SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm the new admin for the site. I recently took over tech duties for Bill's and have spent most of my time revamping BillsGS.com. Now that most of that work is finished, I'm going to begin work on patching up some of these satellite sites such as sigarms556.

What's the mean? Well, not a whole lot from your end, other than an improved forum experience. Graphically, the site will undergo pretty huge changes and some of the changes may not be exactly to your liking. Unfortunately, this is impossible to avoid because this site is running a rather ancient form of PHPBB. The first thing I will need to do is upgrade the site to the latest form of the software, which will involve some pretty drastic changes because of the length with which this software has been left idle.

On the upside, spam will decrease, board options will increase, and there will be loads of new things to play around with on the board.

Anyway, this will take me a little time because I haven't even begun to look over the site and see where everything stands but I'll be doing a lot of that today. Just wanted to give you all a head's-up on where the site stands.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Thanks for letting us know what is going on and good luck with the new "clothes" so to speak.

·
Registered
264 Posts
This might be old software but it is the fastest loading

I know you have to follow the money, but the thing I like most about this site is how fast it loads. If it ain't broke don't, why change/break it?

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Re: This might be old software but it is the fastest loading

windwalker said:
I know you have to follow the money, but the thing I like most about this site is how fast it loads. If it ain't broke don't, why change/break it?
The site is blazing fast, I'll give it that.

The problem really comes down to the forum software. PHPBB 2.x (the board's current software) is prone to spambot attacks, fake accounts, and a host of other problems that require non-stop maintenance on the admin side of things. It's just outdated and hasn't been kept up to date with the latest forms of spam attacks.

An upgrade to 3.x and a few plug-ins and patches and nearly all of that goes away.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts

windwalker said:
Don't forget that some of us live way way out in the country and still use dial-up....hate to admit it but true for me when I am not on the T-100 line at work.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
BTW, if there is a speed difference, it will be largely due to the transition to a new host and not something from the board upgrades. 3.x doesn't seem to have any speed problems in comparison to 2.x.

As I do with all boards I install, I will work to keep image sizes down, which is often the cause of forum slowdown for those with slower connections.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Greetings bbeauchamp,

Welcome to the snake pit! :)

Thank you for taking on an often thank-less job. I'm sure you'll do fine. I'm new here but I like what I have found.

Have a great week,
MeridianNW~

·
Registered
427 Posts

bbeauchamp said:
An upgrade to 3.x and a few plug-ins and patches and nearly all of that goes away.
Good luck with that bbeauchamp. Granted 3.x is way better then 2.x in that department, but those things will never go away. As soon as a 3.x release is made, the bots and the like hack right around it before the new download is even cold. That's just the crappy times we live in. Have been doing this for more years then I want to remember.

Anyway, welcome and good luck with the upgrades. I'm sure you'll do a bang up job.

(edit for spelling errors) :oops:

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
I've found a few patches and plug-ins that keep all but a few spammers off another board I run. Every so often you need to find new tricks but there are some plug-ins I know of that work pretty well under 3.x.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good Luck Sir, I enjoy the forum very much I don't post a lot but I read a lot and find it very informative.

Doug. :D

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
bbeauchamp said:
What's the mean? Well, not a whole lot from your end, other than an improved forum experience. Graphically, the site will undergo pretty huge changes and some of the changes may not be exactly to your liking. Unfortunately, this is impossible to avoid because this site is running a rather ancient form of PHPBB. The first thing I will need to do is upgrade the site to the latest form of the software, which will involve some pretty drastic changes because of the length with which this software has been left idle.

On the upside, spam will decrease, board options will increase, and there will be loads of new things to play around with on the board.

Anyway, this will take me a little time because I haven't even begun to look over the site and see where everything stands but I'll be doing a lot of that today. Just wanted to give you all a head's-up on where the site stands.
Awesome, seems my wish from the other topic already came true and you will be updating the forum software, you rock!

Can't wait for the new forum. 8)

·
Registered
161 Posts
bbeauchamp said:
...this site is running a rather ancient form of PHPBB. The first thing I will need to do is upgrade the site to the latest form of the software
I was wondering who was admin for that. I'm actually surprised we have not been picked on yet.

ver. 3.07-PL1 should do it.

Jack

·
Registered
123 Posts
Welcome aboard. Many thanks for all the work you are doing. I'm sure our forum will be better for it.

·
Registered
524 Posts
It's nice to know that those extreme bondage website linked spams that get posted on here at 4 am east coast will no longer happen. It's funny how fast they get deleted!

My favorite one to follow was the two girls, one cup.... just kidding.

But in all seriousness, we totally need to block the M4 dudes from peddling their crap stuff in our sig non-ffl section. :twisted:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts