SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I damage something, how do I remove the quadrail handguards? It's the non-connected one (obviously, I think). I removed the front end, took out the bolt and pulled back on the rail to get the bottom out of the front end lug. Should I try to get the top half out first or the bottom half, and is there a certain order? Should I try to pry the chamber end first or the front end first?

Going to replace the Quadrail with 556 HGs.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Seperate the lower and upper receivers. Pull the lower half of the lower hand guard back and then down. Should seperate easily.

·
Registered
85 Posts
It's not much, but it's part of the 'owner's manual' technically, and for some reason was not included with my swat rifles. But it's better than nothing, by a whisker.

http://www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/CmsContent/documents/OwnerManual/QUADRAILINSTALLATION.pdf

Essentially it's just a little reassurance that you're on the right track.

I can't speak to any others, but boy my quad rails are tight. The lower is almost too close at the top to fit over the upper without prying it open. It's a struggle on both the 556 and the 522.

Fortunately it won't need to come apart very often, but stll it would be nice if the uppr had a slight ramp on the landing to help get the clamshell part open. I think it will pretty easy to scratch up the finish if one isn't careful. But it should loosen up with time.

Cheers~

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, last night before bed I was prying the top and bottom (but not very hard) to try and get them out. This morning I read the forum and it took 4 seconds to remove them.

I swapped out the Rail for the plastic handguards and put the rail on my 556.....wow, it gained weight! I need to get my 551 stock/hg set and get my 522 setup just like my 556 for cheap plinking and learning the 556 platform.

ETA: here's how they're both setup now, I did some swapping of furniture and sights. They'll both get Sig Swiss stocks and plastic handguards and aurora diopters....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts