SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've thought it would be cool for a long time to have the "entire" family of 550 rifles. Sadly due to import restrictions that isn't really an option for a civilian.

Now I have a Sig 556 which is about an inch off from the Sig 551. It might be a bit more than that, but its close enough to call it even for evens sake.

And I have a Sig 556 Patrol, which, with the right paperwork sent to our lovely federal agency, could be chopped to mimic the Sig 552/553 commando. Its the 553 just as an FYI but everyone immediately thinks 552. No biggie, the external difference is the charging handle. So thats not too far off from possible. Mine has a quad rail, which the 553 comes with, but I like the Swiss forend look of the 552. I just found them today online.

But the 550 has eluded me. Don't get me wrong, Sig has released their DMR rifle. Which has a 21" barrel, but they took the love from the gun. It doesn't look or feel like a 550. Well today I also discovered what I should have already realized, and that is the 556 and the 55X family are compatible. Including gas systems and barrels. I knew that. Only never thought about applying that to the 550. Well today I found CO GUN SALES imports the 3 pieces needed to take a Sig 556 and turn it into a Sig 550 that uses AR/M16 mags.

Now due to the price its a bit prohibitive (just under a grand for the necessary parts). Read this as, "it will happen, just not today". Or tommorow. I hope for around Christmas or New Years.

Sorry, I just had to share my geek'd'ness.

Pictures to Illustrate:
The Swiss Family:

We all know the 550 on top, the 551LB (designed for use with Bayonets and Rifle Grenades), the 551 and the 552/553.

Here is the conversion potential of the 556.

A 556 converted to 550 - Pic Property of Co Gun Sales.

556 converted to 551 - Image Courtesy of BullyForYou

556 Patrol/Pistol converted to 552/553 Commando - Image Courtesy of Accomplice

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
heh. Put me in my OWN will! ;) I've already got 2 rifles. Need to SBR one. Need a 3rd rifle to inundate with Swiss parts. Then we get pricey with glass.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts