SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
came out ok, its solid and mags feed and drop easy, not sure its necessary w/ the afg on there but i like holding it by magwell so figured midas well.

had to dremel the top corners abit but majority of the work was gutting the inside so it would snap in front. when i started there was 1/4" gap in the front, back was fitting.

i poked through just slightly on ejection port side, middle finger, those other holes are where the nuts go to tighten it.

im not much on looks as much as what works.

·
Registered
472 Posts
That's awesome! i was wondering when some one was gonna try that out.

nice work!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Really freaking cool, hope you dont mind, but I gotta buncha questions.

Who makes the grip, and what kind of grip was it originally?

How's you attatch it? I'm guessing the original screw mounts werent going to work? Epoxy or glue of some sort?

I love the 551 hangaurds, and want a lightweight vfg without having to mount a rail to the plastic 551 gaurds, these seems to be a great solution.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fab defense, only one size and for ARs

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ARR755-7.html

i put it on like it was intended, has 3 bolts and 3 nuts that are inside those holes, 1 by trigger and 2 in front, just kept shaving the inside thinner until i could get the bolts to bite then tightened it down

i wouldn't use any type of glue, it would be loose and also ruin your gun if you ever wanted to take it off

its so tight w/ the bolts that i couldnt rip it off if i tried my hardest

·
Registered
226 Posts
nih said:
fab defense, only one size and for ARs

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ARR755-7.html

i put it on like it was intended, has 3 bolts and 3 nuts that are inside those holes, 1 by trigger and 2 in front, just kept shaving the inside thinner until i could get the bolts to bite then tightened it down

i wouldn't use any type of glue, it would be loose and also ruin your gun if you ever wanted to take it off

its so tight w/ the bolts that i couldnt rip it off if i tried my hardest
That is pretty much exactly what I wanted to hear, thank you sir, I'm very excited about this project. :D

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good luck, took me about an hr w/ rechecking every so often

i ended up w/ maybe 1/8" between the 2 pieces at the front but its pretty flexible that once you get the bolts threaded you can tighten it up snug w/ those

there is a groove on lower inside for a normal ar magwell..the sig magwell is a diff angle, pretty much shave half the depth from that groove up

·
Registered
690 Posts
The classic lower looks like it may work better with this item. Does it help with increasing the speed of mag changes?

·
Registered
306 Posts
tvchance said:
Uhhhhh... Yeah.... Glad you like it.
Dont knock it til you try it man.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Never tried ripping my own eyes out before but I'm pretty sure I don't want to do it.... Anyway, glad he likes it.... What's it for again?

·
Registered
306 Posts
tvchance said:
Never tried ripping my own eyes out before but I'm pretty sure I don't want to do it.... Anyway, glad he likes it.... What's it for again?
Really?

Ok class is in session.

First lets take notice of the grooves. strangely shaped as if you could wrap fingers around them.

Fingers are those long things on your hand.

This allows some shooters a more comfortable/STABLE grip of said firearm.

Its functional. and last time I checked its not how a firearm looks but how it FUNCTIONS that matters. :wink:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i could rip my own eyes out if i really wanted to...as much as i would or wouldn't want to rip that off my sig, i couldn't. needs an allen wrench. feels like a solid piece of the rifle.

i didnt want to say this, but ive drank enough beer that my belly sticks out just right that i can put my left elbow on it when i have this grip in hand..makes a nice triangle in standing position and is pretty stable when i stop breathing.

belly4tw

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I have found the 556 doesn't balance well when held by the mag well, too much weight up front. Hope it works for you.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i shot 80 rds tonight, testing my laser out to see if it held zero under the stress, 25 yrds, held it by magwell most the night, its heavy..especially w/ levang and bipod adapter on it but managable, guess its just shooter preference, i feel, and can see w/ laser that im less stable w/ my hand out on afg than magwell.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Swap out the Levang, fishgill handguards and bipod and that thing will feel way more balanced.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Sorry, I thought that's what the Magpul AFG vertcal grip was for.... Or the stock SIG hand guards might work as a novel gripping surface. 'Course the Magwell will protect your hands from a hot receiver... Wait, because it's piston driven, the SIG's receiver doesn't get hot. Ummmm, what's this for again? Just playin' with ya! But, how many hands do you have?

·
Registered
342 Posts
A difference in opinion is what makes a good horse race. I will give you this to think about; Your rifle features three different "tactical" for-grips and not a single light?????

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Your rifle features three different "tactical" for-grips and not a single light?????

there's 2 places i put my left hand, on afg or on magwell..are you counting the space in between them? why would i put my hand there?

I think they are comfortable and provide better stability than holding the fishgill or the naked magwell. I'm more accurate with them than without, pretty sure that's what matters.

If a rifle feels to hot to hold, get a glove.

they say you can feed a mag faster, i dont really feed mags fast w/ or w/out it so can't comment but they advertise it does, they also advertise that its better for people that learned AK and now AR because it corrects the angle if your trying to seat mag corner first out of habit from AK. I just like how i have more to grip to pull rifle into shoulder when standing.

another point if you guys are looking for reasons to put one on, if somebody grabs barrel and pulls your less likely to lose balance w/ your hands back on magwell/pistol grip than if you had your left hand farther out. If your close quarters this weapon w/ 16" barrel is pretty long compared to mp5/m14 etc, could happen. not to me, at a range, but maybe if you're using a sig for work.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts