SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Vendor
825 Posts
I'll name the rifle "Bob". Is it a G42?

There seems to be a fashion gap between the helmet, and the T-shirt. :)

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
7art said:
There seems to be a fashion gap between the helmet, and the T-shirt. :)
LMAO! Yeah that's what the wife said. You guys are spot on though. It's a K43. I didn't know myself until yesterday when I saw it in my father-in-law's gun cabinet. It was given to him along with the helmet by my mother-in-laws uncle after the war. He said he took it off a kraut soldier but never talked about the war so they never found out where or when. It has ac marked on the reciever which I am told means it was built by Walther. I also am told they were originally G43 until 1944 then they changed to K43 or Karabiner 43. The helmet is a M42 with authentic Eagle and Swastika insignia on the side. It's not a replica sticker but the real deal. I thought it was prett cool. The name Knaup is hand written inside the leather helmet liner. There is some blood on the inside but no holes in the helmet that arent supposed to be there. I just thought this was a neat piece of history to share that I myself had no knowledge of until yesterday. History is cool :wink: If you guys have any other info on this subject please post it. Thanks :)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Your helmet is actually the older M-40 (Note the lip on the interior edge of the helmet). It may be an even older M-35 helmet but I wouldn't be able to tell from this photo. Tell me, are the vents on the side of the helmet made from separate pieces.... Kind of like grommets mounted to the side of the helmet? Or are these vents just simple holes drilled into the side of the helmet?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I never noticed any vents in the side. It was solid metal all around. The things that look like vents might just be a discoloration mark or something or maybe a rivet for the liner inside but I never noticed any vents.

·
Registered
342 Posts
There should be one vent.... a small hole about 1/8" in diameter, directly above the Luftwaffe eagle and another on the opposite side of the helmet. These vents are sometimes found stuffed with old mud and other debris, so you may have to take a closer look. If there are no vents, you have a clever fake. Probably made from a post WWII police helmet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts