SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

141 - 144 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
Got my spare charging handle thanks to @CGRBB. Gonna start tearing into it and see what I can come up. Thinking of just welding on an extension and then machining the knurled knob. Use either roll pins or set screws to attach it.

Also finished up my custom riser for my Holosun 407C. I originally had the Holosun 510.. but after a while I got tired of occasionally hitting my knuckles on the quick release lever when reaching under and racking the gun. This new setup is MUCH slimmer and has an overall smaller footprint with the trade off being a smaller sight window. I was locked into the height and had a very small window to play with because of the iron sights and still being able to use my magnifier. I wanted to be able to sight my irons through the Holosun window. But still needed the Holosun at the right height to use the magnifier with it. Ended up machining a piece of 6061 with locating bosses on top for the optic, and locating counterbores on the bottom for the Holosun picatinny mount. Pretty happy with how it came out. Fits my needs perfectly.

·
Registered
Sig556ER; Swiss internals; 551 HG; UBR stock w/MDT Folding SA; MFI rear diopter; 550 FS; Versa-Pod
66 Posts
Just wanted to throw this out there regarding Swiss Op rods...I didn't read every post so 4give me if this was mentioned already, but if u do end up hunting down a Swiss one, be aware that there are actually 2 style Swiss rods. 1 being the solid one mentioned in previous post, & the other having a solid center & fluted on each end. That's what my ER has in it & it took me forever to figure out if it easy US or Swiss. Apparently these Swiss rods that had fluting put on each end during developmental stages? Or something to that effect. But anyway, just thought u could add that to ur 556 parts knowledge. & At the very least, it's just interesting to know. So to recap, there are 3 style Sig 556 Op rods: Fluted = US made; solid = Swiss; & Fluted w/ solid center = Swiss.
Semper Fidelis

Reactions: xpotrpr

·
Registered
561 Posts
there are actually 2 style Swiss rods. 1 being the solid one mentioned in previous post, & the other having a solid center & fluted on each end. That's what my ER has in it & it took me forever to figure out if it easy US or Swiss.
I didn't know that. So how to differentiate the recoil rods?

141 - 144 of 144 Posts