SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
This is my first post and I wish it was to say something good. I have a concern that I'd like to present to you all, in hopes of some advice/guidance. I went to a local shop to purchase a Sig 556 SWAT before the rebate expired. I was told that they were out of stock and one could be had, only it would be after the rebate expired. I passed. I went back a few days after the rebate expired and the sales guy said HE had a Sig 556 SWAT on hold for himself, but decided to sell it. He tried very hard to get me to buy it. I asked if the $300 rebate would be applied to the price and he said no. Here is the issue, he stated he had the rifle on hold for himself long before the rebate expired. Now, if I buy this rifle he will get the $300 rebate and I will get a fine rifle at retail. Somehow that doesn't seem right to me. I look at this guy differently since this went down. As a matter of fact, I don't trust him at all. My question to you fine folks is, "I'm I being nit-picky about this sale or I'm I right being suspicious of this guy and his sales practice?"

·
Registered
174 Posts
If they give you a copy of the yellow form the point is moot. Ask if they will give it to you. That's your proof to SIG that you are the original buyer of said rifle.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
elnonio, what will the yellow form tell me? I'd love to get the rebate, but since it's past the date. I don't want to buy this rifle and he gets the $300 when it could be applied to my purchase.(I hope that makes sense.) I want to go today and purchase the rifle. I may just end up going somewhere else because I feel like the guy is trying to get over on me. I will keep you posted on what happens.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
xpdchief, if that's the case then all is well. I would liked to get it then, but that's the past. I guess I just don't like the way the guy handled the potential sale.

·
Registered
174 Posts
ddnuts said:
elnonio, what will the yellow form tell me? I'd love to get the rebate, but since it's past the date. I don't want to buy this rifle and he gets the $300 when it could be applied to my purchase.(I hope that makes sense.) I want to go today and purchase the rifle. I may just end up going somewhere else because I feel like the guy is trying to get over on me. I will keep you posted on what happens.
I don't keep up with the rebate deal. Since it's past the deadline, then he won't get the money either unless the dealer falsifies documents. When you register the rifle with SIG they would get caught, anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
xpdchief said:
Am I missing something. As far as I know the rebate period is over, neither one of you will be getting a rebate.
ddnuts said:
xpdchief, if that's the case then all is well. I would liked to get it then, but that's the past. I guess I just don't like the way the guy handled the potential sale.
...could it be he changed his mind ?...wasn't able to come up with the money ?...if you want a 556...just go out there and get the best deal you can and buy one ! ...from somebody else if that will make you feel better...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I'm sure he just caught me on my man-period. Lol I am going to get one. Here is my next question. What model is on top of the site?

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
...an older SWAT model...

...this is what i would do...i would get the base model...ie...the cheapest one you can find...that would be a standard classic model if buying one new...without all the accessories...such as the holo sight and diopter sights etc...and then you can spend the money you save on setting her up the way your want...with quality sights and/or optics...

...iIMO...if you absolutely want the SWAT type rails on her...you're better off buying the base model and going with the Troy or Samson RAS...

·
Registered
174 Posts
ullie said:
...an older SWAT model...

...this is what i would do...i would get the base model...ie...the cheapest one you can find...that would be a standard classic model if buying one new...without all the accessories...such as the holo sight and diopter sights etc...and then you can spend the money you save on setting her up the way your want...with quality sights and/or optics...

...iIMO...if you absolutely want the SWAT type rails on her...you're better off buying the base model and going with the Troy or Samson RAS...
I tend to agree. While I prefer the cut/style of the new classic receiver, I think you are going to have better options going with the older receiver. Do they make/sell the older style, though?

I will still use the Sig diopter and red dot on the 522, but I don't think it's good value for the 556.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'd be very, very careful if you decide to buy that particular rifle from your fickle salesman. Is he saying you will be the original owner of the rifle?

I would be concerned if he has already bought it, tries to file and collect the rebate, and then resells it you you with no rebate. Not only would you not get the rebate (and he would), you will not have a valid warranty on the rifle either. Here's why -- SIG Sauer warranties are expressly "non-transferable" -- only the original purchaser of the gun is covered by the warranty -- al least that is what it said the last time I read their lifetime warranty certification....

I think your instincts served you well -- I think this was an attempted hustle. I am not sure of all the facts, but that "deal" smells rotten to me.

If he is trying to do what I think he might be, he would be putting himself in a position to be accused of defrauding SIG Sauer. He could be getting himself in more legal trouble than he can possibly imagine.... I can think of two laws (one Federal, one state) he could be at risk of violating, right off the top of my head. Walk away...better yet, run!

