SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm close to pulling the trigger on this:

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactic ... .bok?no=81

and want to know the proper way to connect this to my gun. How do I make sure it's level? Do I need a vice? If so what options are out there? A quick google search turned up

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=110829

While I'm asking, I plan on getting the Troy Industries tritium rear and front sites. Will there be enough room to mount the rear BUIS? Should I go with the low profile sites?

THanks!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I prefer a lower optic than a high uncomfortable cheek weld, but that's my preference. You'd need to check the height of the BUIS you're planning on, do the math, then choose the appropriate mount height. There's some really nice mounts on the LaRue site.

As far as leveling your scope, I made a really simple jig with some 2x4 scraps, and that turned out to be over engineering. You don't need anything fancy. The thing that is good to have is a small torpedo level, or better, just a level vial. A few bucks at your local hardware store.

Get any flat surface, check that it's level with the level. Put the rifle on it, and place the level or vial on the rail to see that it's level. Resting the mag well on a table worked for me. Then put your mount(s) on, and loosely tighten it up so you can still rotate your scope.

Place the level on the top cap of the scope and rotate it till it's level, then begin to tighten it down, checking level as you go.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I just set the scope into the rings and leveled that on my desktop before putting it on the rail leaving the lock-down ring screws loose.

Then once I put the scope on the rail, I put the rifle down on a level surface and leveled the horizontal elevation cross-hair against a level side of my barn and tightened up the screws.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Wheeler Engineering makes the "Level-Level-Level" crosshair leveling kit, and it is the only way to go if you ask me (unless you like throwing Allen wrenches in frustration).

You put your rifle in a secure mount with the scope attached where you want it. I use a Tipton Gun Vise. Then you take the Action Level and place its magnetic base across your receiver rails and move the rifle around until the bubble indicates the rifle is level.

Then you loosen the scope rings, and remove/open your turret/scope covers.

Then you take the Scope Level and place it across the elevation adjustment screw/cap and slowly rotate the scope until the bubble centers. Tighten your scope rings and you're done.

The best $25 you will ever spend on your rifle(s)!

Linky (watch the video for how easy this can be):

http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/w ... evel-Level

·
Registered
73 Posts
I don't know about other scopes but my Leupold's are all "leveled" with a feeler gauge. Once I have the scope/rings mounted I slide the feeler gauge under the scope on the flat area of a Leupold. I keep adding additional thickness gauges until it is tight underneath and then tighten the rings. It works for me and appears to be perfectly leveled.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts