SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts
Called Sig today. Cust svc had no idea what I should do next. So, gotta send the bolt back to Sig. Hopefully they can find a quick fix or better yet, just replace the whole damn thing so I don't have to deal with this again. Brand new, never fired, and not even a week old. Not happy.....

bonehead said:
Called Sig today. Cust svc had no idea what I should do next. So, gotta send the bolt back to Sig. Hopefully they can find a quick fix or better yet, just replace the whole damn thing so I don't have to deal with this again. Brand new, never fired, and not even a week old. Not happy.....
Drag. They had you just send the bolt back and not the whole rifle? Hope it all gets worked out quick for you.

KuroNeko said:
bonehead said:
Drag. They had you just send the bolt back and not the whole rifle? Hope it all gets worked out quick for you.
Just the bolt. I'd REALLY be pissed if I had to send back the whole rifle.

bonehead said:
KuroNeko said:
bonehead said:
Just the bolt. I'd REALLY be pissed if I had to send back the whole rifle.
i've got the exact same problem as you do, bonehead. picked up a 556 classic a couple of weeks ago and the retaining pin was a real bitch to get out. that thing is in there so tight. i ended up putting the bolt in a vice and taking a brass punch to the pin. it came out and was equally as hard to get back in there. the gun is running flawlessly, though. i've got about 500 rounds through it so far with no problems whatsoever.

Got my bolt back from Sig yesterday. Notes from the gunsmith said "compressed firing pin and used punch to remove retaining pin from bolt" (paraphrasing). So, I figured he somehow got it loose and it shouldn't be a problem.....still stuck. WTF??? I watched restoring's disassembly vid and it doesn't look like any effort at all is required to remove that thing. There's something still horribly wrong with this. What I haven't tried yet is rotating the pin as mentioned in a earlier post. I'll try that later and see what happens.

Holy crap. I finally got the stupid retaining stud out. Got a metal punch and tried one last time to get it out myself. No go. Finally had to resort to asking my wife for help :oops:

I compressed the firing pin, held the punch, while she tapped at it. Miracle, it came loose. Got to clean all the white preservative goo off the pin and inside the bolt. Getting the stud back in was not any easier. Doesn't look like I'll be taking that thing down for every cleaning... :roll:

Firing Pin Stud

Picked up a new 556 SCM this week and had the same problem with a stuck stud. Was able to knock it out with a punch but lost the stud in the process. Called Sig and had to beg for a new one. Was told initially that they had none in stock. I don't know why this pin has to be a tight fit. I'm thinking of just cutting down a hardened 1/8"pin to fit and rounding the ends. It would "float" in the bolt hole but would still hold the firing pin in position. Since the bolt is enclosed in the bolt carrier, is there any way for the pin to come free? If this works, it makes the whole takedown process a lot easier and replacements would be simple. Any comments?

How ironic, I was cleaning my 556 today and was struggling with this pin, I took it out and put it back several times to try to wear it in a bit (along with generous doses of CLP.)

I would hate to have to remove/replace that pin in the field.

hathcocked said:
My pin is very tough to get out as well. I take the pressure off by clamping it in a vice then tap it out. It's one of those jobs where you wish you had an extra hand. :lol:
Just to make sure...

You are COMPRESSING the firing pin/spring while trying to remove the pin?...place rear of bolt against a hard surface and push the firing pin inward while depressing the pin with a punch...pin drops out (clicks out...is more like it...)

Draco556 said:
hathcocked said:
My pin is very tough to get out as well. I take the pressure off by clamping it in a vice then tap it out. It's one of those jobs where you wish you had an extra hand. :lol:
Just to make sure...

You are COMPRESSING the firing pin/spring while trying to remove the pin?...place rear of bolt against a hard surface and push the firing pin inward while depressing the pin with a punch...pin drops out (clicks out...is more like it...)
Yep I am fully aware of how to field strip the rifle and how the firing pin is supposed to come out. The relationship of the size of pin to the bolt is just bad on some rifle's.

bonehead said:
I need to call them about mine. It is impossible to remove and what's more, there is swaging from either the bolt shaft or the retaining pin from what looks like trying to force an object through a too small hole. I e-mailed SIG (w/ pics) and got no reply but I went ahead and shot it the first weekend after I got it. After that, and getting my ACOG to put every round through bull's eye, I was reluctant to call them since they might ask me to send the whole rifle back. The pin is still stuck but I'll call them tomorrow since it looks like they'll only ask for the bolt.

