Krebs Custom AK-74: What makes it worth $1300? | SIG Sauer 556 Forum

Krebs Custom AK-74: What makes it worth $1300?

Discussion in 'Assault Rifles, Battle Rifles, and Shotguns' started by Aaron, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Aaron

Aaron New Member

Looking into purchasing a Krebs Custom AK-74 (5.45x39).

I would like to know what Krebs does to their AKs, both internally and externally, that makes them different from the AKs you can grab at the gun show for $400.

I know Krebs uses Russian Saiga hunting rifles as a base to make them as close as possible to the actual Russian AKs built at the Izhmash Arsenal in Izhevsk, Russia.

2. Dice Man

Dice Man New Member

As far as I'm concerned, nothing... I sent them an AK once to do some work. I won't get into the details. They did not do what I asked them to, so I ended up doing it myself. In my opinion, there is not an AK out there made by anyone worth more than $600. I don't know what it is these days that are driving the AK prices through the roof but, they are freaking nutz. From what I have read military versions of the AK threw out the world sell from manufacture to military for less than $100.

3. tacman605

tacman605 New Member

Well yes of course the military rifles cost less, when you buy 50,000 units at a time you get a deal like that.

As with anything else you get what you pay for and AK's are no different. I do not own a Krebs but I own several Rifle Dynamics products from AK's, M4's and Saigas. Average price for the completed projects including the guns started at $1800.

An AK as it sits is a perfectly good rifle. The cheaper versions may have canted sights, rough triggers, sloppy barrel fit and so on but they still go bang everytime. Just as an M4 out of the box is perfectly fine for some others want all the potential they can get.

This is an RD custom 5.56 AK that was built up. This is a true pre ban rifle for those states that require it. The from the custom Bolten Gas Block to the hand fitted Bulgarian Folder it is set up to get the full potential from the rifle and is suppressor compatible.

[​IMG]

This is another custom that started out as a stock MAK-90. Again all custom simply to make it the way I want it as a fighting rifle. This one also has a hand fitted true Russian AK-100 Folder adapted to the stock.

[​IMG]

These are not my Saiga shotguns but simply a shot from the sight but this is what mine looks like.

[​IMG]

A custom rifle is exactly that, custom. Again for some out of the box rifles are fine and do everything they want them to do other times custom is the only way to go.

A Vespa will get you back and forth to work but a Harley is a heck of a lot more fun.

4. ArmsRace

ArmsRace New Member

Yep every since colt and them wanted gun control on the ak's it ended up production costs went down not having to machine as much and prices started going up and its not really a market that likes to lower prices. More like gun pricing raising than gun control.