SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

Should I return because of 2 degree cant?

• Yes

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 6 66.7%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got my Burris AR-332 yesterday. I am very happy with it so far and feel it will be perfect for what I need. There really is a degree of diminishing returns on scopes over $300. I have yet to fire.

Positives:
It was great value for a well built ACOG at $300
Clarity is better than I hoped for and was excellent in low-light and daylight
3x is perfect magnification for what I do (you can easily acquire target at 10 yards, yet still have the ability to be accurate at 150 yards). (Update - I recently hit 10 inch target 4 of 6 shots at 300 yards).
1 year warranty
Was built solid (nitrogen sealed 20x and waterproof to 50 ft, if you want to take rifle scuba diving)
Very light and compact (also looks good)
Lithium battery runs 800 hours
Black reticle is very nice, if no battery
Perfect relief for Sig556, works easily with stock at different lengths
Was just above hooded front sight, which was ghost out already
Doesn't interfere with action like EoTech and others
The red dot was very precise (in fact, I compared to Sig red-dot and the entire donut was smaller than Sig's red dot. Sig claims to be 4MOA but I believe is more like 5MOA, which is 5 feet at 100 yards and will cover the entire target)
Included 2 inch sun shade, covers, mount, and cord to keep me from losing windage caps.
The mount seems very solid, despite what I had read online.
Reticle is perfectly centered (had heard some reviews that was off)

Negatives:
My crosshair was canted slightly. About 2 degrees. (it really doesn't bother me)
The right side of cross hair was slightly off and absorbed by donut.
The ballistic drop compensation is really to small to see (but a nice touch)

Interesting:
I actually think I like the black reticle the best. Maybe I am just old-school. All my friends said I need a lighted reticle, but I don't think I really do. If it is so dark you can't see black reticle, you probably can;t properly identify target and shouldn't be shooting.
It is truly amazing that the AR-332 only costs $50 more than Sig Red-Dot. I would say it is at least twice as good. The sig was worthless past 50 yards, but the AR-332 has nice 3X magnification and much more precise reticle.

Question:
It says "focus" on the ocular end, but I don't know where to twist.
The manual says this allows you to focus reticle and may solve my problem of crosshair blending with donut. Does anyone used AR-332 and know how to focus?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I found this review for your consideration, sounds like it might be just the mount-

Lejeune Marine wrote:

In complete honesty I was hesitant to purchase this optic because of the bad reviews I have heard from other sites. I was worried about the tilted reticle, but just didn't want to drop the ridiculous amount of money for an ACOG. But I wanted a true 3X magnified optic. This optic has been above all expectations, and I have had a lot of well made optics including a lot of real time training and combat with the Trijicon ACOG. If you would like an optic that is comparable with the ACOG as far as function, accuracy and price. Then this is the perfect optic for you. Just to fill you in on some of the bull that I believed before I bought this optic. The tilted reticle might have been a problem for other folks because of the mount. And the mount does have a "Made in China" sticker, but I'm not completely sure if the entire mount is made there. But this optic is capable of caring just about all full size ACOG mounts. I mounted a GG&G mount on mine and have seen an American Defense mounted on another. Also the optic itself has Ballistic Mil Dots, but I have not been able to test in on a 500 yard range to see if they are actually accurate. All in all this is one of the best AR-15 optics I have ever used, and would definitely recommend this optic to anyone with out filling them up with too much bull. Because after having this optic for a little while I'm glad I didn't listen to what others had to say, when they had the experience they had.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

I have to agree that Marine's review. The AR-332 compares very nicely to Trijicon 3x I have used, despite being 1/4 of price.

The 2 degree cant doesn't bother me and I know I won't be shooting past 200 yards, but I will remount and consider using a different mount. 2 degrees is very minor and I had to level gun and use weighted string to be sure it was truly off.

