SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK well I have to get a scope for my new sig556 swat. The last time I bought a scope was 10 years ago. Things have gotten a little more complex since then.

I became interested in the Mark AR series. The price seems good, and I know leupold is a good brand. Does anyone have any opinoins on this Leupold series? I was looking at the 4-12 x 40. I like the range 4-12 better than 6-18. The barrel of my 556 is 16" 1:7. What kind of range can I expect with the 4-12 power?

Does anyone have any suggestions? I want to stay under $800 but the Mark AR is about $500.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
...IMO...a 3.5-10...3-12...or 4.5-14 or so would be a very flexable power range for your purposes... you can expect to make accurate hits well past 600 meters with the heavier more ballistically efficient projectiles...

...the Leupold AR series are nice scopes...i would recomend going with the fine duplex...less complicated and you can easily dial in any corrections...

... http://swfa.com/Leupold-4-12x40-Mark-AR ... 44575.aspx

... i suggest going with a Leupold 4.5 X 14 Mark 4 LR/T...

...this is one of Leupold's least expensive "field grade" tactical scopes with a 30mm tube...and an "excellent" value for the money...great optics and excellent internals...this is a very very very good scope !

... http://swfa.com/Leupold-45-14x40-Mark-4 ... P2550.aspx

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You like that Leupold scope dont you Ullie? I have seen you post about it numerous times? I am definitely gonna look into that one. I read your posts all the time and you seem very knowledgable. Do you think that these scopes will ruin the whole "tactical" look to the weapon since they are so long?

I want something that has an ability to engage a target at 500 yards but I want to maintain the tactical look. Any other scopes with a 9 and above magnification that are around 8 inches?

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
bluefin556 said:
You like that Leupold scope dont you Ullie?
...i suggested "that particular scope" because it is within the magnification and price range you set...that is...$800...and worth every penny...it is a true field grade tactical scope...personally...i would go with a Leupold Tactical with an illuminated reticle...but for a couple of hunderd more... i would probably go with a Nightforce 3.5 X-15...but do you want to spend that much ?

bluefin556 said:
Do you think that these scopes will ruin the whole "tactical" look to the weapon since they are so long?
...what is a "tactical look"...if you want some magnification...you're going to have some length...you can choose between the "chicks dig it" factor or hitting your target at range...4.5-14 is a very flexable power range for your 556...good low end magnification and enough high end magnification for out to the practical limits of the cartrage...

bluefin556 said:
I want something that has an ability to engage a target at 500 yards but I want to maintain the tactical look. Any other scopes with a 9 and above magnification that are around 8 inches?
...ya know...you can engage a target with iron sights at 500 yards...or a low power variable...but not as well...especially if the target is small...if you "subjectively" believe that a low power variable looks more "tacticool" ...then get a low power variable...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you purchased from that sight before? I cannot seem to find that scope at that price at any local gun stores. Plus they all try and sell me ACOGS but I dont want a maximum of 4.5 power...I want higher. I got an AK47 for close range shooting, and I would use that rifle over anything to engage a target less than 200 yards. I wanna get out to the 500+ yard range EFFECTIVELY!!! So I guess I will have to sacrifice weight and size for range.....fine. Plus I put the red dot scope I have on the side rail so if I gotta switch for close range I can just spin the rifle sideways....

I think I am going to go with that mark 4 leupold you suggested. Thansk for the help!

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
bluefin556 said:
Have you purchased from that sight before?
...i have purchased more optics from SWFA than i can remember over the years...good people and great pricing...but most important...you get what you order !...no blems or seconds !

·
Registered
289 Posts
Leupold Mk 4 Scopes

I have owned and enjoyed Leupold scopes for over 25 years. However I came across a thread on www.sniperhide.com that was 19 pages long on the decline in quality of the newer Mk 4 scopes over the last few years. Tilted reticles and many other failures during tactical classes. It was really an eye opener to me as my old Vari-x III's have never failed me. These guys on sniper hide seem to be serious long distance shooters. The post are in the Optics section. There have to be literally hundreds of posts about the declining quality. I would take what is said with a grain of salt if there was only an ocassional post but so many makes me wonder if Leupold's new scopes have declined in quality & reliability. :roll:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe bro but look at how much bad stuff is on this forum about our beloved sig556. I dunno. Like I said this has gotten a lot more complicated since i bought my fixed power 10x for my deer rifle 10 years ago

·
Registered
289 Posts
Leupold Mk 4 Scopes

The comments on the Sig 556 are a valid point. However I have never seen so many comments, literally hundreds on the decline of quality of recently produced Mk 4 scope all in one thread. Go to the site yourself and look. It's under the Forum Optics by Terry Cross and yesterday was on the second page. It seems most were switching to S&B, NF Henshold etc because of the many failures encountered. I agree my old Vari-x III's have served me well for many years. The comments only seem to apply to recently produced scopes.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
...my opinion for what it's worth...

...the Leupold tactical series of scopes are "excellent" reasonably priced "field grade" scopes...you can purchase one with the confidence that you're getting the real deal...the Leupold tactical series of scopes are in use worldwide by demanding professionals including elite police units...special forces and the numerous armies...they are durable...reliable...and work as advertised...great scopes !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts