SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

Do you think about home invasions?

• Yes we have prepared

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thats why we have 911 (if I can get to the phone)

• Never happen to us

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Home invasions are becoming common here in Tucson, usualy drug related. But since we have a likely drug house next door, I feel the chances of chances of a door kick are high. Some things we looked at were best angles for shots with least danger to neighbors. Safe shoot throughs and ambush positions with good retreat path. Commo with PD if phone lines are cut. Accessable firearms, cell phones and such. We are lucky and have been building up security since we moved in in 90's, so we are better off then most. Wrought iron on all doors and windows, double fence around back yard and 3/4ths of house. No hiding areas around front for BG's as we enter driveway and go to front door. Lighting all around house. Just somthing to think about, had a news story of 3 they caught recently. Got me thinking how many people think, "It will never happen to us"

·
Registered
365 Posts
You live in a tough area. I hope all will be well for you.

I have given thought to home security, but I doubt a "home invasion" style crime is as likely around me than where you are. Not that it's impossible ... but just not as likely.
I live in a small patio home in a cul-de-sac. Relatively speaking it's a safe area in a safe part of town. There are rough parts of the town I live in ... but normally the bad stuff stays inside that part of town.
I do have plenty of guns and usually have one fairly accessible to me most of the time.
Most of my neighbors are pretty alert, which is a good thing.
I'm not saying it couldn't happen. It could happen anywhere.
But with all the news about Arizona's new law, and the hot button border security has been in the news these past few years, I think Tucson Arizona is probably a more dangerous spot to live in than Decatur, Alabama.
Keep your powder dry and best to you windwalker!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Yes we are prepared. My wife and I have planned and discussed this subject at length. We don't live in a rough area, but that doesn't eliminate the possibility just reduces the chances.

My wife and I will use the weapons available to us and deadly force isn't ruled out. Kansas has the Castle Law.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This might sound funny

They are actualy good neighbors and we live in the north/west side, a good neighborhood. When Grandma lived there, she kept the kids in line, when she moved out they started bringing the bad crowd home. They had a shooting last year, X-boyfriend shot new boyfriend and hit him 3 times right in front of their house, he lived. Had as many as 8 Sheriff cars lined up down the street once every few months. But they are very respectful to us, they know and tell their friends not to mess with us cause we don't play. Wife had a Fed Background check once, Agent went to interview some neighbors on the street. He told her after that all said we keep to ourselves and nothing bad, but if any trouble happened they would come to us for help. That shocked us at first that people senced that, but then we thought that was kinda cool and a good deterent to the bad ones.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Tommy I hope and pray that it doesn't either but being a cop in a smaller town in Alabama than you live in I can promise you it CAN happen. I assure you it can! The people that live in the "bad" part of town don't typically have much worth kicking a door in for? Their not gonna be kicking in those doors (unless it is drug related) their gonna be kicking in yours or your neighbors. So just stay vigilant. That's the best any of us can do.

·
Registered
365 Posts
epdk9sn said:
Tommy I hope and pray that it doesn't either but being a cop in a smaller town in Alabama than you live in I can promise you it CAN happen. I assure you it can! The people that live in the "bad" part of town don't typically have much worth kicking a door in for? Their not gonna be kicking in those doors (unless it is drug related) their gonna be kicking in yours or your neighbors. So just stay vigilant. That's the best any of us can do.
Absolutly, it can happen. IMHO it can happen anywhere.
My comment about a lot of it being in "the bad part of town" was referencing my belief that a great deal of crime is commited in those particular parts of town by the people who live there, in general. I think in Decatur, a lot of it is drug related. My sister works for the city and knows a lot of police officers and she may actually be better informed than I.

But believe me I do not think I'm in anyway immune from violent crime just because of where I live.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well with all the robberies and home invation on the rise in Texas, I wanted a shot gun for my wife just in case I'm not home. So I bought a mossy 590A1! Whitch didn't work out to good the whole kicking like a mule and than her tryin to rember to pump the action under stress. So I sold the A1 and bought a SPX and she like's it a lot better. some 2 3/4 , 3" 00 in the mag with a couple of slugs in there just in case. She also has her G26 if she can't get to the bedroom.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
A 20g with home defense loads is easier on the shooter and will definately do the job. Just my $.02

·
Registered
803 Posts
Once I was on a weekend fishing trip hours from my home, and my wife called me around midnight, fairly shaken and frightened.............

At about 11:30 PM there was a knock at the door, very unusual for my home. My wife asked who it was, and heard a hispanic mans voice saying "I need to talk to you, can you open the door." She told him he was at the wrong house, and he just kept saying the same thing. She flipped on the extra porch lights and looked through the peephole at a hispanic man in his late 20's or early 30's, probably about 6' and 175 lbs. She told him to ask his question or go. She said that he looked visibly frustrated and his speech was slurred as he demanded that she "open the door so he could ask her a question." She peeped through the blinds and didn't see a vehicle. She told him that "my husband will be home soon, and you can ask him". She ran to the bedroom and grabbed her P239 9mm and ran back to the door. When she returned she looked through the peephole again and saw his shirt, he was trying to look through the small windows at the top of the tall 6 panel front door. She racked the action on the pistol loudly for him to hear it and told him that she had already called 911, and was prepared to shoot him if he didn't leave immediately. When she called she said that he had walked away from the door, but that the motion light on the driveway was still lit. I told her to double check the doors and windows, call 911, and call me right back, and that I would send a good friend over to check everything out. By the time my buddy got there the police had come by, and an officer that covers our neighborhood said that he was going to keep a close patrol around our block for the rest of the evening.

Skip forward about six months. A friend had told me to check out a registered sex offender website, pointing out how shocking it was just how many offenders were in any given neighborhood. You can actually click on a flag and see pictures of the offender, and what their charges were. So my wife and I are mortified and clicking through the profiles near our home. After clicking through a dozen or so, I click on a house about five blocks from ours, and my wife gasps, her voice trembling with emotion.........."That's the guy, that's the fucking guy that was a the door that night." He was a paroled attempted rapist, with more than one sexual offense on his record. We called the officer who had left his card that night. He came by and said he would check it out. The freak was living with relatives, and had skipped town when they found out he had violated his parole. This guy probably recognized that my truck was gone overnight. We live on a corner lot and are always out working in the yard. He had probably targeted my wife upon seeing her (she is quite a beautiful woman) , and then waited until only her vehicle was there over the weekend.

Since this day my family (including my 16 year old son) has loaded firearms strategically hidden in certain areas near phone handsets, and we have a very specific drill which we walk through regularly. My Son owns his own firearms and we shoot regularly. He understands that he is never to touch one of these firearms in my absence, short of an emergency. I suggest that everyone develops a plan for their family defense. If my wife were not armed and prepared to take this persons life without hesitation, there is no telling what kind of tragedy may have occurred that night. I shudder to think................

·
Registered
363 Posts
My family and I live in a nice, quiet small town (think Mayberry). Unfortunately, said small town is in the middle of the Meth belt. Let's just say we've planned accordingly and leave it at that.

Leb

·
Registered
284 Posts
I hate to be rude but this poll, with those options, on this website seems pretty useless. Give us some more answer choices like: retreat to bunker and pull house self destruct lever or escape down secret tunnel and call in air strike or wait for your friends to show up with their 556's and really give them hell...

I guess I'm lucky where home defense is concerned. It's only my wife and I so no kids in the house and it's easy to figure out where the other person is located. I can't see any neighbors from my house and I'm surrounded by small rolling hills and forest so as long as the barrel is horizontal the chance of hitting a neighbor are very slim. Basically. Give me a phone call before you come visiting.

