Hogue Grip for the 556 | Page 2 | SIG Sauer 556 Forum

Hogue Grip for the 556

Discussion in 'New Products' started by mgentry, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Scutarius

Scutarius New Member

I have a classic sig 556 patrol -

I have taken the grip out to the range. It's gorgeous. Finally. Rubberized harder surface on the lateral aspects of the grip, hollowed in the center (has lip in the lower portion - bottom container?) Softer on the finger grips and posterior. Im in Louisiana in the hog sweatin heat and I could finally hold the grip tight. Holding on and shooting sideways through a slot, the rubber grip holds the weight of the rifle better in with non gloved hand than the other grips I have tried.

From a lefties perspective: With the DDLES extension my thumb knuckle still rubs on the pivot point when running and gunning with it still. I felt that Manticore arms was a little better for reaching the safety switch (I use my thumb to go off and index to go on) as I could slide my hand down faster with the non-grip texture to switch it off (via my Leftie style), but then I am losing grip for the split second to do that, and if your life matters by your rifle, well someone could knock it out of my hand at that moment changing the game around. I felt my hand finally could stay put with the grip

From a short finger perspective: It is an improvement over both the Manticore grip reach as well as the stock. However I have to say shooting Righty with my Manticore grip, I really didn't have an issue. Reaching for my Ambi mag release was easier as well.

Overall - I have to say it's a 8.5/10. It sweat country, it is great, to not have skater tape on something and hold onto it. My hand soaking wet it was still holding on great. The grip allows a one hand hold in various positions with the rifle, which I felt couldn't be accomplished with other grips I have tried. For someone with shorter fingers it will improve your magazine release. A bottom container (rubber bottom snap in) lid would be great. I would bump it to a 9 if they did. Nothing ever gets a 10 IMHO so I guess everyone would need to take that into consideration.

Sorry for the potato of a cam I shot these with and yes my booger finger is off the trigger. :mrgreen:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Scutarius

Scutarius New Member

One more underneath:

[​IMG]

3. Reno

Reno Member

Not impressed with it, never cared for their rifle grips, too fat and bulky for my taste.

Can't imagine why it took them forever and a year to come out with that, the final product leaves alot to be desired imo.

4. atp

atp Member

I find the factory Sig grip much too large for my liking. The Manticore (first generation) grip I have on my 556 is definitely an improvment, but is still a little larger than I'd like. So you're saying that the Hogue is a bit smaller than the Manticore grip, shorter reach to the trigger, better for someone with small hands? Ideally I'd like my Sig 556 to have the same trigger reach as an AR-15 with its standard grip (which is smaller than most other rifles).

5. Xaque

Xaque Member

I did a comparison of the up-until-now available grips (including a modified AR one):

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14145&p=89374

6. CPN

CPN New Member

Just put the Hogue with finger grooves on my 556R and I think it's fantastic!

Thought I'd mention that the angle or 'rake' of the Hogue is probably 4 degrees less than the SIG, so your wrist isn't cocked forward at as much of an angle. It's also slightly longer, so your little finger really can hold on well. Definitely the way to go if you don't have big hands. Extremely comfortable.

Midway was sold out, so I got mine on Amazon for under $20. Received it in two days with free shipping.

7. 556Raven

556Raven Member

Had 2 "finger-grooved" Hogue grips on AKs and liked them a lot.
    Decided for "grooveless" on SIG and like it even more. Easier to reach the safety lever; fits me just right.
    My palms are rather "long", and my grip wraps around this one just perfect.
    However, I see how folks with smaller palm size would find Hogue grips as "too bulky". Hogue should offer at least two sizes: current one (I'd call it "Large") and smaller one ("Medium" or "Small/Medium").
    Otherwise, no regrets.

P.S. Had to remove some "base" plastic material, as heard in some posts on this Forum to eliminate the small gap. Not an "exact" fit for 556xi, but not a "show stopper". I'd say removal of ~1/32" on each side (trigger guard and receiver) should be enough. Hopefully, Hogue will take a notice and adjust accordingly. Not sure if it's "xi" issue only, but that's what I've heard about and experienced with my boomstick.
    Happy Shooting!
    WP_20141109_008[1]s.jpg

8. gumby

gumby Member

The finger less hogue is my favorite grip for the Sig to date. Ive had the factory, reshaped factory, magpul Moe, stark and troy battle grip.

9. Slobo

Slobo New Member

Just picked up a Hogue grip for my 556 Classic. I did not realize it required trimming to fit. Had to do that to the swiss factory pistol grip I put on it to replace the "factory" US grip and not keen on having to do it again. What did you use, an exacto knife?.

10. 556Raven

556Raven Member

I used narrow rectangular file. Check your fit first: what if this issue is with "xi" models only?
    Please, notice: it's a shape of recessed hard plastic, and not the rubber overmold, that is an issue; otherwise you could crank it slightly tighter, and have overlapping rubber overmold fill the gap.
    Keep in mind that unlike SIG's, Hogue doesn't have built-in/molded in nut; Hogue's nut recess is formed inside the plastic base, so it's not hard to strip if overtightened. Watch out for that evil pin spring: don't lose or bend upon the PG (re-)installation.
    Remove the original PG and push the Hogue grip up (against the bottom of receiver) and forward (against the trigger guard).
    If you don't see the gap (between the grip and either/or surfaces), then no mods needed.
    HTH,
    Have fun!
    WP_20141109_001[1]s.jpg
    WP_20141109_006[1]s.jpg
    WP_20141109_007[1]s.jpg
    Not an original gap (which is significantly narrower). Illustrating the position of spring upon removal/installation:
    WP_20141109_004[1]m.jpg

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015