SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hello and welcome! Shoot the piss out of her, that is what she is made for.

Don't dwell too much on the negativity you may come across here.....the rifles are hardly as bad as some make them out to be.

Enjoy your rifle!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hell yea dude. I have been cruising this website for a few weeks and it seems alot of negatativity coming from it. Whats up with that?

·
Registered
179 Posts
bluefin556 said:
Hell yea dude. I have been cruising this website for a few weeks and it seems alot of negatativity coming from it. Whats up with that?
Well, in all honesty, it has to do with three things, in my humble opinion:

1. 20/20 hindsight about what SIG rifles were/are. The 550, 551, 552 series etc. People are expecting the 556 to be "as good as" rifles which many have never actually shot the piss out of, mostly because either A) they used them years ago in combat when MOA accuracy took a back seat to killing the bad guy, and B) those rifles are pre-ban and cost well over $10,000-15,000 just to touch and most can't afford them anyhow.

2. Price Point vs. Performance Logic. You can buy an AR variant for under $850 which is a bit more accurate and an AK variant for under $500 that never breaks down, ever. Why should someone pay upwards of $1,500-2,000 for a SIG that falls somewhere in between?

3. The Internet. If you put enough people together about a singular topic on the internet, someone somewhere is going to have enough time on their hands to nit pick every little detail and start the ball rolling. Eventually you have people that have never shot a friggin gun before in their life that are the next John MFin' Browning because they "read about this issue on xyzforum" and feel they are now more qualified to be the rifle quality control Jesus...

Fact is nobody, NOBODY, on this site or any other site has shot the wheels off a SIG 556 enough to break down one due to over use.....many of the "problem" rifles have been shot less than 100 times, and the modus operandi for ANY firearm is the first 500 rounds are break in, and then and ONLY then are any tests to be conducted regarding FTF, FTE, broken s**t, etc.....

JMHSO........ My rifle has over 5,500 rounds through it and has never once failed to feed, eject, whistle dixie, cook me breakfast, etc. Partly because:

A) I buy good ammo.
B) I buy good magazines.
C) I have reasonable expectations regarding accuracy.
D) I clean and maintain my rifle.

K I'm ranting now and have gone well beyond breaking my own rule (see signature) but some of the issues people complain about really bug me. I have never, EVER, seen a firearm go through such microscopic nit picking on such a large scale before. EVER.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I just put mine into the shop after shooting it for 1st time. It would not cycle properly in the vertical position. It cycled great in the 1 O Clock position. So I figure something must have gone bad in assembly but I am keeping the faith because the rifle is awesome. I am not letting this hiccup ruin my opinion of the rifle. It cannot be that big of a problem (probably just a small adjustment) if it is great in the 1 O Clock position. I have put less than 500 rounds through it and I cant judge it yet.
Do not get me wrong I am not happy that I had to put it in the shop so soon but I am going to give the rifle a chance. In the 1 O Clock position it was great at 100 yards. We will see once the gunshop gives it back to me and I can shoot it again. It got a lot of looks at the range, it is very pleasing to the eye.

·
Registered
179 Posts
bummer...blows my theory all to hell.

The gun shop I bought mine from has sold eleven 556's and none have had any problems.

Small town--everybody knows everybody--and we shoot together alot. no issues.

I use HK high reliability, NHMTG, and Lancer magazines. Never had a problem.

sorry to hear of your troubles.... :(

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is why I am gonna let the chips fall where they may. Ill get the gun back tuesday and hopefully that will be my first and only problem. I have read on this site that it is a problem that a few people have encountered right out of the box. All things considered I think it is just gonna be an adjustment that has to be made.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I like your attitude about it.
8)

Keep us all informed as to what the outcome is! *THEN* go shoot the wheels off her. :)

Cheers!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK. I got the gun back today. The gas adjuster nob was installed incorrectly. This "minor" detail got past both sig and the first gunsmith. At first they told me to remove the gas block and just clean it and try new ammo, then wehn the owner of the store looked at the gun closer while showing me how to take the gas chamber apart. He was like "this looks f'ed up!" Then we fixed it and now instead of just sliding into splace when I turn the gas from the 12 0 clock to the 1 0 clock it clicks...that gun did not click right out of the box. The owner fired 5 rounds into a trap and that was enough convince us the problem has been solved!!! Now I get to blast this thing without being frustrated. The owner of this store runs a great shop. I onloy shop there. Anyone interested in the shop and lives on Long ISland pm me and I will tell you where it is. I dont want to publicly post someone elses business wihtout permission.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Welcome aboard. Fellow Long Island shooter here. Went to Brookhaven with my Sig556 last Friday.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts