SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had a 556 SWAT and a few other 5.56 rifles for about a year now and have been doing nothing but iron shooting. A few days ago I decided on an ACOG TA33H-G and placed my order with Larue. A few days later I get an email saying they are out of stock and after checking a lot of internet stores it turns out they are in pretty high demand.

So I decided to find another scope to slap on my gun. After a lot more research I chose the Nightforce 1-4X26 scope with a Larue QD. I also threw in a pair of Troy fold down BUIS (DOA rear with tritium front). I really wish I would have been able to try the Leupold 1.5-5X scope in a lot of different light configurations but I couldn't get my hands on any of these scopes. I basically ended up taking people's word for it and going with the Nightforce. Hopefully I'm happy with it. Oh, and I chose the FCP-2 CQB reticle.

I just placed the order with Larue and am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my new scope. Anybody know how long Larue takes to get the package out of their warehouse?

·
Registered
289 Posts
NightForce Vs ACOG

I wish I had bought the NightForce you did rather than the 4X Acog I put on my 556. I love my NightForce on my TRG 22. You won't be sorry you got the NightForce.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Aubie said:
So I decided to find another scope to slap on my gun. After a lot more research I chose the Nightforce 1-4X26 scope with a Larue QD. I also threw in a pair of Troy fold down BUIS (DOA rear with tritium front). I really wish I would have been able to try the Leupold 1.5-5X scope in a lot of different light configurations but I couldn't get my hands on any of these scopes. I basically ended up taking people's word for it and going with the Nightforce. Hopefully I'm happy with it. Oh, and I chose the FCP-2 CQB reticle.
...the Nightforce 1-4X24 NXS is arguably one of the best low power variables out there....the FC-2 reticle is super fast...you truly bought the best !...an Acog doesn't even come close considering it's short eye relief and poor performance under 50 yards in CQB applications due to it being a "fixed power" magnified optic...

...there's lot's of info posted on this board about Nightforce scopes...here's a small sample...

... http://www.sigarms556.com/viewtopic.php ... hlight=fc2

... http://www.sigarms556.com/viewtopic.php?t=8471&start=0

... http://www.sigarms556.com/viewtopic.php ... nightforce

ullie said:
...both are excellent field grade scopes...and Leupold has the best warrenty in the industry...IMO...the Nightforce has a "very slight" edge over the Leupold...

.i doubt that you will notice a difference in the clarity of the glass...however... the Nightforce will have better light transmission...or put another way...will allow more light to pass through the lenses due to superior lens coating technology...

...the Nightforce scopes are also built to greater tollerances and use design features which increase the "adjustment repeatability" of any adjustments made...you will also have less backlash...and better adjustment tracking...ie...there is less movement perpendicular to the adjustment axis...and as you go through the power range...you'll have less retical displacement over the target image increasing round to round repeatability...another important consideration...
...honestly...i just can't say enough good things about a Nightforce...IMO..you are going to be impressed...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just got off the phone with Larue and they have no more left in stock. I guess I'll keep looking but it looks like it'll cost me a little extra if I want the Larue QD mount. The package deal saved me about 80 bucks. I'll check ebay and gunbroker to see if there are any good used deals.

Thanks Ullie. I read most of those posts before I bought the scope and they heavily influenced my decision.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Have you looked at the Ta11 ACOG?

It's my latest optic purchase and I have to say I'm truly impressed by it's FOV, clarity, bdc, eye relief...

·
Registered
384 Posts

It's my latest optic purchase and I have to say I'm truly impressed by it's FOV, clarity, bdc, eye relief...

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
lenardlex said:

...the Ta11 is definately a high quality "field grade" optic...but not a good choice for CQB applications...IMO...for CQB applications you want to be as close to 1X as possible...have long eye relief and as large of an exit pupil as possible...

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Aubie said:
The TA11 looks awesome but I wanted to go with the 3x ACOG for CQB.
...nothing beats a reflex or holographic sight for CQB applications...but...if used properly...a low powered variable scope withn an illuminated reticle and as close to 1X as possible comes close...the larger the exit pupil and the longer the eye relief the [email protected] 1 X the Nightforce has a ~24mm exit pupil versus the 8mm / 10mm of the 3X Acog...depending on which model...and more than twice the eye relief...and at 4 X...the Nightforce has almost "twice" the eye relief of the 3X Acogs...

...BTW...the exit pupil can be calculated by dividing the "usable" diameter of the objective lens by the "actual" magnification factor...

...not slamming Acogs...they have their place...but not in close quarters...

·
Registered
263 Posts
I own and use both, and as usual, Ullie speaks the truth. 8)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts