SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This 40 minute video should be REQUIRED viewing for all Public and Private High School students. Actually, it should be required for ALL teachers and professors as well come to think of it.

It's a 40 minute video that is an introduction to 'critical thinking'. I have shown it to many of my friends, some highly educated, some not as educated, the reactions and the differences in reactions are quite telling.

http://herebedragonsmovie.com/

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
SpeedQuest knows that Professional Paranormal Genetic Engineering PseudoScientist's like myself don't get duped by the mass media..... :shock: :shock: :shock: :D

·
Registered
306 Posts
CoriBennett said:
Great video! Ballsy posting it in the secton that is frequented by the tin foil hat crowd!
so true but funny.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I wish I hadn't just sat through that. He was all over the place. I'm not sure what awe inspiring importance you see in it. Half was common sense, and the other half rubbish. I'm not sure how organic foods, vitamins, and certain clinically proven natural remedies fall into the pseudosciences. And it really takes zero balls to say anything to anyone in complete anonymity.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trey73 said:
I'm not sure what awe inspiring importance you see in it. Half was common sense, and the other half rubbish..
The point of showing this to our youth, and the people in charge of educating our youth is for ONE REASON ONLY. To get them to think for themselves and to question things before believing them wholeheartedly. You, Trey73, should be able to appreciate that point of view more than anyone here based on what I have seen you posting. As far as your comment about 1/2 being rubbish, I challenge you to point out even one point or statement made in that video that was 'Rubbish'. And please, let's use reputable sources for your 'rubbish' findings.

Trey73 said:
I'm not sure how organic foods, vitamins, and certain clinically proven natural remedies fall into the pseudosciences. And it really takes zero balls to say anything to anyone in complete anonymity.
"Organic food" is a great one to be skeptical of!!! As Mr. Dunning points out here: http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4166

"Scientifically, the term "organic food" is meaningless. It's like saying a "human person". All food is organic. All plants and animals are organic. Traditionally, an organic compound is one produced by life processes; chemically, it's any carbon-containing molecule with a carbon-hydrogen bond. Plastic and coal are organic, a diamond is not. So when we refer to organic food in such a way to exclude similar foods that are just as organic chemically, we're outside of any meaningful scientific use of the word, and are using it as a marketing label."
As far as vitamins go, http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4103 , the author himself even admits that:
I know all of this, but every time the cold and flu season comes around, I still catch myself eyeing that vitamin C bottle. I'm like the jungle native who's been baptised by the missionaries, but whenever the volcano erupts, I still run to the stone pagan idol.
And those "Clincally proven natural remedies" you point at... Is that "Clinically proven" through a reliable, reputable double blind study? Or is that just some Homeopathicly oriented person subjecting a person to an Avogadro's Number quantity of bee sting in order to reduce their allergy to bee neurotoxin?

As far as the comment about balls, I didn't make the original post, but I can say that this is a two-way street. I posted this to get people to think, not to change the way they think, but to hopefully get them to analyze how they think. To get them to understand why people make the claims that they do, about the topics they do, and how many times people who consider themselves to be thinkers, are really being duped into 'psuedosciences', parlor tricks, shady marketing and mental sleight of hand.

·
Registered
31 Posts
CoriBennett said:
Great video! Ballsy posting it in the secton that is frequented by the tin foil hat crowd!
What I meant by it being "ballsy" was that the post/video would likely provoke some hostile responses directed towards SpeedQuest, especially since the 556 lounge has several folks posting in it that lean towards conspiracy theories. 9/11 truthers, FEMA Camps, and black helicopter types usually don't like being told that they believe in "dragons".

What I appreciated about the movie is that it encouraged independent thinking and not being one of the "sheeple"

·
Registered
803 Posts
It just seemed like it was especially partial to the pharmaceutical industry to me. For the record, many products that are pharmaceutical staples are synthetic versions of, or concentrated extractions of naturally occurring chemicals found in nature. Various civilizations were making simple extractions of things such as aspirin long before they knew exactly how they worked. That doesn't mean they didn't work though. There are tons of hokey pseudo-science products out there. I always laugh when I see ads for magnets and crystals, and such. But there are many homeopathic remedies that are simply natural equivalents of their pharmaceutical counterparts.

What does organic food have to do with "snake oil" products was my question? Many civilized nations throughout the world are beginning to prohibit GMO agri-crops, as serious issues are now coming to light. If livestock is dying or not developing correctly when exclusively fed GMO feeds, it's a safe bet that there are serious risks for humans consuming the same products. A great documentary is "The World According to Monsanto". If you don't know the whole story, it will make your jaw drop.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts