SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I found your forum a few weeks ago and have enjoyed soaking up some info and checking out the pics. I'm almost ready to take the plunge and pick up a 556 rifle. I need some help picking the model. I want one that I can put a Magpul UBR stock on. As best as I can tell, this means I should look for a 556 standard. Is that right? I will eventually put the swiss style handguards on it, and try to rig up a bipod.

So I basically need to know if getting a 556 standard or holo model will allow me to set this up the way I want it, and also does anyone know where I can get one of these? I have a couple leads, but if anybody else knows a good place I'm all ears.

Thanks!

·
Registered
186 Posts
m4 style 556

a gun shop near me has one. thay have it priced at $1100.
i really did not look at it close. they are called sportsmans choice, in brighton tennessee. phone 901 840-3006

·
Registered
384 Posts
I've taken my ubr stock off my 556 and replace it with an ace skeleton stock.

If I ever build a precision AR in 308 I'll put the ubr on it. For me, the weight of the UBR on the 556 detracted from the utility of the gun. For the record,I am not a small man.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
524 Posts
deadduck357 said:
That would be redundant! He would pay more just to remove the only feature that increases the base price. Classics are crap anyway.

If you're looking for an M4 style SIG, then do a little more searching and find a used one with a JS serial prefix and lower than 11000 serial number. They are out there and available.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Nittany Lion said:
He would pay more just to remove the only feature that increases the base price. Classics are crap anyway.
The classics are the preferred configuration by far. Labeling them crap is a reach. The market value of a classic lower is about $300-$400 more than an AR stock 556 lower. Folded, a classic 556 is around 1/2" shorter in overall length also, which is nice for storing in small cases. You can get a classic for $1,380 (and in some cases get a free 522 at that price), so why not consider it vs. the original 556?

To the OP: a classic plus AR stock adapter is a route to consider. If you tire of the function/ weight/ looks of the UBR, you still have all options open to you (any AR stock plus the US or Swiss classic folders). If you figure out that you love the UBR and want to keep it, you can trade the classic lower for a AR style lower plus a few hundred bucks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nittany Lion said:
That would be redundant! He would pay more just to remove the only feature that increases the base price. Classics are crap anyway.

If you're looking for an M4 style SIG, then do a little more searching and find a used one with a JS serial prefix and lower than 11000 serial number. They are out there and available.
OK, I must have missed something in my reading. What is the significance of the JS prefix and sub-11k serial number? I am POSITIVE I do not want a folding stock for this rifle. While that is a cool feature and I may want one for another 556 rifle if I LOVE the first one I get, I am buying this rifle with the intent to use it mainly for shooting club AR matches. Based on what I have seen, I need something capable of 2" groups at 100 yards and the ability to accept a bipod and optics. I know there are more accurate DI rifles out there, but this rifle SHOULD be accurate enough for my purposes, and I like the overall design and function of the rifle, plus the comments about the very soft recoil. I may go with a different stock at some point, but right now the UBR looks good to me. The other candidates are the PRS and the classic A2. I want something rigid for an emphasis on consistency. It will most likely be scoped with an ACOG or CQT or something similar. If a standard is the easiest and cheapest way for me to obtain this setup, then that's the route I want to go.

Thanks for your help. If you have any other suggestions, pass'em along.

·
Registered
524 Posts
JS is the prefix for the earliest production run of 556 on US soil. These had the highest attention to quality control from the factory.
Except the few receivers with rails that were canted between the serials of approx 1500 to 4000.

The easiest way to tell the difference in Sig's quality and corner cutting is by looking at the buffer tube. Everything up to approx 11000 (plus or minus 1k) had a metal buffer tube. After this range they changed it to a polymer tube

1 - 8 of 8 Posts