SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will there be a loss of zero? I dont mean will the zero be the same for the two rifles, i mean will the scope stay zeroed after you put it back on the orig. weapon?

Let me clarify, I have a 556 and an FN FAL. I have a single 2.5-10X IOR scope, mounted with Warne QD rings. The scope has zero stops, so you can set your zero correspond with the number 0 on the turrets, so after compensating for wind you can just turn the turrets back to the number 0 to get back to your original zero.

What I'm thinking of doing, is using the same optic for both rifles, but primarily for the 556. I would like to be able to take it off the 556, put it in the FAL, then sight it in for that, making a note of how far off it is from the 556, then when I put it back on the 556, I won't have to sight it in again, just return the knobs to zero.

My question is this. Will clamping the rings down onto a different rail than they were zeroed for change anything, so that the scope would no longer be zeroed when mounted back on the 556?

I know that sounds a little convoluted but I hope it makes sense. Thanks for any replies. This is a temporary solution by the way, just a way to be able to shoot the FAL at range until I get it its own optic.

·
Vendor
825 Posts
It ought to work if your rail is straight. I shoot a 1,000 yard gun, where matches are scope/scope/irons, so I need to switch during a match, and it is close enough (if the wind isn't killing me), that with 2 sighters I'm back on target.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Switching Rifle Scopes

I've never had any luck switching scopes, the remounting them and having the same exact zero. Sometimes it was very close if only shooting 100 yards but a problem if shooting long range.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Buck Rogers said:
What I'm thinking of doing, is using the same optic for both rifles, but primarily for the 556. I would like to be able to take it off the 556, put it in the FAL, then sight it in for that, making a note of how far off it is from the 556, then when I put it back on the 556, I won't have to sight it in again, just return the knobs to zero.

My question is this. Will clamping the rings down onto a different rail than they were zeroed for change anything, so that the scope would no longer be zeroed when mounted back on the 556?
Buck Rogers said:
Will there be a loss of zero?
...yes...you will always have a loss of zero when removing and remounting an optic...the best case would be a loss ~ 1 MOA or slightly less...

...if you were using a 1 piece QD mount with integral rings...like the Larue LT-104...together with an scope that has excellent adjustment repeatability...you should be close...mabey within 1 MOA...as long as you re-mounted the scope in "exactly" the same place on the rail that it was previousely mounted...

...assuming you do not remove the scope from the rings when transfering it from one rifle to another...you "may" be close...as long as you re-mount it in "exactly" the same position on the rail...and use the "same amount of force" to secure the rings...the QD rings should be a plus here...you will...however...loose some of your zero and will have to re-zero to some degree...if done properly...a few clicks should do it...assuming the scope has excellent adjustment repeatability without any backlash...which the IOR does...

...when resetting the scope windage and elevation adjustments...go past the "zero" point a ~3 MOA and then reset at the origional zero point...both in windage and elevation...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts