SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a classic 556 with the tri rail and folding collapsibe stock. overall I have been quite impressed with the weapon through the first 100 rounds but have noticed a few minor problems. The one that concerned me is the bolt getting hung up just forward of the bolt catch due to so much upwards pressure from the hammer. It has only happened once while firing but catches regularly when manually charging. Is this something I can expect to go away as the weapon becomes more broke in or is it something I should be concerned with as a spec problem??

·
Registered
188 Posts
Did you go through Ullie's procedure for rifle break in yet. If you haven't I would highly recommend it. My rifle's bolt carrier also catches on the hammer when manually charged very slowly, but during firing its not a problem. Hope this helps and it shouldn't be a problem, if it does become a problem after 500 rounds or so send it back and they'll make it right.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I haven't read that thread yet, I'm brand new to the forums but will definately check it out. Good to know its not a problem specific to. My weapon and is hopefully something that will work itself out. Thanks!

·
Registered
188 Posts
No problem. The thread name is "How to treat the new arrival"

·
Vendor
825 Posts
I ran into this problem with a hammer I made myself. The rear edge of the hammer needs a radius, so the bolt carrier does not catch on it. A touch to a belt sander ought to fix it.

Art

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
punger66 said:
It has only happened once while firing but catches regularly when manually charging. Is this something I can expect to go away as the weapon becomes more broke in or is it something I should be concerned with as a spec problem??
...normally you have to "get it to hang" by allowing the BCG to go fowards "very" slowly...and it should eventually smooth out...

...it shouldn't happen when actually firing your 556...or hang when briskly charging it...

...it may go away eventually...if it doesn't...you need to return your 556 to Sig...your hammer may be sitting too high...normally...the bolt ramp impacts the hammer in front the rear ledge...and the top of the hammer is angled downwards to the rear...so it shouldn't hang...

... http://www.sigarms556.com/viewtopic.php?t=5637

1 - 6 of 6 Posts