SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a case of this stuff when I first bought my Sig. That was back in January. I haven't started sighting it in and shooting it much until recently because I was waiting for certain parts to arrive before I finally started shooting it.

Fast forward to last week/this week.

I could not gain a consistent group with this ammo. I kept thinking my sights had come loose, or my barrel was defective. Shots were everywhere even at 50 yards. It looked like someone shot my target with buckshot from far away. Something was wrong until today.

I decided to try some different ammo, Winchester 5.56. And what a hugggge difference. This rifle was a god damn tack driver. Consistent center hits at 50 yards, I was actually drilling out the center of the target. Even at 100 yards the same thing was happening. Very tight groups and im finally a happy Sig owner.

Has anyone else had bad experiences with this ammo? Maybe i just had a bad lot or something. Ive never experienced terrible ammo before.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thank you for the information. I shot some 62-gr reloaded ammo last year and the target looked like it could've been a buckshot pattern -- it was quite worrisome. Hope mine straightens out like yours did when I run some PPU 69 and 75 grain through.

You might try the XM193 in an AR-15 w/ 1 in 9 twist...

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I have used this ammo and never had a problem with FTF but it was somewhat inaccurate I believe due to being loaded so hot. It's a common misconception that the hotter the load the better. There's a balance between velocity and accuracy. When I started handloading I loaded four different powder loads for 75gr BTHP match bullets in groups of five rounds. When I fired these groups you could actually see the groups tighten up and then re open as I moved through the powder ranges. You can feel the recoil difference of the NATO versus a .223 load easily. Find what your rifle shoots best for accuracy, if that's what your shooting for, and stick with that. :wink:

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Belt Fed said:
Has anyone else had bad experiences with this ammo? Maybe i just had a bad lot or something. Ive never experienced terrible ammo before.
...i have no idea what flavor of "so called" XM193 ie (XYZ)...ammunition you are using...since there is so much of it floating around...

...i use Federal XM193 Ball / 5.56 M193 as my personal defense ammunition along with "authentic" Bosian M855...both are NATO STANAG military ammunition...and perform accordingly...the "authentic" Federal XM193...along with Winchester Q3131 and Q3131A ( Israeli manufactured ) are amoung the best ammunition you can buy...i average around 1 1/2 to 2 MOA in both my Sig 556s...scoped and rested...

...the terminal perforamce of the 55 grain XM193 out of a 16 inch barrel is devestating at any engagement range you will likely encounter...

...just because it's labled as such...doesn't necessarily make it so...buyer beware !

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Belt Fed said:
Its this stuff.
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?co ... D=FAXM193C

I also know that its not true mil spec M193 ammo. The X meaning that its rejected military contract ammo sold to the populace.
...i don't believe that that is full blown NATO STANGAG ammunition...i could be wrong though...buzzwords like "tactical" ammunition and such are pretty much meaningless today...

...ammunition is graded by many criteria when inspected...authentic Federal XM193 5.56 Ball is differentiated from M193 5.56 Ball because of blemishes that DO NOT effect it's reliability or performance....XM193 is deemed acceptable for duty use...and is superior to most NATO STANAG 55 grain military ammunition produced by our allies...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Federal XM193 ammo

I went through about 800+ rounds of Federal American Eagle XM-193 55gr in my Sig 556 (16" barrel) at a class I took a couple of months ago at the USSA. The reliability of the Sig 556 was flawless but at the 200 meter line and the 300 meter line, the ammo was terrible. Rounds were hitting so randomly that I was concerned about rounds going over the berm. The instructor tried my rifle and couldn't hit the target either until he borrowed a magazine full of Wolf from another student, at which point he consistently scored hits. His comment was that he thought my rifle did not like the XM193. I have always steered clear of Wolf, but after my experience with Federal AE XM193, I'm not certain that this is a good idea.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I feel the same way about Wolf. I know its decent, and I run it through my mini-14 because its a mini-14. I wouldnt run it through my AR's or Sig though.

Im finding that a lot of others are having the same issues with AE XM193. Apparently the real deal Federal stuff is ok though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts