SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a new Sig 556 (my second Sig 556). It has the dreaded hump and not-quite-so-refined bolt carrier, but I knew this when I got (partially to see if there is any accuracy difference between it and my old 556 which has no issues, and partially because if nothing else was wrong with the rifle, I could fix it myself). However, this rifle has something else wrong with it. The right rail that the bolt carrier runs down is not entirely welded to the stamped steel upper receiver. That means if I pinch my upper receiver right in front of where the bolt catch is, the rail actually moves about 1/16 of an inch.

Since I picked this up Saturday, I can't contact Sig about it yet. I really need to resist the urge to weld it myself.

Ullie, do you have any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
No matter how skilled a welder you are I would send it to SIG so you don't void your warranty. The member who most recently sent their rifle in had very good and fast service so I think that would be best.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Zeus said:
No matter how skilled a welder you are I would send it to SIG so you don't void your warranty. The member who most recently sent their rifle in had very good and fast service so I think that would be best.
I'm not going to do it myself. However, I hope they will still honor the warranty even though I put a pair of Swiss handguards on instead of the quad rail (I no longer own the quad rail).

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Re: New Sig 556 Classic SWAT issues

WayaX said:
It has the dreaded hump and not-quite-so-refined bolt carrier

The right rail that the bolt carrier runs down is not entirely welded to the stamped steel upper receiver.
...this is not something i would do myself...i would send your 556 back to Sig and clearly state "both" issues...

...they should also relieve the ledge on the trunion's tail...my "best guess" is that they will send you a new 556...

...when you call Sig...they should send you a pre-paid shipping lable...they can e-mail or fax it to you...

...before you know it...she'll be back !

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
WayaX said:
I'm not going to do it myself. However, I hope they will still honor the warranty even though I put a pair of Swiss handguards on instead of the quad rail (I no longer own the quad rail).
...i'm sure they will honor the warrenty...the handguards are just snap in furniture...i wouldn't worry about it...let us know how it turns out...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ullie said:
WayaX said:
...i'm sure they will honor the warrenty...the handguards are just snap in furniture...i wouldn't worry about it...let us know how it turns out...
I'll keep updates posted as to what turns out. I do have a feeling I'm going to be getting a new rifle (I hope I get my original handguards back).

For all those who are curious, the serial number is JT 0083XX.

·
Registered
186 Posts
new swat issues

I would not send my hand guards . Sig does not need hand guards to repair or replace your rifle. i would just send a note with the rifle stating that i am not expecting hand guards back.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I told them about the handguards, they said to go ahead and send them and that I'd get them back if I get a new gun.

I waited for 40 minutes to talk to them today. I went to leave a call back number, but got kicked out of the queue because their inbox was full.

Oh well, I got the RMA and shipping label by email today. I'll be shipping it out either tomorrow or wednesday.

Honestly, even if they don't send back my handguards and send me a tactical swat set up like I purchased, I'd just sell the original handguards again and make another profit. So either way, it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, Sig has the rifle now. They quoted two to three weeks on the turn-around. I'll give them a call in two weeks and see what's happening with it.

I'll keep everyone informed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I ordered my 556 Classic SWAT 4 1/2 weeks ago and they (Sig) can't tell me when mine will ship. I was originally told 30 days when I ordered it. I'm praying it won't have any of these problems, but we'll see.

Hopefully, you won't have to wait too long to get yours or a new one. Keep us up to date! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I think SIG556 is running out to be honest. There used to be a few at the gun shows all the time, now with the rebate deal everyone in jumping on them. Now they probably build it as it's ordered or close to it, they need to keep production space open for making the 516.

·
Registered
32 Posts
WayaX said:
I waited for 40 minutes to talk to them today. I went to leave a call back number, but got kicked out of the queue because their inbox was full.
What the hell is wrong with this company? When I had issues with my Sig Classic about four months ago, it was easy as emailing customer service with my concerns and getting a response the next day.

Recently I looked up Sig customer service to return a flawed Diopter (yes Ullie I know it's a total POS and not even good enough for airsoft. The customer service emails don't exist anymore and the encourage you to call in. I was bounced out of the queue too and burned about 20 cell phone minutes.

Every time I see that Scumbag VP of Marketing Bud Fini tell the cameraman at shot show that Sig Sauer is the Mercedes of Firearms, I want to kick him in the balls. They lost that title when they started throwing cheap chinese accessories on their products, and cutting corners at Exeter Manufacturing. Hopefully I can sucker some poor bastard on Ebay to buy my Diopter when a new functional one arrives. At least after two returns my rifle is operating without a problem now.

-Grutch

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My Sig 556 comes back today. This will be exactly 3 weeks since I shipped the rifle.

Since it's coming to my house, I assume that it's the same rifle. I'm curious if they actually fixed it or just fired it and said I have nothing to worry about. If it's the latter, it may get sold for a Noveske N4. After this, I'm done with non-German made Sigs for good. I even learned recently that Sig Sauer is such in name only. They only maintain vague relations to the original German company.

Anyway, stay tuned for updates.

·
Registered
174 Posts
WayaX said:
My Sig 556 comes back today. This will be exactly 3 weeks since I shipped the rifle.

Since it's coming to my house, I assume that it's the same rifle. I'm curious if they actually fixed it or just fired it and said I have nothing to worry about. If it's the latter, it may get sold for a Noveske N4. After this, I'm done with non-German made Sigs for good. I even learned recently that Sig Sauer is such in name only. They only maintain vague relations to the original German company.

Anyway, stay tuned for updates.
Actually, Sauer was German and only used as a partner of convenience. Sig was Swiss all along, IIRC.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
The evidence I have seen lately leeds me to believe SIG is getting it together. Any company can have problems, especially while trying to hire people to ramp up production. If you quit a company based on a problem but not how they handle the problem, you will not be doing business with the same company very often. Look at Toyota. Years of great service, now a problem and everyone is throwing them under the bus because they are too fking stupid to turn off their ignition when the engine surges. Everyone has the right to be a happy customer, I am somewhat on the fence about these "issues" with SIG rifles. I am secretly wishing they get a bad wrap to drive down prices on their guns so I can buy more for very cheap price. There are plenty of AR's out there for unhappy customers. I will take anyones SIG 556 for a nice discounted price if they are unhappy.

·
Registered
285 Posts
If the repairs do not work out, and they want to replace it and Sig tries to make you pay the transfer fee, look at this:

Directly from the ATF site, you will see a brief overview of how the return of a repaired or REPLACED firearm is not subject to the Brady Law: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/brady-l ... r-transfer

Or, if you wish, you can reference the full portion of the Title 27, Chapter II Part 478 here:
http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2003/ ... 78.124.pdf
http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2003/ ... 8.124a.pdf
http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2003/ ... 78.125.pdf

It honestly pisses me off that sig tries to pull this crap on their customers. When it doesn't have to be that way.

Good luck with your 556, hope it works out for ya as they are really fun guns!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here we go:

"The rail and bolt carrier are within factory specifications. The new upper design does not include a weld at the front of the rail."

That's the letter Sig sent back with the rifle. That's right, they did NOTHING. I'm done with Sig now. I'll keep my good 556, but I'm going to sell this one this weekend. It really makes me sad that it had to come to this. I will no longer buy any Sig products.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Can you show some pics comparing the two rifles por favor. I am curious to see, as well as to hear from anyone else who has a newer 556.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts