

...IMO...the FN SLP is an outstanding shotgun...and will serve you extreamely well...and will probably serve your particular needs better than a M4 in light of your intended sporting use...IMO...you have made a great choice...

...good luck with her !

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Ullie! I'll post some pics as soon as I get her and as soon as I figure out how to post pics to this site... :?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have the 18", its an excellent gun, I haven't done a thing to it other than shoot it.

Longer barrels are pricey to buy on their own, I think around $400 for a 30", although thats pretty long, then there is the mark I model, which you're talking about, which is believe 21".

You dont have to change the gas piston out, the lighter one will work with everything, and not beat you or the gun up more than other guns, I actually have never bothered to use my heavy piston, but I've been told they mellow the recoil on high power stuff a bit. I mostly shirt #7 and #2 shot for clays and plinking, and I have found it to be very mellow recoiling.

They do need a break in period of 30 or so magnum rounds, but after that mine has been completely reliable, and I haven't been anal about cleaning it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts