Manticore Arms ELSA safety for SIG 556 and 522 | SIG Sauer 556 Forum

Manticore Arms ELSA safety for SIG 556 and 522

Discussion in 'New Products' started by ManticoreArms, Feb 26, 2012.

1. ManticoreArms

ManticoreArms Member Supporting Vendor

[ORIGINAL POST UPDATED]

[​IMG]
    Anodized extended paddle version mounted on gun

[​IMG]
    Right off the mill before tumble and anodize

ELSA Safety Lever for SIG 556 and SIG 522 $37.95

The ELSA (Enhanced Leverage Safety Assembly) comes in two options- an "extended lever" and an "extended paddle" model. Both designs are completely ambidextrous and can be mounted on both sides of the rifle! (Rifles with side folding stocks may need minor modification and/or a relief cut on the stock for full folding). Both models add 3/16" of length over the stock lever, feature a flat surface instead of the less effective angled surface of the stock safety lever, and the paddle version doubles the surface area for activation thus making it possible for even small hands to reach and use it easily.

We recommend your choice of the paddle or lever on the left side of the rifle, and a lever on the right side of the rifle if equipped with a sidefolding stock. For pistols or rifles with non-folding stocks a pair of levers or pair of paddles is an excellent choice!

As a standalone product the ELSA safety lever will make switching the safety considerably easier. Combined with the Scorpion Grip and the EMBR magazine button you will have ergonomics on par if not better than an AR-15- easy to reach and comfortable controls the way they should be!

The ELSA safety lever is made in the USA of 6061 aluminum anodized black. It includes the lever, a roll pin, and an instruction sheet for installation. it will work on all models of SIG 556, SIG 550, and SIG 522.

BOTH LEVERS WILL WORK ON EITHER THE LEFT OR THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE RIFLE. THE SIG 556 SAFETY LEVERS ARE SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED SO THAT THE SAME PART WORKS ON BOTH SIDES.

View the installation video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr2weD7ee5U&feature=plcp

2. Dyn

Dyn New Member

Very good product but it seems to lack a good style.

All function no aesthetic which isnt bad per say just kind of clunky looking.

3. ManticoreArms

This is the "plain jane" model designed to give all function in the simplest, cleanest, most economical package possible- we did a short run to test the market to make sure we were on track and will have these up for sale shortly. So far every single beta tester has said that functionally it is just about perfect, and no one's thumb has complained about the appearance so far. :wink:

But we also recognize that a good look is important and we have a "dolled up" version that should be available a little bit down the road.

Sven
    Manticore Arms

4. Charlie Whiskey

Charlie Whiskey Member

Excellent Concept!!!

Rugged is fine, as it should be function over form, but just chamfering the flats a bit, and adding some milling to the piece would do wonders. [this from the wanna-be engineer] :lol:

I'll be in for one, possibly two.

Just another thought~ Could the ELSA be thinned so that lefties would NOT have to modify their stock, or folks that wanted to put one on each side would also NOT have to modify their stock?...allowing the clearance necessary?

5. Dyn

Dyn New Member

Does the stock need a relief cut if you do not use the screw?

Just curious.

6. ManticoreArms

"Does the stock need a relief cut if you do not use the screw"

The short answer is "yes".

The slightly long answer is "no, but the stock won't fold the whole way without it, and we recommend the slight relief cut in the stock"

SIG in their infinite wisdom (and probably not anticipating any alterations or aftermarket parts to the rifle) made the recess for the safety on the stock *exactly* the right size for the safety- like literally down to a few hundredths of an inch. In fact, this is one of the reasons making a new ambi safety was so damn difficult - SIG just did not leave any room at all for changes and alterations. The SIG 556 has been one of the more difficult product lines to work with.

If you just use the lever, the stock will fold most the way, it just won't lock.

I have been really busy but I will see about getting some photos and/or video this weekend to show exactly what happens and what needs to be done to the stock.

As an aside, one of the reasons we have been looking at a new stock design is to increase the size of the recess in our design over that of the OEM sidefolders to give some room for both the ELSA and the EMBR. I think we may even be able to get enough room for a recess pocket to actually get your finger to active the right side safety when the stock is folded, but the devil will be in the details.

Sven
    Manticore Arms

7. ManticoreArms

Here are some updated pics - we will be offering two versions, an extended lever and an extended paddle.

FYI, people have asked why it is taking so long to get these out- truth is this project has been jinxed since day one with every imaginable thing going wrong (better all with one product than spread out!) but we will be offering this late summer/early fall and will let everyone know when they are finally for sale!

[​IMG]
    Right off the mill before tumble and anodize

[​IMG]
    Anodized extended paddle version mounted on gun

8. shotdown61

shotdown61 Active Member

Im liking that one better than you original.I might consider getting one when you have them ready.

9. ManticoreArms

Parts just came off the machine and passed QC, we are sending them out for anodizing and then they will be up for sale in about 10-12 days on the website (cross your fingers, knock on wood!)

Sven
    Manticore Arms

10. camarobeast84

camarobeast84 Member

Wow these are much improved over the original design, and it's awesome that you guys made two different models to fit shooters of all shapes and sizes... Looks to be another home run from Manticore...

11. ManticoreArms

Thanks! They are supposed to ship from the anodizer back to us tomorrow, should hopefully have them on the website early next week (right before we leave for Knob Creek, LOL!)

12. ManticoreArms

Guess what showed up from our anodizing shop right at the end of the workday today? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I will have them up on the website hopefully on Monday, will be coming into the office to finish up the instruction sheet this weekend!

Sven
    Manticore Arms

13. ManticoreArms

14. ManticoreArms

15. Landonbrogan

Landonbrogan Member

So i got my Sig out the other day for the first time this month, and flipped my safety lever to pew and it snapped right off. What the hell is this crap made out of, some sort of ceramic metal mixture? Well anyways, looks like i have to buy the Elsa. Does it come with both sides or just one, and they are ambidextrous correct?

16. macsak

macsak New Member

you order both sides if you like
    they make a thicker one and a thinner one
    you use the thinner one on the same side as the folder if you plan to fold the stock

17. bravo2

bravo2 New Member

Still have these? Has the design changed any? I’m a lefty and seems the extended wide one might be what I need as I can’t reach my controls hardly on the right.
    Those who have bought this what you think?