SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend just picked one up from a guy this weekend for $500. This is by far the cleanest looking 1903A3 I have ever seen an I really did not know what the significance of the National Ordinance recieved was until after the deal was done. (for those not aware, it was a parts gun built on GI surplus parts with a foreign made receiver and assembled on El Monteray, CA)

I suspect it is a fine shooter without any collector value whatsoever, but I wanted to ask if I should take this to a smith before putting rounds through it. Some forum posts said there was some headspacing concerns and some said it was just fine. There is evidence it has been shot, but just not a whole lot. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Headspace?

When dealing with an unknown quantity I would error on the side of caution and get the headspace checked just to be safe. The fee for checking headspace usually is not very high.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Keep in mind that National Ordinance Inc, builds its replica rifles on CAST receivers using surplus USGI parts to complete the rifles. They are not an official builder of any US rifles.
The value of such weapons is generally about half of what a genuine US Surplus weapons are. I would also check with a reputable gunsmith that has experience with such weapons before pulling the trigger on one myself. That's a big risk to take with your face and eyes.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
nycstripes said:
Keep in mind that National Ordinance Inc, builds its replica rifles on CAST receivers using surplus USGI parts to complete the rifles. They are not an official builder of any US rifles. I would also check with a reputable gunsmith that has experience with such weapons before pulling the trigger on one myself.
samnev said:
When dealing with an unknown quantity I would error on the side of caution and get the headspace checked just to be safe.
...good advice IMO...at a minimum...i would check the headspacing before firing her...as nycstripes stated...i would have a reputable gunsmith that has experience with such weapons check her out...even then i would still be cautious...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Never heard of one blowing up.They actually enjoy something of a reputation for accuracy.The collector's value is just the sum of its parts,since it doesn't have a USGI receiver.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is at the smith's now. It should be back soon but I fully expect a clean bill of health. I will post pictures when it comes back.

Somehow my friend has decided I am a bad influence. I drove him to get a Garand, up to Aniston, AL to get the IBM carbine from CMP, this 1903, USP Expert, FNAR (he talked me into buying one of these too so don't feel too bad) and the AK. I am not sure why he would consider me a bad influence. Really, I have no idea...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It got a clean bill of health from the smith. Headspace was checked and the smith said the barrel had very little wear. It should be a great shooter and I will report back when we go fire it.

Thanks for the opinions!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts