Magazine mod and failure | SIG Sauer 556 Forum

Magazine mod and failure

Discussion in '556 Discussions' started by CGRBB, May 16, 2020.

1. CGRBB

CGRBB Active Member

7209DFC9-7069-488D-84CC-C9009FC3CB99.jpeg I recently had a local gunsmith modify some of my 30rd mags. The lugs that facilitate coupling consistently snag on my pouches, when trying to remove them. So he milled them down for me. I am very pleased with the result. The mags can be purchased without lugs, when available, but this didn’t cost me much. I only ever couple the 20rd mags, as I find the 60 rounds on-board to be a bit cumbersome.

I only just today experienced a 20rd mag that no longer wants to retain the uppermost round, on a fully-loaded mag. It’s a bummer, as it perhaps indicates the impending failure of an expensive mag, but I guess it’s an inevitable result of use.

2. Bosley

Bosley Active Member

Ouch. That's one of the heartbreaks of having such a thing--is it a shooter or a novelty, something to be mostly admired and looked at. Then when running it, things can break/wear and it becomes an expensive shooter.

Good for bringing up the mags snagging on things. People become more aware of the snagging potential of things when they run them through real world experiences. An example of this is if the stock has a lot of big holes in it, it'll snag on brush/branches going through thick areas. But unless someone actually goes through such areas, they don't know. Wrapping the stock eliminates this and can help silence twig drags on it that happens with some stocks.

3. Millerdaga

Millerdaga Member

+1
    [​IMG]

4. CGRBB

CGRBB Active Member

All my guns are shooters. Some more than others. I’d be lying if I said there aren’t a couple I’d rather not drag across the gravel driveway, but all of them are well loved, and the majority of them are registered SBRs. So resale is a slim possibility for them anyway.

I have not beat through the brush with a Sig. I imagine what you say about the buttstock would certainly apply. However, as much as I love 55x rifles (a lot), I still hesitate to say I’d default to one in a real situation. It hurts me to say it.

5. Bosley

Bosley Active Member

I'm sure we all understand that sentiment. I'd choose my lightweight AR first as it's set up better (1-6 pst), more accurate and lighter than the Sig. Plus, I'd not want to get a Sig dirty...... :-D

I use ARs for hunting which is where I discovered that issue in a lot of handguards. Urban, desert no worries but thick brush can definitely get you hung up on. I sometimes use a dpms ar-10 which has a thick alum tube for a stock. It can function like a bell, but even a small twig scraping against it can be loud. And that's just what I can hear...an old guy with hearing aids.

6. CGRBB

CGRBB Active Member

I would have to gravitate toward one of my ARs as well. They are much better with a silencer, and the weight is an undeniable difference.

7. Bosley

Bosley Active Member

and all of my ARs are pistons...so I'm splitting the difference. :-D

8. CGRBB

CGRBB Active Member

C2FED818-E17A-4860-910D-BC00DBE1A611.jpeg 6D0A96FA-450A-49B6-9075-BDD77BD7F5F8.jpeg Had another mag fail on me yesterday. Damn shame, considering what they cost, but I do get a lot of use out of them.