New guy hand guard question | SIG Sauer 556 Forum

New guy hand guard question

Discussion in '556 Lounge' started by Ak-74hero, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Ak-74hero

Ak-74hero New Member

Hi, just had my new 556 swat out today and very happy with it. One question I had is though is I’m not really a fan of the quad rail and would prefer the classic hand guard. Please correct me if I’m wrong but I believe the classic fits the swat? And my main question is would the quad rail be a fair trade for the classic hand guard, or is there even any demand for the quad rail?

2. CGRBB

CGRBB Active Member

You could expect to get about $100 out of your quad rail, if you were to sell it. Not much demand though. If you have a trade opportunity for the classic handguard, you should take it. The plastic handguards are tough to find. You can use a 551 handguard, which are readily available, but you'll have to get a Swiss gas block, or shim the front end in the US gas black, for a proper fit.

3. Ak-74hero

Ak-74hero New Member

Thanks, that’s the info I was looking for

4. rambo

rambo Member

There are two kinds of Quad rails. The older style is the same length as the regular handguards. Later SWAT guns came with a Quad rail that has the rail on top of the receiver attached as one piece. I guess you could change to the regular handguards but you'd have to obtain the short rail that goes on top of the receiver.

rambo

5. CGRBB

CGRBB Active Member

If you do have the handguard with the attached top rail, I have a top rail for the plastic handguard I can sell you.

6. CGRBB

CGRBB Active Member

That was a good point, rambo.

7. Ak-74hero

Ak-74hero New Member

Thanks guys, I have the quad rail that doesn’t go back over the reciever. Or the pic rail on the receiver is a seperate piece from the handguard if I phrased that weird lol