·
Registered
188 Posts
We had someone try to break down the basement door about 6 months ago then two weeks later I scared a guy out from under the back deck near the basement windows and I live in one of the only sections of town whose home values grew last year. Thank god for the canine security system and the 870 solution. Hope no one actually makes it in. I would hate to have to take a life.

·
Registered
188 Posts
OK, just to get this out there, I have never stolen anything in my life, try my best to follow the law, and live by the motto "You need to be able to look yourself in the mirror in the morning." With that being said....why would anyone break into someones house? There is a really good chance you are going to meet a firearm.....and I know in my house the intruder loses, definitely. 12 gauge with turkey load @ 10 yards would usually do the job. If that doesnt work ak47 with hollows as a back up. Then the claymore mines (just kidding). Like I stated, I am not a criminal but COME ON, find a safer way to steal a buck.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I think that is why many home break-ins occur during the day when people are at work. The regular thief wants to get away with your stuff without confrontation. It's the sex offenders, very stupid criminals & those thinking their drug dealer works there that try to break in at 2am.

·
Registered
518 Posts
One suggestion, get a dog. Get a small to medium yippy one that barks at anything that goes by; terriers are the best since they are all these things and fearless to boot. If you like and can find big dogs that fit this bill then even better. They are a great deterrent, will wake you in case of danger, and dogs can sense (sight, smell, sound) things better than we can. Especially at night, dogs' vision is geared towards night time use so they can see into the shadows; they are not color-blind, they just see less colors and in less saturation than we do because their eyes are for seeing into the failing light and shadows. Our eyes are for daytime use so our color perception is much better.

My dog woke me when people were breaking into my truck toolbox; it either heard them climbing into the back of my truck (the leaf springs are pretty squeaky) or saw them from beneath the blinds. I was a second too late to get a shot off but I got a good description of the vehicle and the cops got the people and I got all my stuff back within an hour of it happening. These people broke into or stole out of a dozen other vehicles in the neighborhood before they got to me; I was the last since the officer who took my statement happened to be driving by looking for these people when he saw me digging around in my toolbox trying to make a list of what was stolen. I was the last victim since my dog woke me in time to see them in my truck bed.

My neighbors have dogs and I can tell, by their barking, where something is moving in an alley without even having to look outside or see it. We have a lot of possums and stray cats so it usually/most likely is not a person creeping down the alley but that sort of advanced warning system or suburban radar is nice.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Our Great Dane and St Bernard are pretty good deterrents (the are inside dogs).

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you have a carry permit and carry several hours a day, just leave it on when you get home. There is no more secure place to store a handgun than in a holster on your belt.
(as I type this, however I am in pajamas at 6:30 am.)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Almost Happened Here

Just a week ago my friend who I taught to shoot in this thread: http://www.sigarms556.com/viewtopic.php?t=9275 was at home alone. Her dog, which normally sleeps through earthquakes and mailmen etc., suddenly awoke growling and headed to the front door hackles raised and barking (she NEVER barks).

A few seconds later a knock on the front door. Friend grabs her Glock 23, stand around corner from door and asks who it is. Male voice answers "Clark Pest Control." SInce she had not called them and doesn't need them she said "no thanks" and he replied with some mumbling. She looked out the front window and sees there is NO Clark truck anywhere on the street. He knocks again asking her to open the door. She declines again then mentions that there is no Clark truck, she has already dialed 911 and that she is armed. More mumbling from the other side of the door and then footsteps away from door and down the walkway.

Police arrive several minutes later, take report and then tell her there is a rash of burglaries that evening, one on the street behind her so they think this person had hopped back fence and tried her house.

Needless to say she was a bit shook up but at least had the presence of mind to NOT assume that an unannounced visit is from a friendly person. These days (hell for decades in my family) it has been "Trust but Verify." If I don't know you and/or you were not invited then you are a threat and will be dealt with as such until proven otherwise. In cases such as this it is NOT "Innocent until proven guilty" - it is the other way around.

Smart Girl.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts