Match Trigger kit now available for 556R | SIG Sauer 556 Forum

Match Trigger kit now available for 556R

Discussion in 'New Products' started by ShootingSight, Jul 23, 2012.

1. ShootingSight

ShootingSight Member Supporting Vendor

In my latest batch of 556 Triggers, I had a handful modified so they will fit the original 556R hammer spring. The extra machining costs a little more, but I don't have to supply a replacement hammer spring, so I figure it is a break even. Net, they are $135 delivered in the US.

One disclaimer: I have never actually tried one of these, since I do not own a 556R, but everything I understand is the the only difference between the 556 and the 556R is that the R has a heavier hammer spring, so as long as I made the new hammer to fit the original dimensions of the hammer spring, it should allow you to use your own spring. So for the first couple of people who order:

1. Don't yell at me if it turns out to not work.
    2. I'll make it right or give you your money back in the event it does not work.

$135 PayPal to this address, or you can call me with a credit card, or a check to:

393 Oregon St, Cincinnati, OH 45202

Benefits you can expect:

1. Butter smooth trigger pull, even if you run it dry in a dusty environment.
    2. Very crisp break and hammer release, you can set the second stage plunger to give minimum creep.
    3. Elimination of the annoying 'pre-first-stage slack'.
    4. Smoother charging handle operation, and the bolt carrier group slides over the hammer more easily, eliminating the hangup on the forward travel of the BCG.

Length of pull and trigger pull force are not changed with this kit.

Thanks,

Art

2. Whisper

Whisper New Member

So, has anybody bought one of these and put it in a 556R yet?

Wondering,
    Whisper

3. ShootingSight

I'm actually out of stock for a while. When I first made the 556R as an experiment, I had a dozen made to see if there was interest. So to answer your question directly, there are exactly 12 people out there who have bought these and put them in :).....

Sales have been slow, but not zero, so as I fire my EDM guy up to make the next batch of 556 triggers, I'll have a bunch more made.

Timing is probably 2 months out.

4. Whisper

Whisper New Member

When these babies and the 522 triggers are available, please be sure to post a message here. I will get one of each.

Thanks,
    Whisper

5. Cowboy1

Cowboy1 New Member

I have one and I love it and money well spent.

CB

6. CB3

CB3 New Member

I put the 556 hammer/spring/sear kit in my 556R and it all works fine. I like it. No light strikes with the different hammer spring.

7. Cowboy1

Cowboy1 New Member

So you are using a regular 556 hammer spring in your 556R? does the bolt cycle a little easier?

CB

8. ShootingSight

My understanding is that SIG made a stronger hammer spring to deal with hard mil-surp primers in 762x39.

If you put in the regular kit, you get the regular spring strength of the spring I supplied, rather than the higher strenght spring. Great if it works, but as you go through different lots of ammo, you might find some that don't ignite reliably.

9. kofikingston

kofikingston New Member

Sounds a good 556 trigger sir, is this already available?..
    i'm interested to purchased some...

10. ShootingSight

Yes the 556 trigger is available.

I am currently out of stock on the 556R, though the difference is only a relief cut on the hammer, so the spring will fit. The parts are heat treated, so making that cut after heat treat (ie converting one of the 556 hammers to a 556R) is a pain, however I'm looking at two ways to do this on a grinder as a near term remedy until the next batch of parts come in perhaps 4-6 weeks. I know I can make it work, but the parts will have a machined surface cut through the hard surface coat. No issue with functionality, but you can see that it was modified.

522 triggers are in production, I expect them also in 4-6 weeks.

11. CB3

CB3 New Member

I put Art's 556 spring and hammer/sear in my 556R and initially had good results firing mostly commercial brass ammo (See post above, CB3). Later when I tried import steel ammo, I had some light strikes, failures to fire.

The OEM 556R hammer spring on the Gen 1 556R was the same as the 556, and light strikes were a known weakness. About March of '12, Sig upgraded a number of parts on the 556R to make the gun more reliable. They included a black plastic spacer with the hammer spring. This effectively wound it tighter, giving more force to the hammer. Gen 2.

I had my Gen 1 556R retrofitted with the upgrades through the service department at Sig in Sept. '12, so I had the upgraded spring when I swapped it out for Art's 556 spring. I spaced out his advice that the Sig 556R spring and tweaked hammer needed to be used rather than his new 556 spring. Art sent me a 556R hammer with a special cut in it to fit the OEM 556R hammer spring, and I returned his 556 hammer and spring. Everything works perfectly. 556 and 556R are different set-ups in the hammer/spring area. Sears and other springs are the same.

It is possible now that Sig has made an upgraded 556R spring on newer 556R's, rather than winding a 556 spring tighter with the black plastic filler.

Holding the receiver in my lap I was unable to get the 556R spring back in. Art told me to use a padded vice to hold the receiver. I did that and the spring was easy to place. Also used a Phillips head screw driver as a temporary pin.

Art was very helpful and accomodating to overcome my mistakes in ordering and installing parts.

I have also put in Matt Krueg's reduced trigger pull spring set and carefully adjusted the rear trigger plunger, including using a small black spacer. Great trigger now, smooth, crisp, ~3.5 lbs. Still has too long a first stage and reset, but I will reduce that with the front/top of trigger weld method soon.

Also installed the Zurich Wedge (covered elsewhere in the forum) to tighten the upper/lower receivers, which were a little loose. Now very tight. Here are two groups from shooting today.

4X scope, prone, rested, Winchester White Box 123 grn FMJ, 25 yards (indoors), 5 rnds. Second target benefitted from a scope adjustment. Two 1/2" groups shot consecutively, dirty barrel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. lilMAC25

lilMAC25 Member

Any of the 556R kits available?

Thanks

13. tom1263

tom1263 New Member

I would like to purchase a set for my 556 Classic. Please let me know

14. ShootingSight

Kits are in stock.

With my most recent batch, I blended the 556 and 556R design, so my 'Gen II' will fit either rifle.

Art

15. WallaS

WallaS New Member

Had mine installed over the weekend in my 556R.

Damn, the hammer is a pain to get back in, is there a trick to install it in case I remove it again in the future? OEM trigger was just over 8lbs, Art's trigger definitely lowered the trigger weight and eliminated the creep.

I'll get a chance to shoot it and remeasure the trigger weight over the weekend and will update.

Thanks Art!

16. tom1263

tom1263 New Member

Well I got both kits and I'm ready to rock! Question for those of you who have already completed.

Did everyone complete and test the shootingsite new hammer/sear install first....and then do the reduced spring install second? Some details would be great before I dive in.

Thanks!

Tom

17. LawlerUSMC

LawlerUSMC New Member

Do you still sell the trigger upgrades? and if so, how do I go about purchasing one. Picked up a sig556 patrol a couple weeks ago and was looking to upgrade

18. Iamscotticus

Iamscotticus Well-Known Member