SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

How to remove stubborn/stuck firing pin from bolt head?

26K views 54 replies 25 participants last post by  rookieshooter 
#1 ·
I removed the retainer pin from the bolt head and can't get the firing pin free (Note: First time I've tried to remove the firing pin). It backs out about 1/4", but then seems to have some resistance and don't want to pry/force it without some better idea of what is going on. Tried to rotate the pin a few degrees -- all the way though 360, but still does not release from the bolt head. No failures to fire up to this point.

Read the owner's and armorer's guides, and can't find anything I've missed.

Anyone have suggestions on how to attack this issue?

#52 ·
FYI, Called Sig Cust Svc.

He said it is an issue if retainig pin is hard to remove, after firing the gun at leat 100 rounds. Issued me a return label for the Whole gun (by email) within 3 min. He did say to keep shooting it until, I was able to ship it back. Quoted a 3-4 week turn around time.

They want the whole gun, not just the bolt.

#53 ·
BTW, my pin was impossible to push out with a punch by hand.

cciman said:
FYI, Called Sig Cust Svc.

He said it is an issue if retainig pin is hard to remove, after firing the gun at leat 100 rounds. Issued me a return label for the Whole gun (by email) within 3 min. He did say to keep shooting it until, I was able to ship it back. Quoted a 3-4 week turn around time.

They want the whole gun, not just the bolt.

#54 ·
I just recently removed my firing pin for the first time since I bought the rifle, 08 and about 3000+ rounds later. It showed no wear, was completely clean and the retaining pin nearly fell out when I compressed the firing pin spring. Glad it wasn't the problem it has been for some.

#55 ·
Got my Sig 556 Swat recently. Haven't been able to get the firing pin to move like everyone else here. But I'm not going to worry too much about it for now. Read somewhere that you can fire 15,000 rounds without ever cleaning it out. So, I'll shoot and enjoy my Sig for a couple of months before I start hassling Sig customer service.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.