SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I think I want to buy a DPMS .308 rifle next. I am torn between buying the SASS (18" barrel is the largest I've seen) or buying a LR 308 with a 24" barrel. The rifle will be my entry into longer range shooting and will be bench/ground fired exclusively.

The SASS appears to be a solid rifle right off the shelf. I would change none of the cosmetics on the SASS if I got it.

The LR 308 is a lot cheaper. I hear people often complain about the stock triggers on the LR and would be willing to replace. How hard would it be to replace this trigger? I have read that it may require grinding or polishing, neither of which I would be willing to do. I have also read that you can swap out the springs which again is something I have no desire to do. Is it possible to just buy a new trigger assembly and swap it out for a lighter pull?

So I guess my question is should I just buy the gun that already has everything I want on it (except the optic) or try to save money and buy a LR-308 with 24" barrel for a lot cheaper. I would only be changing the trigger assembly and would have to pay someone to do it since I do not know what I'm doing.

Any other Semi-Auto 308 precision rifles that may work for me?

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'd go with the SASS first, though DPMS wouldn't be my first choice for an 7.62 AR. My reasoning is thus: It's an AR-type system. If you decide that you need a longer barrel, you can simply buy another upper receiver assembly and drop it on. Plug and Play, if you will. The SASS will have a better trigger out of the box than the LR. Plus it has more rail space for optics. Bottom Line: The SASS will have more of what you want from jump.

Changing the trigger assembly is easy as pie. Many aftermarket triggers come as a one piece "trigger pack." Timney and Gisselle come to mind. One the lower receiver, just above the trigger are two pins. Push the top pin out; this releases the hammer and spring. then push the lower pin out; this releases the trigger and hammer catch. Then install the new trigger pack. Most will come with detailed instructions. When researching triggers, look for the term "No fitting neccessary." Those are straight drop-in components and rarely need adjusting. If an adjustment is needed most 'smiths are pretty well versed in the AR system by now and can make the fitment with little muss and fuss.

Leb

·
Registered
518 Posts
If cost is not a factor, I would suggest the LWRC REPR http://www.lwrci.com/p-120-repr.aspx. It has a left side mounted charging handle rather than the traditional over the buffer tube charging handle like other AR-10 rifles. So, you do not have to break cheek weld to load, clear, or perform immediate action. It uses a gas piston rather than DI. The selector turns it into a single shot high precision rifle or a true semi-auto. It has quick change barrels from 12" to 20" in varying thickness. Obviously the short ones are light profile barrels for close work and the longer ones are heavier for distance. They made this feature so sniper teams or designated marksmen did not have to carry a heavy sniper rifle system, a carbine or other primary weapon, and the two ammo loads for each of them. Instead you have a rifle, in a single caliber, that converts from CQB, to a patrol rifle, or a long-distance sniper rifle. The only drawback is the $3K+ sticker price.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would love the REPR but I want to marry whatever rifle I get with a 3.5-15x Nightforce scope and those are too pricey for me to buy a $3K rifle to put it on. Maybe I'll just save up and wait till I can get them both together, or go with a cheaper optic at first (maybe a SS from SWFA).

Thanks for the tip.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
ullie said:
...if you want a nice AR in 308...the DPMS is just fine...and a great value for the money...and you can actually order one that suits you...from the ground up...you can actually "build it yourself" so to speak...check out their website to see what i mean...

... http://www.dpmsinc.com/

...i would recomend a standard A3 model with a 20 inch barrel...which would give you the "rifle length" gas system...i would go with a railed gas block so that i could mount a folding front sight...you will not have any optical clutter when mounting a non-magnifying optic or a low power variable scope...and possibly a "standard" two stage trigger...just the basics...with the money you save...you can buy yourself a really good quality optic and a good mount...

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Aubie said:
I want to marry whatever rifle I get with a 3.5-15x Nightforce scope and those are too pricey for me to buy a $3K rifle to put it on..
...the Nightforce 3.5-15 x 50 NXS rivals anything on the market including scopes priced more than twice as much...and is the perfect magnification range for a 308 in my opinion...i would go with the NP-R1 reticle...and a Larue mount...

...stay with the good glass and don't look back...you won't be sorry...

...just saying...

·
Registered
453 Posts
ullie said:
Aubie said:
I want to marry whatever rifle I get with a 3.5-15x Nightforce scope and those are too pricey for me to buy a $3K rifle to put it on..
...the Nightforce 3.5-15 x 50 NXS rivals anything on the market including scopes priced more than twice as much...and is the perfect magnification range for a 308 in my opinion...i would go with the NP-R1 reticle...and a Larue mount...

...stay with the good glass and don't look back...you won't be sorry...

...just saying...
Ullie,

Why do you prefer the Nightforce 3.5-15 x 50 NXS over the 56? Also, why the NP-R1 reticle over the Mildot system? Just curious.

·
Registered
263 Posts
My advice = FN SCAR 17S, Nightforce scope, Trijicon RMR for close quarters.

Pictures of mine in The Photo Shop....

I paid $2329 plus tax, under $2500 out the door. :wink:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Clyde said:
My advice = FN SCAR 17S, Nightforce scope, Trijicon RMR for close quarters.

Pictures of mine in The Photo Shop....

I paid $2329 plus tax, under $2500 out the door. :wink:
Clyde,

Does the Trijicon RMR mount on top of the scope?

Also....are you a multimillionaire? :shock:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Not to digress from the good discussion already about .308 platforms, (I'm also in the market for a first .308 AR variant SPR type) but I heard something today I'd like to get input on....I've been pretty partial to the POF 308 for a few months and have been saving towards that goal in the next 6 months, and was told by a fairly reputable gun dealer that POF has been having major op rod issues around around higher round counts and that they don't deal with POF given customer service and a faulty product. I also heard that POF has not eliminated carrier tilt. Instead they recommend (and carry, btw) LWRC products...Now I've always heard spectacular things about POF and when I saw their products in Charlotte, I was blown away. Now, with LMT coming out with their .308, the existing good choices of DPMS and Rock River Arms (which is substantially less than both POF and LWRC) I'm beginning to rethink things...Any insight? Heard about issues with POF or LWRC?

I'll probably never shoot the round counts required to start seeing these reported failures, but in any case I want to make sure the rifle I'm plunking down over 2 grand for BEFORE a Nightforce is worthy of my long-saved cash.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I've heard of mags not seating properly in the LWRC REPR 308. Mags would fall out, failures to feed. Many have sent theirs back to LWRC for a fix and returned with 100% reliability. There is a YouTube video that shows the problem.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I own both a POF and an LWRC, albeit in 5.56. Both are very well made and have been a pleasure to own and shoot. The POF has about 6K down it and the LWRC has about 3K. I've not seen any indications of carrier tilt with the POF; I have a minor wear mark on the receiver extension of the LWRC. IIRC, LWRCi has made an improvement on the mag catch to the REPR.

Leb

·
Registered
263 Posts
Aaron, the RMR mounts on a Daniel Defense one o'clock offset mount, on the picatinny rail, underneath the scope.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts