SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts
KuroNeko said:
I'd call customer service and tell them you cant get the pin out, and maybe end up sending them the bolt.
...i would send them the entire rifle so that if they do need to switch out the bolts...they can verify headspacing...just to be on the safe side...

...see my previous post...

I had this problem with a 556 purchased last month. The firing pin retaining stud was completely stuck. The only way were able to remove it was to lock the bolt head into a C-clamp, have one person hold onto the bolt head, and have the other hammer the stud out with a brass punch. It was almost as much of a pain to replace it.

I contacted Sig, and they had me just send the bolt head in. Two weeks later, I got a package back from them, and they had just completely replaced the bolt head. I was able to remove the stud on this completely unlubricated bolt head by hand without any difficulty. I've since had no problems.

Got my rifle last July, just stripped the pin out tonight w/little effort. This is about the 4th time I've cleaned it, very little residue.

Well, at least I'm not the only one with this issue. Just picked up my rifle this weekend and was going through an initial breakdown/familiarization and couldn't get that dang pin out to save my life! I'll be calling sig tomorrow to see about getting the bolt replaced/repaired. Kind of frustrating having not had the opportunity to fire a single round and sending away for repairs already. Hopefully just a small bump in the road and smooth sailing from here on out!

The 4.25" Irwin Quick-Grip makes compression of the firing pin during assembly and dis-assembly much easier.
I'ts just wide enough to accommodate the uncompressed spring and firing pin after removal of retaining stud.

bolt FINALLY came via ups today. SIG simply replaced my old bolt with a new one, seems to be their answer for a stuck pin.....can't complain too much because the new pin slides out effortlessly and i can finally get some range time in. looks like someone i know is going to poke some very expensive holes in perfectly good paper! :p

Im having this problem too, it seems to be a popular one. seems that they test fire, grease, and then stock the rifles in their warehouse, and just leave them there till someone buys them. all the while that grease just cakes. but even then, i dont know. ive put some serious muscle behind this thing and even had someone help me and that retainer pin just doesnt want to pop out. I refuse to take a bench or vice grip to it, cause i will not have one in the field when i am field stripping this thing, so i called Sig and they are shooting me an email with a UPS label so i can send the bolt in. kinda sucks that i havent even shot this thing but w/e. i rather have everything working right.

Also my flash supressor is stuck on the threading of the barrel. seem like they coat everything with locktite when they grease...but thats a whole another thread.

Just took apart my new 556 classic swat for the initial cleaning, the pin did not want to come out using gentle persuasion. I guess a vice and a punch is the way to go. I left it in for now.... :roll:

4 out of 5 of my 556s have the same issue with the retaining pin. Fortunately for me, on the very first one (a 556 pistol), the retaining pin came right out with just a minor push, so I knew how it should work before I got the ones that are very tight. I had also seen a number of posts in various places regarding this issue, so I was aware of it before I actually encountered it myself.

What I have had to do is to hold the bolt head in my left hand with my middle and ring fingers sticking out. While pushing down the bolt head to compress the spring, I hold a small (1/8" I think) punch in the middle/ring fingers so it is centered on the retaining pin and tap it with a small mallet. Early on, I actually had to hit the punch pretty solid to get the pin started moving out. It is a little awkward to do this, but I've gotten pretty good at it. I really like the idea of compressing the spring in a vise as mentioned above, I think it would make it a lot easier with an extra hand free. For the most part, as I've cleaned the weapons and removed this pin over time, it has become easier. However, on none of the 4 can it yet be removed by simply pushing.

When replacing the pin after cleaning, I gently tap it in with a brass/plastic mallet while pushing down to compress the spring. Occasionally, I have to use the punch as described above to make sure the retaining is perfectly centered in the bolt.

I'm really not sure why these are made to such close tolerances. If I understand it correctly, this pin will always be "locked" into the bolt by the walls of the bolt carrier after it is assembled. So it doesn't seem like it needs to be that tight. As long as the pin isn't so loose that it falls right out on the floor when the bolt is completely removed from the carrier, it should be fine. I guess if it was really that loose, it might also move and score the inside of the bolt carrier during operation. Anyhow, it seems to be a pretty common issue.

FYI, Called Sig Cust Svc.

He said it is an issue if retainig pin is hard to remove, after firing the gun at leat 100 rounds. Issued me a return label for the Whole gun (by email) within 3 min. He did say to keep shooting it until, I was able to ship it back. Quoted a 3-4 week turn around time.

They want the whole gun, not just the bolt.

BTW, my pin was impossible to push out with a punch by hand.

cciman said:
FYI, Called Sig Cust Svc.

He said it is an issue if retainig pin is hard to remove, after firing the gun at leat 100 rounds. Issued me a return label for the Whole gun (by email) within 3 min. He did say to keep shooting it until, I was able to ship it back. Quoted a 3-4 week turn around time.

They want the whole gun, not just the bolt.

I just recently removed my firing pin for the first time since I bought the rifle, 08 and about 3000+ rounds later. It showed no wear, was completely clean and the retaining pin nearly fell out when I compressed the firing pin spring. Glad it wasn't the problem it has been for some.

Got my Sig 556 Swat recently. Haven't been able to get the firing pin to move like everyone else here. But I'm not going to worry too much about it for now. Read somewhere that you can fire 15,000 rounds without ever cleaning it out. So, I'll shoot and enjoy my Sig for a couple of months before I start hassling Sig customer service.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.