·
Vendor
825 Posts
I agree this smells fishy. When you own a gun store, you get things at cost in the first place, so the only reason to hold it is because he wanted it at cost, plus he wanted the rebate. When an owner is willing to turn away a customer (who pays his profit and salary) because he wants a stock item that badly, then just decides he doesn't want it .... ummmm, no.

On the bright side, you are now in the strong position from a negotiating point of view. You are about to walk away from the deal anyhow, so you have nothing to lose by making outrageous demands. If he says 'no', you have not lost anything. If he says 'yes', the outrageous suddenly became rageous!

Here is the position I would take: his indecision cost you $300, so if he discounts the rifle $300 to you out of his margin, you'll take it, otehrwise you walk. If he wants to scam the rebate, he can discount to you and still be ahead by the margin. If he says no, he knows that there is a limited time frame to send in his receipt to get the rebate, so he might not get another sale soon enough...

The yellow form is not relevant to anything. SIG has no authority to check this guy's log books, and I'm not even sure SIG would catch it internally. Most rebates in industry are farmed out to outside vendors to administer, so it is very likely the SIG warranty database is not cross matched against the rebate database to see if one serial number was registered by one person, and rebated by another.

Based on your story, I'd shop around. It's not like SIG prices are going to go up, so take your time and you will likely find a better deal than this guy is trying to pull.

The other option is to write down the serial number, then call SIG, and ask them if this rifle still qualifies for warranty registration as a new gun, because you suspect someone else claimed the rebate. It might not be nice, but if he is trying to screw you, he deserves it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
7art said:
The yellow form is not relevant to anything
Did you actually read the rebate form? Originally, all they would accept was the 4473 copy as proof of purchase and ser # (presumably).

Now they also accept a letter from the gun store, which of course this dealer may not have provided if the intent was to defraud SIG and the buyer.

·
Vendor
825 Posts
You have a point. If you ask for the form, telling him you are going to send it in anyhow, just to see if they honor it late, he might balk, because he will know SIG will get a double application.

But then again, if you distrust the guy enough to play the games, it's probably better you walk away in the first place.

Art

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ulle,
I want the Swat model. So, I will look around for a Classic and add the rails and sights that I want.

·
Registered
518 Posts
It seems to me that since he is a dealer, he could get another one shipped in and sell the one he had on hold. Why would someone not sell product to make a profit when they could easily get a replacement for their personal use?

I agree, it sounds fishy especially since he held the gun until after the rebate was over. It sounds like he would have defrauded you not SIG; he might be the original individual purchaser and collected the rebate and is trying to pass off a technically used gun as new to an unsuspecting customer.

Then again, he might have just changed his mind about it and the timing seems sinister. I still lean towards something not right, though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
here's a suggestion:

I saw they had the Classic SWAT on sale over at www.slingpoint.com for 1599$. Now that's a hell of a deal and you won't really be missing the 300$ rebate so badly.

Not a plug but I bought my Patrol SWAT there from Scott and they were awesome.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
...ddnuts

...i would "only" purchase your 556 from a dealer with a store front operation...this way you can field strip her and carefully examine her...it has been my experience that most dealers will break any gun down for you for inspection...if the dealer doesn't or won't let you do this...walk away...

... http://www.sigarms556.com/viewtopic.php?t=3606

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
ddnuts said:
Ulle,
I want the Swat model. So, I will look around for a Classic and add the rails and sights that I want.
...that's exactly what i would do...why pay extra for questionable accessories...this way you'll be able to set her up your way...with a solid RAS from Troy or Samson and a set of good quality irons...

·
Registered
119 Posts
sorry for the late reply...

been out of touch for a while. I had my right knee replaced on 1/12 and on 3/26 I had my left knee replaced.

Yes, it hurts; thanks for pain medications! Since I've been unable to work and still have the "buy a new gun bug" I've been trading some of my guns for new ones.

I don't know the relationship you have with the gunshop but I assume you say the sales person, meaning not the owner. I'd call the owner and tell him what transpired with the "deal" and ask him if he would make it right for you; otherwise I'd shop somewhere else. My gunshop and I have a great relationship; I find a gun I want - like a 522 or one of the Suomi 9mm semi-auto carbines and they will order one in whether I buy it or not.
The deal talked about in this discussion? I'd never walk into that store again if they tried something like that to me; amazing; it sounds like bait and switch has made it to a gun shop. I like the idea of getting the serial number, contacting SigSauer, and seeing if the gun has been enrolled in the warranty program.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts