SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I go to Wholesale Sports in Burlington, WA. to pick three boxes of Hornady TAP 223 REM 75gr. I find them and buy them. $21.99 a box for 20 rounds :eek: . I get home and open one box... huh these look like plain old rounds :shock: . I open another box, shiny chrome goodness of Hornady :D . The third box had the right rounds as well. One out of three were filled with rounds that I don't even have a clue what they are. :( :(

I called the store and they said all ammo sales are final. They also told me if I wanted to come in and ask the manager if there is some thing that can be done :evil: ... but since all ammo sales are finall... WTF!? I spent $22 on a box of something I am never gonna fire because I have no Idea what it is. :cry: :cry:

My point, I'm sure you guys already do this... CHECK YOUR AMMO BEFORE YOU BUY IT!!! OPEN THE BOX!

Has this ever happend to anyone? What did you do?

·
Vendor
825 Posts
All ammo sales are not final. If the contents of the box was not what was labeled on the outside, that is a crime. Check with a lawyer, but I think it is the truth in advertising act, or some such.

Remind them of that, and then test exactly how 'final' this policy is.

If they persist, and you want to have some fun with it, file in small claims court. You can represent yourseld, but since they are a corporation, chances are (depending on state) that they may have to be represented by a lawyer at a few hundred per hour. That ought to get you several boxes of free ammo to drop the case.

Also, try contacting Hornady. I'm sure they will help out. If you can get them a photo of the headstamp, it might help identify what ended up in the box, but I'm confident they will make good and replace what you bought.

Art

·
Registered
123 Posts
+1. I would definitely raise some hell with that store. Take it back and see the manager. If he doesn't take care of you, get loud. If that doesn't work then sue in small claims, you'll win.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
It happened to me once, I bought 600rnds of 12 gauge (6 boxes of 100 rnds)from Big 5 Sports. When I went home and started putting them in my ammo can I opened three and put them in my can but when I opened the 4th box clearly marked the same 12 gauge as the other 5 boxes, inside was not 12 gauge, but 20 gauge. I called them back that night because it was 10 minutes 'til close and I wouldn't have made it in time. The cashier gave me the same "all ammo sales are final" bullshit so I said I would speak to their manager the following day.

I went in the next day and the manager was a dick head and basically said that "how does he know I didn't just change the ammo out at home", hello??? WTF!, I told him he could go fuck himself and I would never shop there again.

I sold the ammo to a guy on a local gun board for what I paid for it so I didn't lose any money out of it, but I did lose my respect for some of these sporting goods stores.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Probably employee theft

One of their people just changed out ammo with cheap stuff and bought cheap box at discount. When I was a kid, I worked security for Bamburger in NJ (Macy's). People would get in stock rooms and change shoes and wear out, clothes, reprice items. I would catch them by noteing as they came in and during day and get them as the checked through the check out process. On a good day I would even find the discard and bring it out as they approached the check out station. If you work retail look at your co-workers, 60% of shoplifting was and probably still is by employees.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It happens..It wasn't the stores fault..either A the manufacturer mislabled the item (probably not, but possible) or B Some turd bag switched out the box for a cheaper one and paid 7.50 for a 20 Hornady rounds (more than likely what happened). One of the reasons that ammo sales are final is for this reason because people would buy ammo put cheap ammo in at and return it. If the clerk wasn't an ammo person they would get away with it. I think SGT.'s point of ALWAYS check your ammo is VERY sound advice and should be observed as sound advice at the very least.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Getting screwed

My story concerns Sierra 52 Mk's. I bought 5 100 round boxes. 1 seem much lighter than the others. Opened the box and there was only 67 projos in the box. I called Sierra and compained. They said they would send me the miising projos but they had very little inventory and would send them out as soon as they could. It's been 3 weeks still no shipment, I will call again tomorrow. It' hard for me to believe Sirra can't come up with 33 lousy bullets. :shock:

·
Registered
264 Posts
As far as the no return policy

I would not want to fire ammo that had been returned for any reason. What about tampering, swap outs and who knows what else. So if the store did take returns, should they dump it? Now if you find a damaged round or primer, I bet they would take it back for safety/liability reasons.

·
Registered
518 Posts
datcha said:
I went in the next day and the manager was a dick head and basically said that "how does he know I didn't just change the ammo out at home", hello??? WTF!, I told him he could go fuck himself and I would never shop there again.
I would've told him that and also that I belong to several internet forums full of potential customers that will know both the name and location of the store so they may avoid it at all costs. I also would let him know that this would also show up in google searches and non-members would be able to read the post. Citysearch and other user review sites would also get my message of how bad this store is run.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Ummm....I'm confused 1st Gen, did you post this reply for the wrong thread or something? I am totally not following. It seems like your reply better fits Geardo's challenge thread. :?: :?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
7art said:
All ammo sales are not final. If the contents of the box was not what was labeled on the outside, that is a crime. Check with a lawyer, but I think it is the truth in advertising act, or some such.

Remind them of that, and then test exactly how 'final' this policy is.

If they persist, and you want to have some fun with it, file in small claims court. You can represent yourseld, but since they are a corporation, chances are (depending on state) that they may have to be represented by a lawyer at a few hundred per hour. That ought to get you several boxes of free ammo to drop the case.

Also, try contacting Hornady. I'm sure they will help out. If you can get them a photo of the headstamp, it might help identify what ended up in the box, but I'm confident they will make good and replace what you bought.

Art
This is definitely the route I would be taking. The contents of the box were not what was listed on the label. That's illegal.

·
Vendor
825 Posts
Zeus,

I expect these are the 75 gr rounds that Geardo will be shooting in his challenge, so the threads are linked on some level of existential continuum in the ether ...

Art

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
He said PMC 55gr initially I thought. I would use the 75gr myself if it were me. Good luck either way :wink:

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
...hey geardo

...i wouldn't loose any sleep over it...shit happens...as i'm sure you know...what i would do is the next time i was in the store...i would bring my reciept and the box in question...speak to the firearms section manager first and see what happens...then if that doesn't help...i would ask/insist to speak with the "store director" and explain the situation to him politely...i'm guessing he'll change it out for you...if not...ask him for the corporate number for the "office of the president"...if he refuses...just tell him you'll mention it when you speak with corporate...smile and walk away...

...it's been my life's experience that it's all in "your approach"...if you have a legimate issue and behave approprately...it will usually be resolved...the store director / manager has the latitude to make these types of issues right...it's in his job discription... :lol:

...life is too short to agonize over a box of ammo... :wink:

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here is an email I just got from the store manager...

"I wanted to thank you for letting me know about the situation with the TAP ammo. I do apologize for the mix up on that. I would be happy to get you satisfied and taken care of. If you could, the next time you are in the area, would you bring the box in and I will swap you out on the ammo purchased. I do apologize and want to make sure that you are taken care of. I am sorry again for the mix up and hope we can win your business back."

I'll tell you what, they sure got my buisness back. I'm going to get over, and finish it. And from now I will always check my ammo!

All Smiles :D :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts