SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I clamped (using a big vise) on the bottom front tabs as they seem to be the most rigid piece in the receiver and tried to turn the barrel countercheck wise and the thing will not budge at all. The tabs started to bend some and that's when I quit. Any tips would be welcome. Thanks.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Does anyone still have the 55x receiver vise/jig that I can purchase or borrow? Thanks.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tromix has discontinued the fixture. Does anyone have a 556 upper receiver vise that I can rent or borrow. I pay shipping both ways. Thanks.

Marco

·
Registered
32 Posts
Tromix has discontinued the fixture. Does anyone have a 556 upper receiver vise that I can rent or borrow. I pay shipping both ways. Thanks.

Marco
Who told you they discontinued them? It is still on their website for 45.00 dollars. A friend got one two weeks ago from them.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just exchanged emails with Tony and he stated that all Sig lines have been discontinued.

Marco,

All Sig556 product lines have been discontinued. There is no remaining inventory.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I reiterate my plea, if anyone has a Sig 55x upper receiver vise I can borrow, please PM me. Thanks.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Bosley,

I saw this too, thanks for the relay. Was a bit skeptical as the 522 barrel is easier to remove than the 556 or 551 A1. I wasn't sure the felt will hold the receiver firmly once you need to give the barrel a good yank. The 556/551 barrel threads also has loctite (or something similar) and requires a lot of heat before it budges. I just removed a barrel from a cut trunnion. I did get a reply from one of the members here who has one of the vise blocks and he's willing to lend me his. Thanks again.

marco

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone still have the 55x receiver vise/jig that I can purchase or borrow? Thanks.
So I reiterate my plea, if anyone has a Sig 55x upper receiver vise I can borrow, please PM me. Thanks.
Were you able to find someone to loan you the VICE jig? I’m trying to find someone currently. Could you forward me any ones information that responded to you?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Time for us to use 'field expedient methods/tooling' to do what we need to have done. Thinking man's stuff.
The more surface area that's in contact with the jig, the more the force will be spread out, the less likely to deform the clamped item.
Heat is also good as is a 'hit' which imparts a shock to it.
If none is appealing to you, give it to a local gunsmith or metal fab shop to do it for you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts