SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm leaving on a 4 month deployment tomorrow and was wondering what exactly I should do with my guns (colt 6920, sig 556 swat, pistol, and shotty). I clean them after each use and keep them stored in a case/bag with dessicant. They were cleaned/lubed with breakfree clp last time I shot.

Do I need to break them out again and put a light layer of oil? Anything else to consider? Should I strip them down at all? I also emptied all my magazines.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I would definantly wipe them down with a good layer of oil. You don't need to "drown" the gun, just leave a film of oil. A dessicant or something to absorb moisture is a good idea if humidity is a concern.
You ought not need to break them down at all; you might want to store them muzzle down so oil doesn't run down any wood parts though.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Aubie said:
So I'm leaving on a 4 month deployment tomorrow and was wondering what exactly I should do with my guns (colt 6920, sig 556 swat, pistol, and shotty). I clean them after each use and keep them stored in a case/bag with dessicant. They were cleaned/lubed with breakfree clp last time I shot.

Do I need to break them out again and put a light layer of oil? Anything else to consider? Should I strip them down at all? I also emptied all my magazines.
...i would wipe down "all" metalic parts...including the inside and outside of the barrel with Breakfree CLP...leaving a slight...but visable film on the surfaces...and do the same with the upper and lower reciever...BCG...FCG...inside and out...and if you are in a humid area use some "fresh" dessicant...it's cheap insurance...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yeah, I'm in the same boat, except I'm leaving for one year, and there's, well, see website for how many firearms I have to store.

My biggest hurdle right now is getting the storing and moving company to agree to inventory and store the weapons in my own safe, and seal the safe so that once it's closed, no one will try to check the serial numbers and such.

But no, everyone wants to be able to verify the contents, so that means I can't seal them in individual bags and oil them thoroughly. Grr...

·
Registered
220 Posts
Stay in touch and thank you in advance for your effort.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Aubie, elnonio, May God Bless and protect you both, and all of our brave men and women in uniform.

Thank you, and your families, for your service. God's speed.

·
Registered
174 Posts
No sweat (well, not yet!) it's hardly a hardship tour. One year in Indonesia, but it means I have to give up my guns and my dog for a year. Oh well, it's all good training.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My deployment isn't nearly as rough as some of the army guys.. I'm a submarine officer so I live the good life! I'm flying to Guam tomorrow and have a little bit before I actually go underway but will be leaving the guns behind. I just hope the Island doesn't tip over while I'm there! (google "hank johnson guam video" if you don't get the joke)

Thanks for all the advice. I'm keeping the guns in my house so humidity shouldn't be a problem, but I did order a fresh batch of desicant for this. Thanks again!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Aubie said:
My deployment isn't nearly as rough as some of the army guys.. I'm a submarine officer so I live the good life! I'm flying to Guam tomorrow and have a little bit before I actually go underway but will be leaving the guns behind. I just hope the Island doesn't tip over while I'm there! (google "hank johnson guam video" if you don't get the joke)

Thanks for all the advice. I'm keeping the guns in my house so humidity shouldn't be a problem, but I did order a fresh batch of desicant for this. Thanks again!
Uh, if the island does tip over, is there a pre-prepared drill for your submarine to help it survive? :lol: :lol:
  • ~~OR ~~

How many times does the claxon sound? :roll:

Seriously....I cannot believe how totally CLUELESS some of our politicians are!!!!!
Hope your deployment goes well!!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hahah good question Tommy

I'll have to run that by the Captain and see what he thinks. Maybe we'll do daily drills just in case!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts