MFI MAD BUIS | SIG Sauer 556 Forum

MFI MAD BUIS

Discussion in 'Optics, Mounts, and Sights' started by Napalmsmellslikevictory, Dec 25, 2020.

1. Napalmsmellslikevictory

Napalmsmellslikevictory New Member

I've been looking around for a better rear sight for a standard-early model (2008 era fishgill model) SIG 556. I'm aware of the options and have been looking for more information on the MFI MAD rear sight . It would be used with the standard SIG flip up blade style front sight mounted to the gas block.

MFI states on its website that its rear mount MAD sight for the SIG 556 does not have an elevation adjustment. In my mind that could create an issue for using the sight with the standard SIG front sight (flip up blade on the earlier models) because it also doesn't have elevation adjustment.

Am I wrong in thinking that the lack of any elevation adjustment on either sight could lead to issues trying to zero the weapon or just getting any accuracy out of it? For anyone that has experience with this sight, has it been good?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
  2. CGRBB

CGRBB Active Member

I have no experience with this exact sight, but a lack of elevation adjustment is not ideal. However, in the context of a backup sight, it may not be critical, so long as the POI is pretty close. You could also get one direction of adjustment by filing down your front blade, but that would only enable you bring your POI up. You'd be SOL if you needed to bring it down. MFI products are typically well thought-out, and he likely made them so they are where they need to be, elevation-wise.

3. Napalmsmellslikevictory

Thanks for the response, CGRBB. I'm probably overthinking this. The website for the product states that "we have point of impact set for 100m to 150m for .223" so you're probably right that they are where they need to be for a back up sight on a weapon like this one, which is by no means a precision gun. I guess so long as it is "minute of pie plate" it would be good enough given the realistic distances over which I'd be firing using only iron sights. Given the other options, which are considerably more expensive, I think I might give this rear sight a try unless anyone else has something overly negative to say about them in the next few days.

4. HermCorps

HermCorps Member

Did u consiser their rear diopter/rail? This would be compatible with ur rifle sinceim guessing ur '08 ER has the 3 hole picatinny rail. I have the MFI diopter, & granted I've only shot it out to 100yrds & haven't been able to try the other range settings, but it is def a tac driver out to 100. & it's very well made & it gives ur rifle a more Swiss Sig 551 look. Just thought I'd ask. My MFI rear diopter is matched up with a 550 front sight on my '07 ER, & from what I understand is the same height as the flip up blade front sight u have. If u wanna see pics I can show u what the MFI diopter looks mounted on a ER.

5. Napalmsmellslikevictory

I've considered it, but it is a good deal more expensive and would require me to switch out the front sight as well. I wasn't looking to go to that much expense or trouble to be honest (I get that the front sight isn't really that much trouble to change). Further, at that price I don't really like seeing the disclaimers MFI has posted about the diopter sight-I appreciate MFI's honesty, but it makes me a bit hesitant to invest that much money.

HermCorps likes this.
  6. HermCorps

HermCorps Member

Totally get it. Just thought I'd throw it out there. The disclaimers had me hesitant as well, but since I knew the furthest I'd ever push the rifle would be 200yrds, which I still haven't done yet, I decided to go with it & it turned out to be excellent. Plus, gettting as close to the Swiss look as possible was priority for me. If u do end up pulling the trigger on that MAD rear sight, def keep us posted on how it works out for u.