Muad'dib said:
bonehead said:
I need to call them about mine. It is impossible to remove and what's more, there is swaging from either the bolt shaft or the retaining pin from what looks like trying to force an object through a too small hole. I e-mailed SIG (w/ pics) and got no reply but I went ahead and shot it the first weekend after I got it. After that, and getting my ACOG to put every round through bull's eye, I was reluctant to call them since they might ask me to send the whole rifle back. The pin is still stuck but I'll call them tomorrow since it looks like they'll only ask for the bolt.
You only need to send in the bolt. That's what I had to do.

Firing pin stud

I received my firing pin stud from Sig Sauer today and also found the stud that I thought I lost when I knocked it out with a punch. The stud is shaped like a dumbbell with a narrower center than the "shoulders". I can see now why a straight pin replacement would probably not work since the narrower center allows more forward movement of the firing pin. Both of these studs are very tight fits, however. Guess that I will just be careful when I have to free the firing pin next time.

To those of you who have been owners for longer, how long does it take before the fact that the pin refuses to come loose becomes an issue? I did the primary cleaning on the weapon before the first trip on the range, then one afterward. On both occasions, my retainer pin was in the same condition--discussed in another thread, for that matter. I am wondering how many rounds I can give it to loosen up without running the risk of fouling inhibiting function. If it hasn't decided to straighten up and fly right by that point, I would want to go ahead and hand the matter over to customer service.

Thanks,
Scott

I'd call customer service and tell them you cant get the pin out, and maybe end up sending them the bolt. Worst case scenario, better to let them bend the firing pin punching out the retaining pin than you doing it, if that's why it's binding and not just a really tight fit.

As far as how many rounds, probably more than you'd think since my bolt doesn't get very dirty at all after close to 200rounds. I'd think the worse problem would be if the firing pin spring is caught in the tunnel and fails unexpectedly.

ullie said:
Aubie said:
I talked with customer service and they sent me a shipping label to send the bolt head back. What do you mean by headspacing? All I'm replacing is the bolt head and not the entire bolt assembly.
...headspace is defined as the linier distance from the breach face to some point on the chamber that stops the foward movement of the cartrage...usually the shoulder of the case against the shoulder of the chamber in assualt rifles...this distance is a parameter including a minimum and maximum allowable distance for the safe operation of the weapon..for example...if the headspace is longer than the maximum allowable distance you may have case head seperation...if it is shorter than the minimum allowable distance you may create an overpressure condition when the cartrage is fired...

...whenever you change out a bolt...you may affect the headspace...unless the replacement bolt is virtually identical demensionally as the one being replaced and within the print tollerances...usually when replacing a "new" bolt with another "new" bolt you will not have any issues...as long as the replacement bolt is demensionally within the print tollerances...this also assumes that the locking area on a "new" rifle is demensionally within it's print tollerance...it doesn't hurt thought to verify that you are within the defined headspace parameters in the eventuality that one component or both are out of spec...or you have an extreame case of tollerance stacking...just to be on the safe side...

...on weapons that are "not new."..and when the components are starting to wear...you "must" check the headspace to verify that you are within the safe limits when changing them out...it is also prudent to check the weapon's headspace every several thousand rounds...because as the weapon is fired and incures wear the headspace usually increases...at some point it may become excessive and render the weapon unsafe to fire...

...not knowing at this point the exact cause of your issue...is it the bolt...the stud...both ? etc...and what is Sig going to do to correct it...possibly replace the entire bolt ? I would ship them the entire rifle with a notation that "if they should replace the bolt to verify the headspace"...i would have to guess that they would so this anyway if replacing the bolt...not doing so would be negligent IMO...and in order to do this...they will need the entire rifle...at least the entire upper reciever including the entire bolt carrier group...

...i suggest you call Sig and have them send you a return shipping lable for the entire rifle...and clearly state that you are requesting that they verify the headspace if they replace your bolt...i can't immagine them not doing this...and keep a copy for your records...
... http://www.sigarms556.com/viewtopic.php?t=8350

...just a FYI concerning exchanging bolts...

...the firing pin stud should come out relatively easily...you do need to depress the firing pin though as per manual...try tapping it "slightly" with a punch while someone is holding the bolt assembly with the firing pin depressed...the stud can be stubborn sometimes...but that is the exception...you can also try heating everything up a little and use some CLP...just very hot to the tough...don't overdo it...

21 - 40 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.