I think his assesment is much closer to my experience, than some of the other reviews that were negative. This is also true for my new Sig556. Alot of bad review but after first 500 rounds I am very happy with new purchase.

DOES ANYONE KNOW ABOUT "FOCUS"

·
Registered
188 Posts
You might want to cross check your optic's cant on a known correct 1913 rail such as a quality AR or other rifle. I noticed the exact same thing with my ACOG on my sig and cross checked it on two other rifles and determined that the actual rail was not to spec. It quite possibly isnt the optic. Sig sent me a new one which I have yet to receive, but I'm hoping the specs are correct. Good luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
mount for the Burris AR-332

I've had my AR-332 on a LaRue 4XDOS and couldn't be more satisfied with the sight and mount.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: mount for the Burris AR-332

rlk said:
I've had my AR-332 on a LaRue 4XDOS and couldn't be more satisfied with the sight and mount.
Do you know how to focus the AR-332?
It says you can turn the ocular end to focus reticle.
I see where it says "< FOCUS >" on the scope, just don't see how to adjust.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Reticle focus on AR-332

Yes sir - pull the flip-up lens cover off. You'll see the knurled ring - this rotates (mine is quite stiff and alot of turn is needed to alter the focus as far as my older, bespeckled eyes can determine).

·
Registered
220 Posts
I ordered mine thru Optics Planet right after Xmas, but it took about 8 weeks to get back in stock. The first time I tried it there was a lot of snow and the green reticle was a complete washout, the red only worked on the highest setting, black worked fine. First 8 shots at 100 were all in the ten ring, I figure they're right that its zero'd at 100. After that I sucked, so I waited till I could try again. Next time was better, no snow, and the optic worked as advertized. I haven't had it out since so I can't tell you about fine tuning or longer distances. The rear adjustment was tight but it did focus fine. My reticle seemed slightly canted until I paid attention to my stance, once I determined I was twisting slightly and adjusted for that it seemed fine.
[/img]

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, I just didn't want to force it. I will use more force on focus knob.

BTW - my gun looks almost identical to yours, just hogue grip.

·
Registered
19 Posts
focus knob

Like I sqay, mine is very stiff. It may work better for you to grip the lens cover edge and use it as additional grip to turn for focus and then reposition the lens cover once you've acheived the focus you need.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, I tried adjust focus and it was incredibly tight. Had to get pliers and cloth to move.

Good news on the reticle. Once I used scope with my presciprtion contacts on, the focus was perfectly crisp. I never knew wearing glasses would affect the reticle so much. So it was all user error on the cross-hair blurring with donut.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Went to the range with a friend to sight in the new scope.

My friend is avid AR-15 buff and builds lots of custom AR's. He was really happy with the Burris AR-332 and especially pleased with the daytime black reticle. He loved the 3x magnifcation and how it worked at 300 yards. Also liked the short-range donut.

He thought the reticle was not canted once we put gun in bench rest, so must have been way I was holding it.

We hit 10 inch target at exactly 300 yards 4 out of 5 times. I don't think I will ever take a shot farther than 300 yards with this gun, so don't need anything more than 3x. Shooting 80% in a 10-inch target at that distance gives me alot of confidence for hunting.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Very pleased with my AR-332. It is a blast to shoot, and very clear. Good accuracy for 3x scope at 100 yards. Below is a pic is for those who may be considering one, and wonder how it looks on the older 556.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Bringing up an old post here, but was wondering, is there any lower profile mount that would work w/ this scope? Im really interested in this scope but it looks like it just sits too high =/
My SIG556 has the new folding stock which is quite a low sitting stock, so bit worried bout cheek weld distance and I read in general its best to have optics as close to muzzle level as possible.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I looked at one in detail at Academy in Austin and decided against getting one. It is a bright optic but the crosshair so to speak is not one I like.

Also the sales guy is a former marine and had reservations about it. He had used a an ACOG in the sandbox.

Nice to meet an honest and knowledgeable person at Academy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts