New MFI products (limited first runs) | SIG Sauer 556 Forum

New MFI products (limited first runs)

Discussion in 'New Products' started by Iamscotticus, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Iamscotticus

Iamscotticus Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  2. lilMAC25

lilMAC25 Member

He has some blems for $170 (both in gray and black). Rail and rear sight only.

From his email
    And these sights look GREAT.
    jump on them now!

3. Waffenmeister

Waffenmeister New Member

I replaced the stock SIG RDSS sight system on a SIG 551A1 with one of the new grey MFI SIG 556 rear diopter sight & rail units.
    [​IMG]
    This is the sight the SIG 556 should have had from day one. It looks authentic, even including an engraved Swiss shield up front, it has a left side sling loop, and is a bolt on installation.
    [​IMG]
    The MFI unit adds 2.2 ounces over the stock sight and aluminum rail. To make room for the rear rail screw, the sight sits about 3/8 of an inch further forward than a welded on SG 550/551 sight, which doesn't seem to create any identifiable issues.
    [​IMG]
    The MFI rear sight sits at the same hight the as the original Swiss 550/551 diopter sights, so I also installed a Swiss 550 front sight.
    [​IMG]
    Why were SIG never able to deliver something like this?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  4. Iamscotticus

"Materials of Construction:
    The Rail, Diopter & Diopter Sled are 4000 series cast aluminum.
    The Windage adjustment wheel and other small parts are steel....The Rear Sight is made from special 4000 series aluminum alloy to allow it to flow more consistently into a mold. Unfortunately the non-aluminum alloys used (in particular copper and silica) make it impossible to anodize, so the rear sight and rail are painted like the originals were."

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  5. CPTKILLER

CPTKILLER Active Member

Hmmmmmmm?

6. Waffenmeister

Waffenmeister New Member

Post fixed!! I could have sworn I checked it with a magnet, but I must have confused it with something else, as magnet check indeed confirms the rail is not steel.

I work regularly with mechanical structures and forces and don't see any major advantage in welding on the rail. High strength epoxy would actually make a stronger connection between rail and receiver. Welding only connects in spots or along the bead, not across the entire contact surface like epoxy.

7. Iamscotticus

Yes, I agree. I'm considering using a black metallic epoxy sold at auto parts stores used for radiator sealing. My rail came canted and I endured a shipment to Sig service to right it. Now I want to stabilize it with a filler. If I could get a steel rail I'd consider some spot welds.

8. uzai

uzai New Member

If I want to use optic and still be able to use the diopter, what option do I have for the mount?

9. Iamscotticus

Not many options for see thru mounts. Not that you can't find one, but the end result is an optic ridiculously high. There are a few optics that would fit over the US 556 diopter without a high rise base, like the Lucid HD and new P model. Perhaps many more will clear this MFI unit. Many red dots will fit in front with a lower third co witness
    [​IMG]
    http://www.rcarms.com/29.html

uzai likes this.
  10. Iamscotticus

uzai likes this.
  11. PGT

PGT Member

My Vortex Sparc cowitnesses on my 553. It likely can be adjusted for this set as well.

12. Ben

Ben Member

MFI diopter and MFI SANS 553 front flip sight on my ER.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  13. sprat

sprat Member

I bought the last grey Blem last week it arrive yesterday, I have been waiting for these to come along for years for my Sig 551-A1,
    the original torex screws came right out, no heat involved,. watch the small spring and disk when removing the sig rail ( save)
    the blem well I cant find the blemished spots, it mounted perfectly came with a tiny alllen wrench,
    I gently tightened the screws down with a drop of blue loctite
    I am going to replace the front sight next

So I ask the question: do you replace the factory 551-A1 sight with a MFI fiber optic or a original 55x series front sight????? I will answer my own question is going to be original swiss 55x series front sights
    replaced to date
    top rail
    added original 55x pistol grip
    added original hand guards
    added swiss bayo lug
    added swiss muzzle brake
    original sling

getting there

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  14. Waffenmeister

Waffenmeister New Member

I tried mounting two commonly used models of ACOG scopes, a TA11 and a TA31 on the MFI sight rail. Both fit perfectly using standard Trijicon TA51 mounts. There is ample clearance over the sight for either ACOG to be mounted far enough back for proper eye relief, and a surprisingly good cheek weld, even without a riser, which still could be used.

TA31 (4 x 32):
    [​IMG]

TA11 (3.5 x 35):
    [​IMG]

To my amazement, the MFI sight still works through the sight hole at the base of the ACOG. So, if the optic ever failed, you could rapidly transition to the MFI for backup without the need for quick disconnect mounts, or anything other than lowering your head a bit.

[​IMG]

I don't have a picture, but micro sized red dots, like the Aimpoint T-1 etc., co-witness with the MIF sights when mounted directly on the rail with no riser.

Iamscotticus likes this.
  15. Iamscotticus

From MFI:
    "The Rear Diopter Sight had to be connected to a rail in order for it to be low enough to line up with the ultra low profile of the Original Swiss SIG SANs Front Sights. Yes you can use the Original PE90 / 550 / 551 / 552 / 553 Swiss SIG Front Hooded or Non-Hooded Sights. You can NOT use the SIG 556 USA Hooded Front Sight or any other sight on the market except our MFI SIG SANs Hooded or Non-Hooded front sights."

MFI does not differentiate between shorter USA early gen sights and later taller USA sights

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  16. sprat

sprat Member

is it me ( college educated) I did not understand the answer, yes or no on the original sights and yes on MFI's front sights

17. Iamscotticus

heh, I really don't know. just trying to be helpful.

18. Admiral Bosch

Admiral Bosch New Member

I picked up a set of these. I haven't seen anyone in this thread mention the one thing that pops out at me - the rear elevation is not click adjustable. Is this accurate to SAN sights? I like how they look but I don't know how well it's going to hold zero.

19. Iamscotticus

This is costume jewelry for your gun. I read the notes on the MFI site about these sights. I don't get the impression that there is/was any intent to produce battle quality sights, just a facsimile of the Swiss diopters that would not fit on the USA made 556. However, for what it is, the quality is still high. I would not expect a detail like this to not make production.