SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to do some cleaning and repositioning of various rifles and other stuff in my gunsafe today. In order to do this, I took out several rifles -- including a quite new Sig 556 Patrol -- and leaned them against a wall.
A few minutes after I heard the umistakable clatter of one rifle falling against another....
An M-1 Carbine I had inherited from my father had slid over and fallen -- into the Sig 556!
Argh! It scratched the bluing off in a couple of small areas ... but the shiny metal surface glared at me.
After kicking myself ... some cold blue retouch has pretty much taken care of the problem
**BUT I HATE IT WHEN THAT HAPPENS!** :oops:

Oh. The carbine came through unscathed ...not that I care...it has a few dings from Korea and besides, in a old military warhorse, that's character.

Not that this was a horrid tragedy ... however ... I was in self-flagellation mode there for a moment... :)

So ... be careful with those $1300 dollar rifles!!! :lol:

·
Registered
136 Posts
I hate that. It's probably happened to most of us at one time or another

·
Registered
226 Posts
When shooting prone recently I left my 556, with a lot invested into it, resting on the bags while i took a break while the wind was gusting. Gusty wind, tall skinny rifle to catch the wind, and my 556 got blown into a bunch of rocks. Scope rings and rifle are all dinged up, those were the first dings on the scope, well I guess its officially broken in now. The rifle has plenty of scratches.

I dont worry about them. As long as they don't affect function or performance.

My favorite thing about having flash hider on the end is I don't have to worry about beating the crown up on rocks.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Had my M1A on a gun rack on the front of my father-in-law's 4-wheeler and an exposed screw gouged the shiggity out of the stock and magazine----I was pissed for a few minutes, but then I realized I didn't really care about the damage to the synthetic stock, since I don't believe in ever selling a firearm. Sucks that some of the phosphate got scratched off of a CMI magazine, but oh well.

I'd still be pissed if it was a walnut stock, though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think I can top that. When I first got my SR9TC (HK), I tried to remove the
buttstock with the rifle cocked back, this places all of the recoil spring
tension on the buttstock. The receiver pins, as you can imagine, where very
difficult to drive out. When the second one came out, the upper receiver
went flying and hit the car and then the floor in the garage, denting the front
sight. The only saving graces are 1)damage is limited to the front sight and
2)I did not have a scope on the gun. At the time (~1999) it was a $2750 gun.

·
Registered
40 Posts
While at the range the other day, because of long grass, I was having difficulty finding my brass after firing. I pulled out a camera tripod and clamped a piece of cardboard to it and adjusted its position. It worked great until I got up to sight down my spotting scope. Just then a gust of wind knocked the tripod into my gun. I watched as the gun tumbled to the awaiting concrete below. Just then the lawn mower came to mow the range. My sig had fallen onto the bell of the scope but everything looked pretty good except for the scope. After inspection I reloaded and fired. It was shooting about 3 feet high. I was able to adjust the scope to get back on target but I was still concerned. While cleaning the gun I found that the picatinny rail had lifted off of the receiver in the center. The force had actually destroyed the center insert that the rail is bolted to. The gun in now in a box ready to send back to Sig. I sure hope they have a good solution.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Forced my BWTAC 9mm into a too small gun locker...scratch on the slide! I was pissed because I knew better. However, 5-6 months later after casual periodic maintanence I noticed there was no longer a visible scratch! I will not repeat my folly...honest.

·
Registered
306 Posts
my sig 556 has battle scars and shes proud to show them off like any other assault rifle!

...and shes so clean I could eat off her :lol:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Am I the only one here who could care less about scratches and other cosmetic flaws? I don't worry about runs/tears/scratches/etc. in my other tools either as long as performance/reliability aren't affected.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It wasn't my desire to start a pissing contest.
As I said, the scratches have been dealt with.
I was actually just venting a bit after doing something that made me feels stupid.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts