SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be in New Hampshire later this summer to celebrate my new CCW permit for that state. I was wondering if anyone has toured the facility or brought their rifle directly to Sig to give it a QA check. Since I'll be out there I thought I'd bring my Sig rifles with to have them go over some concerns. Has anyone else done this? Was it worth it? Has anyone tried but was turned down due to some protocol or corporate policy? I would call Customer Service to find out but it seems like they give out various answers for all of our questions. I'm thinking of just springing this on them when I get there.

Thanks, - and, I can't imagine that I would be, but if I'm the first to do this I'll be happy to report what happens.

·
Registered
427 Posts
You will not get anywhere near the plant. If that is your intent, might as well make different plans for your visit here.

They have a very nice pro shop at the school, with everything they produce and sell. Think of it as a gift shop for big boys. Really nice and worth some time looking around.

Have a great visit to New Hampshire!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
racenet,

Thanks for the reply and the well wishes on my visit. I'm looking forward to visiting the school and the pro shop. I guess I'll have to continue my search for someone with Ullie's skill to look over my rifles - no gunsmiths in my area that know Sigs very well. I just have this feeling that my rifles aren't up to their full potential but I'm not experienced enough to put my finger on it. I'm looking for someone with knowledge to say either, "yeah, that's not right send them back," or, "you're imagining things, they're fine."

Thanks again.

·
Registered
427 Posts
LOL

You won't find anyone in Exeter with Ullie's skill. :shock:

That man is one of a kind. :wink:

If you happen to be coming up to the northern part of the state during your visit, drop me a PM and we'll do some shooting.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
TO find someone with ullies skill, one must find ullie himself.

Perhaps a pilgrimage to his state?

·
Vendor
825 Posts
I hear that Ullie gives tours ...

I once got a tour of the SIG Arms plant in Neuhausen, Switzerland, back in the days before SIG sold it off.

Actually, it was pretty boring. It was all just a bunch of machine tools, each making a little part. There was a barrel of blanks on one side, and a barrel of finished parts on the other. In no one had told me, I would not have known it was guns, 'cause it looked just like every other machine shop I have ever seen.

The one outstnading operation was the hydraulic barrel hammer forging operation, where these short/fat barrels were turned on a lathe, then put into this conic die, and a hydraulic ram impact hammered them, so they slowly squeezed through. The short fat barrel blanks came out long skinny barrels on the other side.

We saw the test range, which was also pretty boring, because it was jsut a 100 yard long tunnel, parallel to a corridor, but with a concrete wall. At one end there was a built in ransom rest that uppers would fit. On the other end was an electronic gizmo that recorded shot placements. It didn't help that I was there after hours, so it was closed, but it was very much a test machine that you clamp an upper on to, cycle it, move to the next upper, etc.

They also had an indoor training range where people could fire, but only frangible non-lead rounds. Again, it was closed.

Despite the fact that guns are cool, gun parts are just machined metal parts, same as any other.

Art

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.