SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently looking at a Savage Model 10 that has been tinkered with a bit (has a Mcmillan A2 stock, and had some other work done to it), No scope, and not sure on the mount that is on it. I was told $750 for it, and if I would like to see it, it would be arranged. It is chambered in 308, and from what I was told shot 178 grain Superformance match ammo very well (3" groups at 500, 5" groups at 1200). I never believe everything I hear, and only about a third of what I see. Is said rifle capable of such accuracy? Most likely not by me of course! Is $750 a good price? I have been told there is about 150-200 rounds through it. Anyone here have such a rifle, and your opinions on it would be appreciated. Thank you, Jason

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've got the Model 12FV in .308 which is pretty similar, just cosmetic differences. As far as 3 inch groups at 500 yards, yeah that sounds reasonable. But an increase in accuracy at more than twice that distance seems ridiculous to me. At 1200 yards that round is most likely going transonic, which is counter to an increase in accuracy. As far as that rifle is concerned it probably is a fair price to pay if its in like new condition. I'd inspect the rifling very well before I bought it.
Good Luck

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
fun_is_for_amatures said:
It is chambered in 308, and from what I was told shot 178 grain Superformance match ammo very well (3" groups at 500, 5" groups at 1200). I never believe everything I hear, and only about a third of what I see.
...i don't even believe the 3" groups at 500 yards...although it may be possible...5" groups at 1200 yards...i'd pay to see that...

...i would pass...

...Savage has some really nice rifles in their LE Series...some very reasonably priced...i would suggest one with the AccuTrigger and AccuStock...add a nice scope and you're GTG...

... http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks alot guys. I figure I will take a look at it, just to see it at the least. I never did ask if it was new enough to have the accu-triger on it. I can get a new model 10 from Cabela's for $650, and it has the trigger and stock.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
fun_is_for_amatures said:
Thanks alot guys. I figure I will take a look at it, just to see it at the least. I never did ask if it was new enough to have the accu-triger on it. I can get a new model 10 from Cabela's for $650, and it has the trigger and stock.
...here's an old tread you might be interested in...don't know if you've seen it...

... http://www.sigarms556.com/viewtopic.php?t=7127

...IMO...the Savage LE series are one of the most overlooked "great" bolt guns out there...i suggest you go with a model that has a 24 inch barrel to take full advantage of the 308 cartrage...and shop around for price...

...on a accurate rifle such as an Savage 10 FCP-K / 10 FLCP-K...i would recomend going with the best glass you can afford...something in the 4.5-14 range or so...Leupolds are a good bet...and it doesn't need to be a spendy "tactical" series scope...their VX 3 series are GTG...great field grade scopes !

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'm with Ullie 110% on this, these rifles are way overlooked and will out shoot most fancy custom rifles, right out of the box. I have the 10 FCP-K and have added a Harris bi-pod, Custom cheek riser mounted to it's original Kick butt stock, Great trigger also. I've also mounted a TPS steel rail and scope mounts with, another way overlooked scope, the SWFA super sniper HD 10X scope.
I have looked and tried just about every scope there is, I like Leupold's, I have a CQT on my Sig and another will go on my AUG, If I do not use a TR24G. Anyway, For the money, with the optic clarity, quality of build, and service, I had to go with SWFA. I am a super freak about having the right equipment and I am not afraid to spend good money on top quality. But for the money this Rifle and scope will out perform 95+% of the scopes / rifles on the market, yes even Night Force and the Remingtons! :shock: Both @about $800.00 each, they do the job right and I would take them into battle in a heartbeat! Now that being said, I would feel OK comfy with what Ullie suggested also. Leupold is no slouch and I would not feel bad if it were tied to my rifle, I just chose these units because I feel there are the better option for performance and reliability. Now I can buy more fun things with the several thousand $ I could have spent on, in reality, lesser equipment. Like the New and on the way to me now ACC 762 SD, 51 tooth suppressor that will mount to my (already threaded) barrel via the new Breakout muzzle break/mount. Also for close up range, I mounted an RMR @ a 45degree angle onto the scope. Some will say that is ridiculous, but the field of view on a 10X scope is very narrow @ 50 yard, especially on a fast approaching moving target that may surprise you. So all you do now is roll out 10-15 degrees and you can track with ease. Bang! :lol:

Just my thoughts, hope they help. Do the research, lots of great reviews on all that was mentioned.

·
Registered
256 Posts
No doubt, Savage makes some fine rifles. When you throw in how really affordable they are you just about can't go wrong. Great product and great company.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts