SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Magpull Magazines

I've got two 20 round mags from Magpull and my Sig 556 doesn't like them at all. FTFs all day long. In fact the only magazine that has been flawless is the sig 30 rounder that came with it. It sounds like this is the exception rather than the rule. Anybody have an answer as to why these Pmags don't work? In most cases the missed round is still in the magazine slightly tilted upwards and its always the round on the left side that gives me an FTF. It seems that on the rearward movement of the bolt carrier, as it slides over the next round to be fed, it pushes the back of the case downward and it stays down allowing the bolt to miss it

·
Registered
591 Posts
you need to break in the pmags. cycles the springs up and down 100 times and you'll have no issues (at least with them).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maguls still don't work in my gun. The only one I've tried that works properly is the sig mag. The Magpuls I'm having trouble with are 20 rounders. When they're fully loaded they're fine. After seven or eight rounds the spring allows the rear of the case to be pushed down slightly after the bolt pushes down on it on the bolt's rearward travel. On the next pull of the trigger the round then stays in the Mag while the bolt slides across it. On the sig mag, when you push on the back end of the case, all the rounds move perfectly level which is the way it should be. I don't quite understand the hatred for the Sig Magazine.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I have eleven pmags and shoot about 120rds every other weekend. I think I've had maybe two or three jams ever.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Maybe the newer SIG mags are ok, they may have fixed the problem. Some guys modified their own and then they worked ok. Mine sucked ass. I don't use it at all. As far as PMAGS I never have had a problem. It sounds like your problem is consistent which does support the theory that PMAGS just don't work well for you. I would borrow a used one from a friend that says his mags work great and give it a try in your rifle. Not trying to sound like a fanboy but I honestly have only heard one other person have a PMAG issue and it was Op Error and was resolved. Good luck :wink:

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Call magpul industries - the followers in your 20 rd mags might be defective. All of my 30 rd pmags perform flawlessly.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I called Magpul yesterday. They told me that PMags have been extremely successful on Sig 556's which mirrors most opinion on this forum. They also said that the 20 rounders by design don't have a true anti-tilt follower due to its straight design. I've sent my 20 rounders back in exchange for a 30 round magazine that they thought would give me no problem at all. Maybe its just my gun and 20 round magazines and not Magpul. I purchased a 20 round mag from Brownells and tried it. It does the same thing that the Magpul does. As far as "ease of feeding" the Magpul wins but neither consistantly feed properly.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Last weekend I bought 2 PMAG 30 round mags with full length window and the orange indicator bar. 300 rounds of Winchester 5.56 at the range and another 500 of Lake City AP on the farm. No problems at all. Never had any problems with my Sig mags either.

·
Registered
142 Posts
restoring said:
Call magpul industries - the followers in your 20 rd mags might be defective. All of my 30 rd pmags perform flawlessly.
I also have a batch of flawless 30 round PMAGS. The best mags I have tried.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I second what was said above, call magpul! They make very good mags, I'd be shocked if they didn't stand behind their product.

Its rare that a product lives up to its hype, but with the Pmag it should.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My 20 rounders were returned and exchanged for a 30 rounder. Maybe its been my particular gun all along? I don't know. But my gun has been sent back to Sig to solve the feed issues. Has anyone had near flawless experience with their Sig 556 and 20 round magazines? If so, then its most likely the gun because its had multiple failures with every10, 20, and and 30 round mags I've tried. Sure hope it gets resolved

1 - 12 of 12 Posts